New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Apr 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #1,186 of 6,017
Quote:
Did u go stock cable...waiting on my tax return next week to order...hopefully discount is still available
Im still looking for good amp...wonder how arrow sounds with them

I had a HeadStage Arrow 3G, and liked the features, but soundwise it was not impressing.

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #1,189 of 6,017
My impressions...

Got my HE-400 in the 2nd batch about 3 weeks ago. I connected them straight to my Audigy 2. I must say I was very disappointed in the first week especially with the vocals, they seemed to vary up and down in volume. I wasn't sure if I should  keep them or not, although they were improving with more use. I never had any headphones that cost more than $50 before, so wasn't sure how to judge these.

I decided to go and audition some more expensive models. Had a listen to the HD650, HD800 and LCD2 connected to a Burson HA-160D. There was only about 10% difference between the sound of all of these but I liked the LCD2 best. They weren't that much better than the HE-400 though, not worth 3 or 4 times the price that's for sure. I found an old Pioneer vintage amp that is about 20 years old and tried that. The difference was night and day, not so much in the quality of the sound but there was no variation in the vocals and they sounded more smooth and balanced. They had good volume running from the Audigy 2 but the volume was on max, these need a good amp I think.

The bass on the HE-400 is kickass, even better than my short listen of the LCD2 I would say. They are great for movies too.
Running with this setup for the past 2 weeks, I find them really satisfying and enjoyable now.
I think I would be hard pressed to find much better for $350 (or $399 now), so I will be keeping them!!!

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #1,190 of 6,017
wow good stuff mixx! thanks for the impressions.

i have well over 100+ hrs burn-in on it now and can honestly say that there's something in the realism factor of these headphones that are disturbingly nice. Like on various well-recorded jazz albums, there are times were I get chills down the spine from the sudden trumpet burst from the side or the sudden cymbal crash, sax blast, etc. Of course, it always helps to have the lights off and sunglasses on :D. There was still something I didn't like in terms of female vocals that I think the he-500 will b perfect for but after playing w/ the EQ a lil bit, now it's absolutely stunning. I gotta say contrary to my initial expectations i'll be keeping the 400 and saving the $ from not upgrading to he-500 instead for a better amp...like idk maybe the new schiit mjolnir.

Quote:
My impressions...

Got my HE-400 in the 2nd batch about 3 weeks ago. I connected them straight to my Audigy 2. I must say I was very disappointed in the first week especially with the vocals, they seemed to vary up and down in volume. I wasn't sure if I should  keep them or not, although they were improving with more use. I never had any headphones that cost more than $50 before, so wasn't sure how to judge these.

I decided to go and audition some more expensive models. Had a listen to the HD650, HD800 and LCD2 connected to a Burson HA-160D. There was only about 10% difference between the sound of all of these but I liked the LCD2 best. They weren't that much better than the HE-400 though, not worth 3 or 4 times the price that's for sure. I found an old Pioneer vintage amp that is about 20 years old and tried that. The difference was night and day, not so much in the quality of the sound but there was no variation in the vocals and they sounded more smooth and balanced. They had good volume running from the Audigy 2 but the volume was on max, these need a good amp I think.

The bass on the HE-400 is kickass, even better than my short listen of the LCD2 I would say. They are great for movies too.
Running with this setup for the past 2 weeks, I find them really satisfying and enjoyable now.
I think I would be hard pressed to find much better for $350 (or $399 now), so I will be keeping them!!!

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #1,191 of 6,017
The audigy 2 is not the card to run these hp's from. You could get a fiio e10 and be done. I'm currently experimenting with different setups and will post back later.

Quote:
My impressions...

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #1,192 of 6,017
One thing I really enjoy about these is how little they care about seal / placement. Honestly the bass is so conductive that I could feel it even before I put them on, and it doesn't matter if I shift them up/down/forward/backward with regards to my ears, the sound signature stays the same.

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #1,193 of 6,017

Quote:
Im looking at one of the rsa amps, meier 3move, alo mkII, or ibasso pb2 or p4 and deciding on going balanced or not

If you get a chance, read the 6 Moons review of the HE-5LE and the EF-5 combination using the balanced connectors.  Their review covers both the use of the TRS connection and then the balanced connection.  Their impression of the balanced connection was quite positive.

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,194 of 6,017

Quote:
The audigy 2 is not the card to run these hp's from. You could get a fiio e10 and be done. I'm currently experimenting with different setups and will post back later.

I had planned on using them with the headphone out on the B&W MM-1 speakers that I had bought at the time I ordered the HE-400 back in January.
They connect to USB, have a built in DAC and headphone amplifier. I tried them with my HD201 and they worked a lot better than the Audigy 2.
Much louder volume and very clear sound. However, I had issues getting them to work properly with the USB on my PC so I returned them for a refund.
They were a great speaker actually, very sweet sound.

I will give them till xmas to fix the firmware or maybe they will have a new model soon. Till then I will stick with this setup, its sounding nice now.
smile.gif

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,196 of 6,017

Quote:
I've posted a short review on the he-400 if anyone is interested :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-review

Very nice write-up! Succinct and to the point. Always great to include relative comparisons to other mid-fi cans to put things into perspective. I agree with pretty much all the points you've discussed with these cans, except I guess in terms of personal preference I think the bass quantity on these are perfect as a "fun but accurate" signature, and any more bass and IMO it is detrimental to musical enjoyment (my M50's have too much bass quantity for me). That is all just subjective though.

Again, good work. This is one of the more complete reviews on these in quite a while.

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,197 of 6,017
Anyone run these with a rsa hornet,  I couldnt pass it up for 225 shipped.  Ive read they power all the sennheisers fairly easily  so that bodes well, but havent heard direct use with hornet and he-400

Apr 8, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #1,198 of 6,017
After a few weeks use I can say that the sound quality is just what I am after, strong but realistic bass, stunningly accurate mids and nice sweet highs without the exaggeration that can lead to sibilance. I do think the headband needs more padding. I guess slapheads will find it downright uncomfortable! So suggestions for a replacement headband would be appreciated. The velour earpads are slightly better than the pleather ones IMO, after a while they seems to become a bit softer and are now very comfortable.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #1,199 of 6,017
55ca1586-7702-1304.jpg

Foam headband inlay from HD650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back