New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #3,451 of 6,017
Quote:
I'm thinking about ordering the Lyr + Bifrost in a week or so, what else am I going to need in the way of cables to connect everything?  I'll either be using my HM-601 or my PC (Xonar DX).  I know Schiit has those PYST cables but at $20 I'm sure I can find a cheaper alternative at Monoprice...  what kind of cables are they exactly?

If your Xonar has SPIDF out and you not planning to get Bifrost with USB you will need either coaxil or Toslink optical cable depending on yput you gonna use. Also PYST cable connect Bifrost to Lyr and are just exact length to connect them without problem and the shorter cable the better and I doubt you will find so short non-aftermarket not custom cables while custom will cost much more than $20

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,452 of 6,017
Quote:
If your Xonar has SPIDF out and you not planning to get Bifrost with USB you will need either coaxil or Toslink optical cable depending on yput you gonna use. Also PYST cable connect Bifrost to Lyr and are just exact length to connect them without problem and the shorter cable the better and I doubt you will find so short non-aftermarket not custom cables while custom will cost much more than $20

I don't really see the point in having exact length cables on something that is going to be sitting on my desk and likely never move...  I can't think of a reason 18" cables wouldn't work just as well, what makes shorter ones so much better?  Does signal degrade that fast?

I'm definitely not going USB, and I have no clue what my Xonar has so I'll have to check that out right now.

EDIT:

Quote:

Analog Output Jack:
44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16/24bit, Dolby Digital, DTS
Analog Input Jack:
3.50mm mini jack *1 (Shared by Line-In/Mic-In)
Other line-level analog input (for CD-IN/TV Tuner):
Supports 44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @16/24bit with very low latency
Digital S/PDIF Output:
High-bandwidth TOS-Link optical transmitter (shared with Line-In/Mic-In jack) supports 192KHz/24bit

So it does have SPDIF.  I don't know anything about cables, is Toslink better than coax?  I tend to think of coax as the bottom of the barrel.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,453 of 6,017
Even I placed order for Lyr + Bifrost and I know they are great pair for HE-400...

other can I have and like is Sennheiser HD598...not sure if I use them with Lyr...scary to drive 50 Ohms HP on 6watts amp....or is it safe to use HD-598 with Lyr?

Please suggest

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #3,454 of 6,017

Quote:

I don't really see the point in having exact length cables on something that is going to be sitting on my desk and likely never move...  I can't think of a reason 18" cables wouldn't work just as well, what makes shorter ones so much better?  Does signal degrade that fast?

I'm definitely not going USB, and I have no clue what my Xonar has so I'll have to check that out right now.

EDIT:

So it does have SPDIF.  I don't know anything about cables, is Toslink better than coax?  I tend to think of coax as the bottom of the barrel.

I don't wamt to open long discussion but it is difficult answer cause some people prefer coaxial some Toslink some say there is no difference. I prefer Toslink and would buy cable instead of one included with Xonar.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #3,456 of 6,017
Quote:
Quote:

scary to drive 50 Ohms HP on 6watts amp....or is it safe to use HD-598 with Lyr?

Please suggest

The HE-400 are only 35 Ohm but yet you seem happy to spend the money for them??

Yes but they are planar and pair well with Lyr, but not sure about 598 so seeking suggestion

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #3,457 of 6,017
I'm.........drowning...........in..........kool........aid..............must.............leave..............this..............place...........
eek.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #3,458 of 6,017
I'm not a cable believer or schiit fanboy but I bought the pyst for its short form factor. If you wonder what is the reason a 18" cables wouldn't work you might want to take a look at my messy table.
Quote:

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #3,459 of 6,017
This thread has gotten HUGE! Still loving mine since the second batch of preorders :D! Glad to see so many people jumping on the wagon and realizing the bargain that these really are :).

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #3,460 of 6,017
x2 - just wanted some clean wiring on my desk.  FWIW - the original cable was a 2 foot silver RCA cable costing 5x more than the PYST and in the end, no difference in SQ.  These are nice cables with a good fit and finish, especally for $20.
Quote:
I'm not a cable believer or schiit fanboy but I bought the pyst for its short form factor. If you wonder what is the reason a 18" cables wouldn't work you might want to take a look at my messy table.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #3,461 of 6,017
Quote:
They are overpriced cables...
wink.gif

Seriously though, the 601 and Xonar DX already have good DACs on board, why do you need the Bifrost? You're needlessly adding more stuff into the chain. And the Lyr, a 6W amp? Really? Get an O2 or Lake People 103 and spend the money you saved on some new albums.

O2 sounds perfectly OK with HE-400.  I still strongly prefer the Lyr with them.  Personal preference.  But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that preference to someone who has similar tastes.

No agruments on anything Lake People though....pro audio gear is pro audio gear....

Quote:

Hence why I want to use Monoprice :D  Are they just RCA cables?

And figures, first the Lyr goes out of stock when I wanted to buy, then it came back in stock, and now the Bifrost is OOS until September 14th.

Yep, just RCA cables.

Wow, they're having stock problems on Lyr & Bifrost again?  I'm surprised!

Quote:

EDIT:

The point of short cables is sot that you have a quick jump between units so you don't have 18" of cable hanging off the desk so you can tangle it, trip over it, or just look like an electrical disaster.  There's no functional difference between a 6" cable and a 15ft cable more or less for performance.  It's just about being tidy.  For a good price, why not?
biggrin.gif

Toslink & Coax are considered the same.  Many will recommend/prefer coax better.  On paper both are identical, but the trouble is many toslink cables are just garbage on the inside and tend to have a lot of reflections inside.  Also transmitters/receivers tend to sometimes be junky.  I usually go coax where I know I'm not hitting a bunch of interferance, but I recently switched to toslink because I added a digital EQ in the loop that takes toslink mainly, and I'm also adding a network player that lacks coax.  With good cables there should be no audible difference.  Bad cables...it's easier to get a good coax cable than a good optical cable, though neither are rare or expensive. 

Quote:
Even I placed order for Lyr + Bifrost and I know they are great pair for HE-400...

other can I have and like is Sennheiser HD598...not sure if I use them with Lyr...scary to drive 50 Ohms HP on 6watts amp....or is it safe to use HD-598 with Lyr?

Please suggest

HD598 is a little sensitive, though...Lyr may be a little much for it.  It's not going to break them or anything but you may find a lack of fine volume control (IE it goes from quiet to loud too quickly to really control volume where you want it) or if it's as sensitive as Denons it may pick up some tube/transformer noise....

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #3,462 of 6,017
I'm looking for a pair of cans that can be a good complement of the HE-400. I mean HPs which has a complete diferent sound signature.
Is the HE500 are what i'm looking for ? or AKG K702, or any suggestion ?

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3,463 of 6,017
Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of cans that can be a good complement of the HE-400. I mean HPs which has a complete diferent sound signature.

I happen to find that HD650 makes an excellent complement to HE-400.  K702 does as well, both are different from HE-400 in opposite directions, so it depends what flavor of different you wanted to go with.  HE500 by most accounts is too similar to be a compliment.

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #3,464 of 6,017
Quote:

Certainly not the he500. They are cut from the same cloth for sure. Different but too similar if you are looking for a very different can that will complement the he400.

I'd say go for a closed can like the d5k or a pair of modded Fostex t50's such as the Maddog's. That would make a good complement. 

gL!!

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #3,465 of 6,017
Quote:
They are overpriced cables...
wink.gif

Seriously though, the 601 and Xonar DX already have good DACs on board, why do you need the Bifrost? You're needlessly adding more stuff into the chain. And the Lyr, a 6W amp? Really? Get an O2 or Lake People 103 and spend the money you saved on some new albums.

O2 sounds perfectly OK with HE-400.  I still strongly prefer the Lyr with them.  Personal preference.  But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that preference to someone who has similar tastes.

No agruments on anything Lake People though....pro audio gear is pro audio gear....

Quote:

Hence why I want to use Monoprice :D  Are they just RCA cables?

And figures, first the Lyr goes out of stock when I wanted to buy, then it came back in stock, and now the Bifrost is OOS until September 14th.

Yep, just RCA cables.

Wow, they're having stock problems on Lyr & Bifrost again?  I'm surprised!

Quote:

EDIT:

The point of short cables is sot that you have a quick jump between units so you don't have 18" of cable hanging off the desk so you can tangle it, trip over it, or just look like an electrical disaster.  There's no functional difference between a 6" cable and a 15ft cable more or less for performance.  It's just about being tidy.  For a good price, why not?
biggrin.gif

Toslink & Coax are considered the same.  Many will recommend/prefer coax better.  On paper both are identical, but the trouble is many toslink cables are just garbage on the inside and tend to have a lot of reflections inside.  Also transmitters/receivers tend to sometimes be junky.  I usually go coax where I know I'm not hitting a bunch of interferance, but I recently switched to toslink because I added a digital EQ in the loop that takes toslink mainly, and I'm also adding a network player that lacks coax.  With good cables there should be no audible difference.  Bad cables...it's easier to get a good coax cable than a good optical cable, though neither are rare or expensive. 

Quote:

Please suggest

HD598 is a little sensitive, though...Lyr may be a little much for it.  It's not going to break them or anything but you may find a lack of fine volume control (IE it goes from quiet to loud too quickly to really control volume where you want it) or if it's as sensitive as Denons it may pick up some tube/transformer noise....

That exactly why I said I would rather pay $30 for 5 feet Audioquest Toslink than use one provided with Xonar card

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back