New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Aug 4, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #2,746 of 6,017
Quote:
I'm no expert at this type of this, but since the HE400 was damn near perfect without EQ, I thought I'd just boost the 70hz for my EDM.
I noticed that doing alone (boosted by 4.0db) caused a lot of distortion. I then lowered the PREAMP dial down the same amount that I boosted the 70hz. (-4.0db). This made all the distortion disappear. I did it again by boosting the 70hz dial all the way to max (12db). Again, I lowered the PREAMP by the same amount (12.0db). A thunderous amount of bass, with zero discernible distortion, unlike when I boosted it without lowering the preamp.

There's a good reason why you had to lower your preamp level.

If the original signal had peaks at, or close to maximum (0dB) then applying boost to any frequencies runs the risk of pushing the signal above 0dB which will cause clipping distortion at that frequency.  This is a common side efect of most filtering/EQ where boost is involved.

So, if you are going to apply, say, 12 dB of boost you will only be safe from clipping if you first attenuate (reduce the level) the input by 12dB. You have to allow the extra headroom to avoid distortion and hopefully it won't be enough to reduce your resolution too much.  However, this is a tradeoff where you must balance the pros and cons to maximise the end result.

This has been a simplified explanation to get the message across. For more detailed information you can look up audio engineering websites for more advice.

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #2,747 of 6,017
I kind of guessed that just by process of elimination.

By lowering the pre-amp by the same decibel levels as the bass boost, it means that my bass was kept at the normal level (when it was un-eq'd), while the rest of the spectrum was lowered. When I raised the volume to my desired level, the bass was louder, not BOOSTED per se. I think I can grasp the concept of equalizing, by keeping what you want boosted at the same level, and lowering everything else, then just raising the volume.

edit: THAT'S IT! THAT'S why my Sansa Fuze lowers it's volume as soon as I go to the custom EQ preset and I nudge any frequency off it's flat curve. I always found that odd, but now I totally get it, which is why when I boosted anything past it's flat curve, it didn't distort. The Fuze was lowering the 'preamp' FOR me. Genius! :D

I'm SO slow. XD

I always found it odd that I had to boost the upper ranges to like +10 for my desired treble level, but never sounded bad when I did it.

edit: Ironically, I turned off the EQ and went back to listening to the HE400s innate sound, and it was putting off some awesome level bass... you'd think that having gotten used to the bass boost for an hour or so would've made me feel bass was going to be lacking until my ears got accustomed to the change. Apparently not.

HE400 = <3

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #2,748 of 6,017
Quote:
I'm sortat tempted on selling my NFB5, and getting the E17+E09K, just for the bass balance control + preout to the E09K. Yeah, I'm weird like that.
ph34r.gif

Nah, who am I kidding. I love my setup, without bass boosting.

If you have any serious thoughts about the e17/e09 combo let me know. I just added the e09 yesterday and can share my thoughts in a day or so after I've listened for a bit.

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #2,749 of 6,017
Quote:
I doubt many of you use Winamp, but I do (i love it's simplicity and ease of use). I figured out how to bass boost without distorting...

I'm no expert at this type of this, but since the HE400 was damn near perfect without EQ, I thought I'd just boost the 70hz for my EDM.
I noticed that doing alone (boosted by 4.0db) caused a lot of distortion. I then lowered the PREAMP dial down the same amount that I boosted the 70hz. (-4.0db). This made all the distortion disappear. I did it again by boosting the 70hz dial all the way to max (12db). Again, I lowered the PREAMP by the same amount (12.0db). A thunderous amount of bass, with zero discernible distortion, unlike when I boosted it without lowering the preamp.
I don't see an absolute downside to this, though I'm not sure if doing this causes bit resolution loss, to those who swear they can hear it... also, lowering the pre-amp meant needing quite a bit more out of my amp's volume knob.
More than likely I won't be doing this, but when I feel like being a basshead, I might demo this for fun.
biggrin.gif

I take back what I said about the HE400 not being able to handle a boost in bass. It sure as hell can. I can only imagine how well it does with hardware EQ.
I'm sortat tempted on selling my NFB5, and getting the E17+E09K, just for the bass balance control + preout to the E09K. Yeah, I'm weird like that.
ph34r.gif

Nah, who am I kidding. I love my setup, without bass boosting.

You never knew that?  
tongue.gif

Yeah, I've been experimenting with the regular graphical EQ on music players, and if you EQ them right as you said, you'll avoid clipping, but to my ears I still hear a loss in accuracy and perhaps some intermodulation distortion perhaps causing a slight loss in resolution, thus I try to stay away from those EQs. I also found that there's two ways to approach it.  The first way is as you mentioned, which needs less overhead from the amp.  The second way is just leaving the preamp alone, and only lower the different frequency bars.  I found the second way to maybe have slightly less effect on resolution, but also adjusts the sound more, and needs waaaaay more overhead from the amp.  Giving a +12db boost at 32hz is almost the same as only giving a -6db reduction to all frequencies except for 32hz the second way.  A little weird. 

So over time I've all but stopped using the first method and just relied on the second method on a rare occasion, this is what I came up with the HE-400 when a song needed a little more beef:

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #2,751 of 6,017
Quote:
So guys. I've been searching around, but I've been getting mixed impressions on whether the Asus Xonar STX can power and make the HE-400 sound good. Any opinions? What options would I have to make them sound amazing? I'm looking for something that's below $200. Much appreciated.

I have STX with LME49860 opamps and can tell that while it has enough power to drive HE-400 but for me their highs were not as good as HD650/D7000 and while newer, people say better opamps costing $60, available it's unknown if any of them will fix that and what other changes will happen so if you willing to spend money better look for gear people recommend

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #2,752 of 6,017
Quote:
So guys. I've been searching around, but I've been getting mixed impressions on whether the Asus Xonar STX can power and make the HE-400 sound good. Any opinions? What options would I have to make them sound amazing? I'm looking for something that's below $200. Much appreciated.

The Fiio E17's ($140) really drive the HE-400s well IMO (and in MattTCG's opinion too).

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2,754 of 6,017

They don't sound just good they sound GREAT !! :D

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2,756 of 6,017

I am doing AB....with velour (purchased) and without velour (borrowed)....velour makes vocals more smooth....peaks in upper midrange or treble is more refined...suggest songs for AB please.....second one I may have to return back tomorrow

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #2,757 of 6,017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow that  is pretty loud...I do not cross 23 with 12dB gain

It's loud to me as well, I'm just listening loud right now to see how well it performs with a higher than usual load.

The bass boost is nice, I think +4 bass is a bit too much, +2 might be for me.

Btw, why are you on 12dB gain if you only turn it up to 23?

I took Matt suggestion on that...experimenting the SQ change (if any) with 12dB and 6dB....I normally do 25 on 6dB

12dB gain wins...it makes me enjoy HE400 more b/c of the more full and engaging/alive sound it gives...HE400 sounds more deep with 12db...As long as there is no distortion or audible added noise, then I think that's optimal...not aware of technicalities...

Thanks Matt

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #2,759 of 6,017
Quote:

You never knew that?  
tongue.gif

Yeah, I've been experimenting with the regular graphical EQ on music players, and if you EQ them right as you said, you'll avoid clipping, but to my ears I still hear a loss in accuracy and perhaps some intermodulation distortion perhaps causing a slight loss in resolution, thus I try to stay away from those EQs. I also found that there's two ways to approach it.  The first way is as you mentioned, which needs less overhead from the amp.  The second way is just leaving the preamp alone, and only lower the different frequency bars.  I found the second way to maybe have slightly less effect on resolution, but also adjusts the sound more, and needs waaaaay more overhead from the amp.  Giving a +12db boost at 32hz is almost the same as only giving a -6db reduction to all frequencies except for 32hz the second way.  A little weird. 

So over time I've all but stopped using the first method and just relied on the second method on a rare occasion, this is what I came up with the HE-400 when a song needed a little more beef:

Good tip. This is how it is always best to EQ I find when writing electronic music - subtractive. Most professional producers will tell you the same
Additive EQ always has the change of introducing distortion or overbloating certain frequencies

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #2,760 of 6,017
Quote:

12dB gain wins...it makes me enjoy HE400 more b/c of the more full and engaging/alive sound it gives...HE400 sounds more deep with 12db...As long as there is no distortion or audible added noise, then I think that's optimal...not aware of technicalities...

Thanks Matt

Sure it's not just placebo? The gain just increases amplification so theoretically wouldn't the least gain be the more refined?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back