New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #3,511 of 6,017
I am thinking of purchasing a pair of HE 400's. However, I am in the middle of deciding whether I should include an amp in my purchase...

Does having an amp make a real difference in sound quality?

I will end up using the HE 400 alongside my macbook pro laptop while I work. Mostly listening to classical, house, mashups, remixes and hiphop. I am mostly on the go. So sometimes I work at Starbucks, office, home, etc.

So far considering the Fiio E17, but some are suggesting Lyr (which model btw?). Your thoughts and experience will be appreciated.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #3,512 of 6,017
The Lyr IS a model of Schiit.

I can attest to the HE400 sounding good off the E17.

And yes, amps make a differences, especially to one like the HE400.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3,513 of 6,017
E17 is the only amp I have and happy using HE-400 with it.... Lyr and Bifrost combo will arrive this week will post my findings

E17 cost 130$ approx, but you need to spend 800$+ for Lyr and Bifrost

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #3,514 of 6,017
Other than volume, the difference between amp and no-amp with these things isn't anywhere close to night and day. It's not all that significant. 

That being said, the extra push in volume is definitely worth getting a small amp. But they still sound excellent without an amp and it is definitely not mandatory... sound quality is not drastically effected by one. Very great headphones either way.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #3,515 of 6,017
Chewy4: So I guess the comment made by Mad Lust Envy about "I can attest to the HE400 sounding good off the E17." is really about volume and nothing else right? No significant "bang" with sound quality.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #3,516 of 6,017
Quote:
Chewy4: So I guess the comment made by Mad Lust Envy about "I can attest to the HE400 sounding good off the E17." is really about volume and nothing else right? No significant "bang" with sound quality.

I'm sure he'll disagree with that, and I can't say he's wrong since I haven't tried the E17, but they still pretty much sound like the same pair of headphones to me when I went from no amp to an STX(aside from the volume). Very likely some increase in sound quality, but nothing mind blowing. Hard to test these things you know.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #3,518 of 6,017
Quote:

I'll second MLE on the quality of the he400 with the e17. The dac in the e17 is actually quite decent. It's also slick to be able to use the hardware EQ of the e17 to dial in the preferred sound signature. Very good pairing and worth $130 all day...

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #3,519 of 6,017
Quote:

I'm sure he'll disagree with that, and I can't say he's wrong since I haven't tried the E17, but they still pretty much sound like the same pair of headphones to me when I went from no amp to an STX(aside from the volume). Very likely some increase in sound quality, but nothing mind blowing. Hard to test these things you know.

Be aware OPAMPs on ST/STX can affect how headphones sound so if you planning to use STX headphones amp it's recommended to upgrade OPAMPs

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #3,520 of 6,017
Quote:
Be aware OPAMPs on ST/STX can affect how headphones sound so if you planning to use STX headphones amp it's recommended to upgrade OPAMPs

Are there any clear upgrades though? Most feedback on different kinds just seems to say there is a difference in sound signature.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #3,521 of 6,017
The HE400 can get piercingly loud of my desktop's soundcard. The E17 blows the soundcard away in SQ. So no, its more than just volume.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #3,523 of 6,017
So great news!

My order just updated, and it's been shipped! Was actually shipped yesterday, and it's shipping from Delaware. USPS tracking is terrible and doesn't list an estimated date. But it does say EXPRESS 1 business day shipping. So maybe, just maybe I'll get it this weekend. 

But I won't get my hopes up. At the very least, I know I'll have it by next week. 

EDIT: USPS has an Express estimated delivery feature where you enter the current zip code and ur zip code, and it gives you an expected. Their site says I should get it Friday. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #3,524 of 6,017
Iv'e only read several random pages from this thread so sorry if its already been mentioned somewhere. So just wondering if somebody has compared an asus st/stx to a E17 directly and could comment on sound quality?

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #3,525 of 6,017
I owned the stx way back and the e17 now. I'd give a slight nod to the e17 on sound quality and for the hardware EQ. The stx is a very good card, so the real compelling reason to upgrade would be for portability. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back