New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Jan 23, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #526 of 6,017
Second first impressions from Headfonia crew:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/headfoniacom/ls-hifiman-he-400-impressions/322906171087420

This first impression will be slightly different from Mike's

The HE-400, as you all know by now, are delivered in a cardwood box with a plastic "container" and to me it was in some way "wrong" to see a planar technology headphone being delivered that way. It reminded me of the box of the M50 which is more or less identical. It's too bad not to get a fancy box but at $399, some savings had to be made and to me it was a bit disappointing as I've gotten used to the nice boxes from Sennheiser, Audeze and even Beyerdynamic. The stock canare cable (I love canare) is over 2 meters and is only fitted with a full size 1/4 plug... weren't these cans supposed to be driven by a phone or DAP?

When listening to this headphone you easily get the "fun" feeling. It's just nice to listen to when listening to the right music (see later). The sound is clear as you would expect from an orthodynamic headphone and what springs out most is the bass. As Fang announced before its release, this is definately tuned for the american market as in "popular Hitlist music", so this definately will be a headphone many will like, yet I have my own opinion about it. First of all its sounds very closed for an orthodynamic, especially when comparing to the LCD-2 and the HE-500. At the same time it gives you a nice level of detail from bass to highs but it is nowhere near what I am used to with the other orthodynamics. It's lacking the soundstage, layering and the detail retrieval. I'd place it more in the mid-market, where it of course belongs. The bass punch in the He-400 (I've only used it amped so far) is excellent, best of all the orthos I have heard so far!

When using this headphone, I get a more "headphone sound" kind of feeling. The music isn't around me it is inside my head and with the smaller soundstage (than the higher end orthos) I don't feel like I am there. Everything is clear, but there is no super detail, it's like it is trying to be the he-500's young brother but it's more like a far cousin. But a good cousin, one you could use each day for casual listening.

Amping the He-400 with the Violectric made it too bright/forward sounding for my taste. On tubes it is a lot smoother, lush sounding and laid back, but no way near the HD650 laid back. Tubes for me is the way to go with these headphones. I was absolutely surprised about the changing character of the HE-400 when using a different amplifier.

The HE-400 is absolutely awesome with electronic/dance music where (imo) detail retrieval, vocals and instrumental separation is less important. The bass really kicks in and highs are nicely clear (not too clear, no sibilence, but no detail either as with it's big brother) I can't say I like the way it portrays jazz and vocals and I have mixed feeling about rock music with these, but maybe I am just too spoiled by the HE-500 and the LCD-2...

So here's my idea so far: The HE-500 (and LCD-2) is still King. The HE-400 doesn't come anywhere near their level but of course it wasn't intented to do so. Lots of people are asking if it replaces the HD650 and in my opinion it doesn't at all. While you get the ortho sound with the He-400, the HD650 to my ears still stands out. They're also very different sounding and if I had to choose one for all styles, I would not hesitate choosing the Sennheiser HD650...

Most weird thing about the He-400 is that is doesn't sound relaxed to me, not like the Senns, or the other ortho's do. I couldn't listen for longer as an hour before needing a rest with these. They're just not as refined.

Looks like my ideal (Hifiman) headphone is the HE-500 with the He-400 bass punch (not detail or depth, and maybe some of the LCD-2 mids as well). Everything else in the HE-500 is just awesome to me. The He-400 is a nice mid-fi headphone giving you a taste of what top ortho sound can be like, but it is in no way an LCD-2/HE-500 replacement like some people are saying. I've made out my mind, the He-400 is no top audiophile headphone, it is a top headphone for the big market, for me it is my fav headphone for electronic music, the best I've had for that matter.

Build quality: Mike doesn't agree with me on this but I find the HE-400 under the HE-500 level. The cups and the connectors of the cups just don't feel as solid to me, more plastic like but the fit is the same, it's just lighter. The HE-400 comes standard with the pleather pads. I prefer velour but according to Mike they don't do the He-400 justice, and I trust his ears.

Maybe after some more listening and burn in the sound and my impressions will change, but for now this is how it is...

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #527 of 6,017
What troubles me about that writing so much is he keeps mentioning about how the HE-400 'isn't meant to be' on the HE-500's level.  It makes it seem like he's writing a couple things off from confirmation bias rather than actual unbiased impression, but that's just me personally.  Hopefully some experienced members here on head-fi are able to post some comparisons soon as well.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #528 of 6,017
Don't forget that both posts there are just impressions, it's not a full review, just their first ideas.
I actually liked reading them, unlike here where some call them bright, others darker then the HD650 and other LCD-2 killers, this was quite a nice and clear read.
I guess we won't know untill much more "reviews" are posted so we can make a general "how do they sound" statement after mixing all the different opinions :)

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #529 of 6,017
I think you're exaggerating a little bit Ultra.

Only one person in this thread has described them as bright. Based on the comments posted here, I think the consensus is that they are a dark-sounding headphone. And as far as I can recall, nobody here has said they are darker than the HD650 or better than the LCD-2.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #530 of 6,017

Quote:
I think you're exaggerating a little bit Ultra.

Only one person in this thread has described them as bright. Based on the comments posted here, I think the consensus is that they are a dark-sounding headphone. And as far as I can recall, nobody here has said they are darker than the HD650 or better than the LCD-2.

Not only talking about Headfi ofcourse, just in general :)

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #532 of 6,017
With all the reviews floating around about being dark/headphone soundstage and all... my bottomline with these headphones are...

if this is your 'First' $349 headphone... you will be blown away.

I played a music and watched a movie on the motorola milestone.. and I could still hear 'some' bass and such clear detail from the HE400. volume at 95% though. Again... if this is your first headphone in the $349 zone.. .
Quote:
Personally I had no problems with regards to comfort, they all fit me perfectly (400/500/6). Idk if this may come as bad news to you but if the 400's didn't feel right, I doubt the 500's will be much better as they both more or less felt the same in terms of ergonomics, the 400 being a teeny bit lighter. I tried the 400 directly from my droid unamped and it sounded like $10 headphones from walmart @ max vol. lol jk maybe $40

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #534 of 6,017
To be fair to this can, it should be compared to the other competition in the 300 - 400 range. At that range it is a very competent can if you like the signature. To compare it to cans 300 -700 dollars more isnt fair. The only comparisons with more expensive cans should only be to try to describe the signature in reference to other known signatures. Otherwise, comparing it to other cans in its price range will probably be more informative because the people who are buying this can probably own  its direct competition or less and will be able to understand its attributes better.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #535 of 6,017
It irks me as well when people say something like "Tubes for me are the way to go for these headphones"  I think that's making a bad recommendation and the assumption that all tubes and tube amplifiers are going to have the same sonic qualities.  I'd rather him just say outright the specific amp.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #536 of 6,017
Well, it's been fun, but I've decided to send mine back to China. They are too dark and lush for my taste.

Best of luck to all of you who are having problems. I have nothing but good things to say about HiFiMan's customer service. Every time I've dealt with them (shipping issues), they have been extremely responsive and communicative. I'm sure the QC issue(s) will get worked out.

Based on what I've read, I think the HE-500's are going to be a better match for me. I hope to try them out soon.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #537 of 6,017

Quote:
Well, it's been fun, but I've decided to send mine back to China. They are too dark and lush for my taste.

Best of luck to all of you who are having problems. I have nothing but good things to say about HiFiMan's customer service. Every time I've dealt with them (shipping issues), they have been extremely responsive and communicative. I'm sure the QC issue(s) will get worked out.

Based on what I've read, I think the HE-500's are going to be a better match for me. I hope to try them out soon.

Hey palmfish, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the he500's, they are quite superior to the he400's in my own opinion. And they're not anywhere as dark on top of that. Careful if you try them though; you may end up wanting to buy a pair afterwards :x

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 24, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #538 of 6,017

Quote:
Hey palmfish, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the he500's, they are quite superior to the he400's in my own opinion. And they're not anywhere as dark on top of that. Careful if you try them though; you may end up wanting to buy a pair afterwards :x

agreed

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #539 of 6,017
Damn, my left channel cut out again today (I thought initially it might have been that my 6.5-3.5mm adapter was mono, so purchased another which worked on both channels right out of the box 'confirming' my initial thoughts). Will send them back, now the quandary is what headphone to get... Consider just spending the extra to go the HE-500's, but will take a look around here and see what else is out there... Rather disappointing first foray into the world of higher quality headphones I must say.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #540 of 6,017
Quote:
With all the reviews floating around about being dark/headphone soundstage and all... my bottomline with these headphones are...

if this is your 'First' $349 headphone... you will be blown away.

I played a music and watched a movie on the motorola milestone.. and I could still hear 'some' bass and such clear detail from the HE400. volume at 95% though. Again... if this is your first headphone in the $349 zone.. .

Agree. F.i. the K-701 has a wider soundstage, but apart form that the HE-400 is clearly superior in terms of transparency, resolution and bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back