New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Dec 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #136 of 6,017
i am not an expert on headphone, but i imagine it's not going to be quite easy if even possible for a closed Orthodynamic design due to the way how the diaphragm moves. That's why there is no closed electrostatic headphone either. Just try to use your hands to cover the headphone, and you will how bad it sounds.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #138 of 6,017
i am not an expert on headphone, but i imagine it's not going to be quite easy if even possible for a closed Orthodynamic design due to the way how the diaphragm moves. That's why there is no closed electrostatic headphone either. Just try to use your hands to cover the headphone, and you will how bad it sounds.

Yup, I tried the hands over cups, and it's a massive / dramatic closing in and bass removal.

Yet, there are decent closed orthodynamics -- T50RP / Thunderpants / KODA^1. It would take a total redesign of the driver and the enclosure by HiFiMAN. Like I said, I can dream.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #140 of 6,017

Quote:

Wow that is an awesome setup. Are you driving the HE-400 with the EF6? How do the HE series sound on the EF-6?

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #141 of 6,017
Hmm the T50RP is about $125. But the thunderpants is about $475 if I'm not wrong. At that point, I think the HE-400 might have the upper hand for those looking <400$ budget. I hope the He-400 does not disappoint.

Quote:
Thunderpants are closed orthodynamics and sound great.

hey blankdisc, can we get a close up picture of how the termination sockets(of the supplied cable) to the headphone and all that ? looking for aftermarket cables.. to see if it's cheap/feasible to make..

thanks in advance!

Quote:

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #142 of 6,017
Here's a review of HE-400 (compared to HE-500 and 300) on a Chinese audiophile forum:

http://erji.net/read.php?tid=1167095&page=1&fpage=1

The gist seems to be that:

HE-400 has fairly open mids, but they lack a little warmness.
treble is a little sparkly, good for energetic music like rock, but those who like very flat treble probably won't like it.
Dynamics are a little less than the HE-300.
Bass is nice and strong, however lacks a little tightness and impact (compared to HE-6 fully amped).

HE-500, in comparison, has perfect mids.
Both treble and bass are very "polite" and tame in comparison to HE-400, which could be a pro or a con.

His conclusion is that going from HE-300 to HE-400 is a complete shift in sound, while going from HE-400 to HE-500 is a maturation of sound; and that HE-400's sound signature is more aimed towards Western (our) audiophile tastes.

EDIT: wait that's written by OP in this thread haha (just noticed).

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #144 of 6,017
i could just translate that for you easily since i wrote that piece. LOL...

one thing i would like to correct if i may. The dynamics of HE-400 is better than HE-300, not the other way around.

Quote:
Here's a review of HE-400 (compared to HE-500 and 300) on a Chinese audiophile forum:

http://erji.net/read.php?tid=1167095&page=1&fpage=1

The gist seems to be that:

HE-400 has fairly open mids, but they lack a little warmness.
treble is a little sparkly, good for energetic music like rock, but those who like very flat treble probably won't like it.
Dynamics are a little less than the HE-300.
Bass is nice and strong, however lacks a little tightness and impact (compared to HE-6 fully amped).

HE-500, in comparison, has perfect mids.
Both treble and bass are very "polite" and tame in comparison to HE-400, which could be a pro or a con.

His conclusion is that going from HE-300 to HE-400 is a complete shift in sound, while going from HE-400 to HE-500 is a maturation of sound; and that HE-400's sound signature is more aimed towards Western (our) audiophile tastes.

EDIT: wait that's written by OP in this thread haha (just noticed).

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #145 of 6,017

There was the now discontinued SR4070 from Stax which was a closed electrostatic

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #146 of 6,017
blankdisc, may i know what's your relation to hifiman or fang?? i'm not accusing you of anything, but it's just weird that the moment the he-400 was announced, suddenly a person came out of nowhere spreading good news abt the phones..

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #147 of 6,017
He's already told us. He called Fang and asked for a loaner. Guess Fang decided a review would help build hype so he let him borrow them. I wouldn't say that he's biased at all if that's what you're implying.

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #148 of 6,017

Quote:
oh, you guys are right. i always forgot about T50RP. don't know why. :p

would be interesting to compare T50RP/Thundpants against HE-400. Only if someone can lend me one. LOL...

Where in NYC are you? I have a modified T50RP I haven't used too much of lately

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #149 of 6,017
i am a good friend of Fang, and called him at the right time. :) 
A good headphone is a good headphone. Maybe I AM biased because i simply like all Hifiman's products. ^_^ To be clear, i am also biased towards all Schiit Audio's products as well. I think that LYR and BIFROST are awesome. I am also biased towards Stax only if i could afford a 009. ^_^
I don't think that anyone here ordered a HE-400 just simply because i said it is good. If you are, CANCEL your order now. ^_^

Quote:
blankdisc, may i know what's your relation to hifiman or fang?? i'm not accusing you of anything, but it's just weird that the moment the he-400 was announced, suddenly a person came out of nowhere spreading good news abt the phones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back