New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
May 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,561 of 6,017
Quote:
Their sound signature is far from bassy, rather the bass is there in just the right quantities and only when called upon.

I'd say they are pretty neutral sounding with only a slight emphasis in the bass and mids.

Plus one on that. It's just that they are somewhat bassy for planars unless you count lcd-2.

May 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #1,562 of 6,017
Quote:
The bass got some improvement with burn in for me. What are you using for an amp/dac?

I'm running it with an Echo Indigo external sound card. Just two hours in now and I feel like the bass is a little better, but it could (and most likely is) be placebo.

Their sound signature is far from bassy, rather the bass is there in just the right quantities and only when called upon.

I'd say they are pretty neutral sounding with only a slight emphasis in the bass and mids.

I'd pretty much agree with you there. I got this thinking it'd be a bassy improvement to my HD-598, and while it is, it's also been a great improvement in the mids too. So overall it's just been a holistic upgrade for me, which I won't complain about!

May 3, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,564 of 6,017
If you feel that the HE-400s are not producing enough bass, then you don't have enough Dr. Dre and the Black Eyed Peas in your music collection.  
eek.gif

May 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,566 of 6,017
The word that comes to mind regarding the HE-400's bass is "ripe".  I would not describe them as being overly flabby, but they are quite rounded out.  

May 3, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #1,567 of 6,017
There's plenty of meat in the bass. The mid-bass is a bit more prominent than the sub-bass (e.g. incredible for music like deadmau5, good for music like clubroot) but that's probably because it's difficult to be a Denon while being an open can. 

May 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,568 of 6,017
I agree with all of the above. Good descriptions of the he400 bass. I love the bass on this thing. Very versatile and doesn't over-do or over color the sound. But still hits hard with the right material. 

May 3, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,569 of 6,017
Quote:
There's plenty of meat in the bass. The mid-bass is a bit more prominent than the sub-bass (e.g. incredible for music like deadmau5, good for music like clubroot) but that's probably because it's difficult to be a Denon while being an open can. 

If the HE-400s had a bit more sub-bass impact they would have been my perfect headphones.

Pretty difficult to achieve though on an open design without sacrificing sound-stage.

May 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #1,570 of 6,017
Quote:
If you feel that the HE-400s are not producing enough bass, then you don't have enough Dr. Dre and the Black Eyed Peas in your music collection.  
eek.gif

Just threw on Drake, "Tare Care." I get the occasional urge to have some hard hittin' rap and just crank it. Now, I would never use planars for this and would naturally grab up the denon's. But I figured give it a shot. They he400 hit really nicely on sub bass. Is it as good as the denon...no. It is nice extension with good impact, you betcha. It was a fun listen.

May 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,571 of 6,017
Quote:

Just threw on Drake, "Tare Care." I get the occasional urge to have some hard hittin' rap and just crank it. Now, I would never use planars for this and would naturally grab up the denon's. But I figured give it a shot. They he400 hit really nicely on sub bass. Is it as good as the denon...no. It is nice extension with good impact, you betcha. It was a fun listen.

Yeah I love my Atrio MG7s for that smooth, eardrum massaging sub-bass.

Really tempted to grab some D5000s for a bedside setup.

May 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,572 of 6,017
Quote:

If the HE-400s had a bit more sub-bass impact they would have been my perfect headphones.

Pretty difficult to achieve though on an open design without sacrificing sound-stage.

Well Audeze's LCD2/3, which are all very open, does sub-bass ( <30 Hz) leagues better than almost any other headphone, somehow. It's ruler flat down to 10 Hz.

May 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #1,574 of 6,017
If what Malveau says is true about the HE-400's bass being of the same energy all the way down to 30hz before it rolls off, then its true extension is as good as the Denons.  It only goes down to 40hz for me before it starts to roll off, but I'm thinking it may be my OTL tube amp not providing enough oomph for it.  LCDs would probably stay ruler flat below 10hz if the charts went lower!  Maybe its diaphragm is allowed to have a longer throw than the Hifimans.

May 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #1,575 of 6,017
Quote:

Yeah well aware of the LCDs but they're a bit out of my price range for the time being :p

Heh.

Don't know how they achieve it man...someone should reverse-engineer em and find out how they are open yet have #1 bass in headphone world by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back