New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Aug 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #2,732 of 6,017
Quote:

Holy crap!! 
eek.gif
 I've had this sitting on my HD for years. I haven't listed to it in at least 5. Just fired it up with the he400. It sounds very different and a whole lot better now!!

This is one of the few CD's that showed me the evident, but still minute, benefits of flac. Those electronic textures are just something else though. Not a big fan Ben's voice (a lot my friends listened to Death Cab, it kind of got old), but this album was great.

I'll be posting up more findings, as I now have the chance to relax and listen to my 400's all day in the office (while working here and there, hehe)

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #2,733 of 6,017
Quote:
This is one of the few CD's that showed me the evident, but still minute, benefits of flac. Those electronic textures are just something else though. Not a big fan Ben's voice (a lot my friends listened to Death Cab, it kind of got old), but this album was great.

I'll be posting up more findings, as I now have the chance to relax and listen to my 400's all day in the office (while working here and there, hehe)

Ditto at my lab 
beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #2,742 of 6,017
Some somber tunes tonight.

For best sound, set to 720p and full screen.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2,743 of 6,017
So guys. I've been searching around, but I've been getting mixed impressions on whether the Asus Xonar STX can power and make the HE-400 sound good. Any opinions? What options would I have to make them sound amazing? I'm looking for something that's below $200. Much appreciated.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #2,744 of 6,017
I doubt many of you use Winamp, but I do (i love it's simplicity and ease of use). I figured out how to bass boost without distorting...

I'm no expert at this type of this, but since the HE400 was damn near perfect without EQ, I thought I'd just boost the 70hz for my EDM.

I noticed that doing alone (boosted by 4.0db) caused a lot of distortion. I then lowered the PREAMP dial down the same amount that I boosted the 70hz. (-4.0db). This made all the distortion disappear. I did it again by boosting the 70hz dial all the way to max (12db). Again, I lowered the PREAMP by the same amount (12.0db). A thunderous amount of bass, with zero discernible distortion, unlike when I boosted it without lowering the preamp.

I don't see an absolute downside to this, though I'm not sure if doing this causes bit resolution loss, to those who swear they can hear it... also, lowering the pre-amp meant needing quite a bit more out of my amp's volume knob.

More than likely I won't be doing this, but when I feel like being a basshead, I might demo this for fun. :D

I take back what I said about the HE400 not being able to handle a boost in bass. It sure as hell can. I can only imagine how well it does with hardware EQ.

I'm sortat tempted on selling my NFB5, and getting the E17+E09K, just for the bass balance control + preout to the E09K. Yeah, I'm weird like that. :ph34r:

Nah, who am I kidding. I love my setup, without bass boosting.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #2,745 of 6,017
Quote:
So guys. I've been searching around, but I've been getting mixed impressions on whether the Asus Xonar STX can power and make the HE-400 sound good. Any opinions? What options would I have to make them sound amazing? I'm looking for something that's below $200. Much appreciated.

$200?  Watch the F/S section for an NFB-12 or Audio-GD "Fun" to become available.  Then, squeak out $30 to buy the Asus Xonar DX - to gain access to its optical out connection.  Use the optical out and input it into the Audio-GD and you've have a very nice sounding amp / DAC with lots of power.  Or, skip the $30 sound card all together and go for a USB connection from your computer to the Audio-GD.

Or, for strictly staying under $200 an having the capability of buying "now", then consider:

1. A new FiiO E7 / E9 combination for about $180
  2. A used Fiio E17 / E9 combination for slightly under $200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back