New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3,826 of 6,017
Quote:
So I'm reading a lot about how the HE-400 is a great all around can that does everything well. But I have a question for you guys: is there any genre of music that you prefer to reach for a different pair of cans for? How do they handle hip-hop and electronic music?

I would love to trade all my cans in for one pair, but I want everything I listen to to be enjoyable.

Hip-hop / electronic? It eats those music genres for breakfast.

The things that it performs least well on are certain female vocals...that's about it. Everything else it excels at.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #3,827 of 6,017
Quote:
So I'm reading a lot about how the HE-400 is a great all around can that does everything well. But I have a question for you guys: is there any genre of music that you prefer to reach for a different pair of cans for? How do they handle hip-hop and electronic music?

I would love to trade all my cans in for one pair, but I want everything I listen to to be enjoyable.

The song Unreal Square by Squarepusher is a little too harsh for me, at least the synth that plays way at he beginning and throughout. It seems like it's at just the wrong frequency. Don't have enough pairs of cans to say if that isn't just harsh in general though, but it sounds less harsh on my NE-700x's and didn't sound very harsh in my car where I first heard it. Also don't recall it sounding harsh at all on my V6's.

Electronic music is a very wide variety, but I haven't heard them sound bad on any kind that I've played with them. Which includes glitch, psytrance/psybient, dub, dubstep, livetronica, some ambiguous genre breaking stuff, and more. Psybient is one of the best sounding genres on these due to the high detail and great mids IMO, but I might be biased since I like that genre so much.

Haven't listened to a lot of hiphop, but the glitchhop/triphop I've listened to was presented extremely well.

Granted I don't really have any other cans in the same price range, just saying I've been very impressed with every genre I've put at it so far.

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #3,828 of 6,017
sigh..

I did it guys. I pulled the trigger 
redface.gif

Now to wait and see how these headphones are when they get here. I'll compare them to my hd650 (which I know for sure I won't be selling, even if the he-400 is better overall, the comfort and laid back feel of the hd650 is just too enticing). Hopefully my audio journey ends here with these two phones 
smily_headphones1.gif

Now it comes down to...do I be cheap and get the asgard.. or do I save up for the lyr?! 

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #3,830 of 6,017
Quote:
I agree we should talk headphones but it seems we talk about things that do not matter like the color of something is not changing the sound just means a different source

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but right now the discussion is about whether the sound of the product is being changed in secret. That's a problem, because new/potential owners are being recommended the headphone based on what older owners say--assuming (rightfully so) that the headphones haven't been changed. Does $400 not matter to you? I wouldn't want to knowingly give $400 of bad advice.

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #3,831 of 6,017
I wouldn't mind an HE-400 with a more fleshed out upper midrange, closer to what the HD650 has, but I would not want an HE-400 with thinner bass and even more lower/upper treble.  HE-400 is a great headphone because it's not overly bright like nearly everything else on the market.

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #3,833 of 6,017
Received my HE-400's plus extra velours, will try to put them one tomorrow to feel as some claim that "night and day" difference.
biggrin.gif

What can I say after listening for one our. Word airy sound comes to mind. Very nice with acoustic music, not so hotsy with hard rock so far.

Overall didn't fell off the chair blown away by the sound but they indeed are nice cans. Let's see if burning them in and putting velours on can transform them into something else.

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #3,834 of 6,017
Quote:
Received my HE-400's plus extra velours, will try to put them one tomorrow to feel as some claim that "night and day" difference.
biggrin.gif

What can I say after listening for one our. Word airy sound comes to mind. Very nice with acoustic music, not so hotsy with hard rock so far.

Overall didn't fell off the chair blown away by the sound but they indeed are nice cans. Let's see if burning them in and putting velours on can transform them into something else.

From what I gather they have a laid back sound like the  650's so I wonder if this one of their goals, to be not blown away, but pleased. I'll find out in a few days.

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #3,839 of 6,017
Quote:
From what I gather they have a laid back sound like the  650's so I wonder if this one of their goals, to be not blown away, but pleased. I'll find out in a few days.

I have loaned out my beloved he400 r2's to a guy here on headfi to audition. Hopefully he will take good care of them. 
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #3,840 of 6,017
Quote:

This isn't my photo but this is how mine look.

That's even lower resolution than my cellphone's cam function lol.

Anyway looks like the camera I ordered has shipped, so it should be here very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back