New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #5,101 of 6,017
I never heard the 5LE, but the Hifiman does say it does very similar to it... for $250 less.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #5,103 of 6,017
Quote:
My HE-4's came in. Man, what a difference 90g makes for weight. The HE-4 is considerably lighter than the HE-400.
Came in the sexy Hifiman box. Old style braided cables with long 6.3mm plug. The velours! Wow... these are NOTICEABLY more comfy than the new velours.
Wow... sound...
They sound SO much like the HE-400. Literally like a slightly airier (as it's less dark) than the HE-400. The treble is similar and may be a smidge less sharp. Man... I wish I still had the HE-400.
Anyone tell me WHY these got passed by by Head-fi? What a huge mistake that was. I blame the HE-500 hype (not that it's unwarranted, but it completely made the HE-4 non-existent). I feel sorry for Hifiman, in that these gems got overlooked.
Seriously... if you want an airier HE-400, with HE-6 looks, more comfy velours, possibly less zing in the treble.... there's a reason why these still cost more than the HE-400. The only thing I'd need to confirm is the mids.
You just can't drive these off weaker amps.
And from the looks of the spare velour pad (just one), it does have the old plastic teeth mechanism... *shiver*

I agree about the HE-4. I was disappointed when they discontinued it since I really liked them. I'm not sure which came first but the drop in the HE500 if it came before the discontinue would have had something to do with it probably. Although I didn't think the HE4 was hard to drive when I had them. I'm not sure which amps I had at that time but probably the PPAv2 or CTH. Also it definitely feels like one of the lightest headphones

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #5,104 of 6,017
Quote:
I decided to buy the He-400s! Does anyone know of a special price running anywhere on the web?

Email Drew at Moon Audio and ask nicely if he would sale these to you at the discounted price. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
My HE-4's came in. Man, what a difference 90g makes for weight. The HE-4 is considerably lighter than the HE-400.
Came in the sexy Hifiman box. Old style braided cables with long 6.3mm plug. The velours! Wow... these are NOTICEABLY more comfy than the new velours.
Wow... sound...
They sound SO much like the HE-400. Literally like a slightly airier (as it's less dark) than the HE-400. The treble is similar and may be a smidge less sharp. Man... I wish I still had the HE-400.
Anyone tell me WHY these got passed by by Head-fi? What a huge mistake that was. I blame the HE-500 hype (not that it's unwarranted, but it completely made the HE-4 non-existent). I feel sorry for Hifiman, in that these gems got overlooked.
Seriously... if you want an airier HE-400, with HE-6 looks, more comfy velours, possibly less zing in the treble.... there's a reason why these still cost more than the HE-400. The only thing I'd need to confirm is the mids.
You just can't drive these off weaker amps.
And from the looks of the spare velour pad (just one), it does have the old plastic teeth mechanism... *shiver*

Very interesting comments here MLE!! And yes, nearly a hundred grams will be a noticeable difference. For some reason I always thought that the he400 was the lightest of the HFM pack. Keep us updated. If you were interested in doing a side by side comparison with the he400, I'd help you out as long as you send both pair back. 
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #5,105 of 6,017
Just got my he400. Woohoo.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #5,106 of 6,017
^^ Congrats and welcome to the club. It's one of the best buys out there right now. Hard to beat this kind of ortho that works well for so many different types of music. Enjoy!!

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #5,107 of 6,017
I always considered it a cross between a DT880 and DT990. This has not changed. The HE-4 is fresh out of the box, so give me time to adjust, and or let the HE-4 settle in. I'm able to directly compare it to the DT990/600. Both off my SA-31. The HE-4 needs a couple notches more off the SA-31's volume than the DT990.

Directly comparing (mostly the tonal balance):

Bass: The HE-4 has a tighter bass, less present bass. The DT990's bass does vibrate my ears a bit more, but they do have good bass to them. They aren't lacking. From memory, the HE-4 does have more bass than the DT880. I'd say it's like the HE-400's bass but just a little less so. The slightly colder tone of the HE-4 (compared to the HE400) makes it seem less bassy as well.

Mids: The HE-4's comes off more naturally, and are more integrated. You definitely trade mids/bass between the two. The HE-4's mids are not forward. They remind me of the HE-400's in that they are cohesive to the overall sound, even if they are not forward.

Treble: They are both bright so far. The HE-4 is definitely less sizzling than the 990s. I've seriously stated that I felt the HE-400 to get peaky at times, where the HE-4 doesn't, though the HE-4 is definitely sparkly, not smooth in the treble.

The HE-4 is definitely more balanced and natural than the 990. I feel the HE-400 is even more natural sounding though.

That being said, I'm a sucker for the 990's presentation... lol.

If I had to base something off the limited impressions... I wouldn't replace the HE-400 for the HE-4. They are similar, and the HE-4 has a more lively presentation (which I prefer). HOWEVER, the HE-400 is warmer, fuller bodied (slightly), and intimate sounding. I was hoping the HE-4 had more bass than the HE400 but it's similar to maybe a just having a smidge less. Still, the HE-4 is a true upgrade for DT880 owners, and the bass IS very good, like the HE-400. I just like more emphasis, personally.

The DT880 is an energetic headphone. The HE-4 keeps that energy going. The HE-400 is more laidback.

Overall, which of the Hifimans do I prefer after all is said and done? The HE-400. Don't get me wrong... the HE-4 is ABSOLUTELY amazing. If it had maybe 5% more bass, I'd like it over the HE-400. Just, I like the bigger bass on the HE-400, and that wasn't exactly enough for my taste. Looks like it's still gonna be the 990's for me. It is the weakest of the three for sure, but it's sound signature is to my preference. It's not always about the better headphone, but which one you can jam out to more.

For those who want a more LIVELY sound to the HE-400 and have an amp to power them, the HE-4 is an obvious choice. I know some people do find the HE-400 to lack in energy. The HE-4 is that viable alternative, while still having many of the same qualities. Seriously.

You are paying $450 (already comes with velours), where the HE-400 you pay around $420 (velours).

I do find the HE-4 more comfy than the 990s, which says a lot. It's also more comfy than the HE-400, for sure. The velours, and the weight are a win.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #5,108 of 6,017
So do I understand that you like these less than the he400 and that they cost more? 
blink.gif
 jk...gotta give you a little crap for dropping out of the he400 club, but I had the good sense to come back quickly. 
wink.gif

Never did catch any of your comments on the new amp. Let me know...

Matt

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #5,110 of 6,017
The SA-31 is SS, and I do feel they have a nice crisp clarity to them, and great body. I don't think they'd be a viable replacement for the Lyr, other than for those not wanting to deal with tube and want more inputs, the SA-31 is definitely amazing.

To anyone considering ordering them... be aware that the amp is meant for good sources. Portable sources that are too weak in voltage, won't get loud with the SA-31. The gain is 0-10db which is considerably lower than the E9K (18db). If you ask Kingwa to add gain, I believe he mentioned that he would as a custom order. Pretty soon I'm gonna add resistors to bump the gain from 0-10db to 8-20db. That should cover all my needs (I have FIVE weak sources, like my phone that I need this amp to work with). Power-wise, these babies make the HE-4 sounds fantastic. I found the Lyr to be slightly more recessed in the mids with the HE-4. Undoubtedly. I like the SA-31 more. I just need that gain boost.

The bass is creeping up to really good levels. I changed the songs and they do NOT disappoint... even as a 990 fan.

edit: I must say, I love the HE-4. I truly do. They just don't have a place with MY preferences of bass. And since I don't need something competing with the 990s, I thought I'd go with something different as an alternative... so I just ordered the HD650. I would have went back to the HE-400, but I want something new, with forward mids and warmth. the HE-400's mids are natural, but not forward.

I will miss the HE-4. I love everything about them. I just don't have a use for them. I wish they had the same amount of bass as the 990s. The 990s would have been easily returned.

Jesus, the velours on the HE-4 are AMAZINGLY comfy. What the hell happened? The new ones... are just nowehere near as awesome.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #5,111 of 6,017
I live in Brazil and  took advantage of the fact that a friend was going to spend a few days in the US and asked him to bring a unit of HE-400 for me. I ordered and had it delivered to him, no problem. 
Yesterday, I got the headphone and was very excited to test it. To my big disappointment, the left ear channel stoped working after 5 minutes. Then it was on and off, cutting out the sound for a couple minutes. I though the cable was not properly connected, or something.. switched cables and the problem persisted. I then discovered that if I pressed it against my head, the sound came back. 
I turned it off, took of the earpads, tightened the screws I saw and the sound came back again. 

I remember I had read something a while back about this issue, but though it was a "1st batch" related issue. I believed that having passed almost a year, Hifiman would have this problem figured out by now. I was really sad to discover otherwise. 

So, I emailed them and am waiting for their feedback. 

I don´t want to ship it back to China and be a month without it, since it´s the only headphone I have. 
Everything that comes from another country goes through customs here, and it stays there for weeks. 

Anybody who have recently bought one has had the same issue? How it was resolved?

Thanks
Luciano.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #5,112 of 6,017
Quote:
I live in Brazil and  took advantage of the fact that a friend was going to spend a few days in the US and asked him to bring a unit of HE-400 for me. I ordered and had it delivered to him, no problem. 
Yesterday, I got the headphone and was very excited to test it. To my big disappointment, the left ear channel stoped working after 5 minutes. Then it was on and off, cutting out the sound for a couple minutes. I though the cable was not properly connected, or something.. switched cables and the problem persisted. I then discovered that if I pressed it against my head, the sound came back. 
I turned it off, took of the earpads, tightened the screws I saw and the sound came back again. 

I remember I had read something a while back about this issue, but though it was a "1st batch" related issue. I believed that having passed almost a year, Hifiman would have this problem figured out by now. I was really sad to discover otherwise. 

So, I emailed them and am waiting for their feedback. 

I don´t want to ship it back to China and be a month without it, since it´s the only headphone I have. 
Everything that comes from another country goes through customs here, and it stays there for weeks. 

Anybody who have recently bought one has had the same issue? How it was resolved?

Thanks
Luciano.

Did you order straight from Head-Direct?

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #5,113 of 6,017
First of all, welcome to headfi!! There are a few issues here. 

1. You may have a revision 3 driver. If that is the case, then you can mail the hp back and they will repair it and cover the cost of shipping, just save your receipt. Just pull off the earpad and check the color. White=good Sandy Brown=bad

2. Hifiman has been good about standing behind their products. Just email them and I'm certain they will take care of you regardless of the issue. 

They have an open announcement thread here that you can use.

gL!!

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #5,114 of 6,017
Quote:
The SA-31 is SS, and I do feel they have a nice crisp clarity to them, and great body. I don't think they'd be a viable replacement for the Lyr, other than for those not wanting to deal with tube and want more inputs, the SA-31 is definitely amazing.
To anyone considering ordering them... be aware that the amp is meant for good sources. Portable sources that are too weak in voltage, won't get loud with the SA-31. The gain is 0-10db which is considerably lower than the E9K (18db). If you ask Kingwa to add gain, I believe he mentioned that he would as a custom order. Pretty soon I'm gonna add resistors to bump the gain from 0-10db to 8-20db. That should cover all my needs (I have FIVE weak sources, like my phone that I need this amp to work with). Power-wise, these babies make the HE-4 sounds fantastic. I found the Lyr to be slightly more recessed in the mids with the HE-4. Undoubtedly. I like the SA-31 more. I just need that gain boost.
The bass is creeping up to really good levels. I changed the songs and they do NOT disappoint... even as a 990 fan.
edit: I must say, I love the HE-4. I truly do. They just don't have a place with MY preferences of bass. And since I don't need something competing with the 990s, I thought I'd go with something different as an alternative... so I just ordered the HD650. I would have went back to the HE-400, but I want something new, with forward mids and warmth. the HE-400's mids are natural, but not forward.
I will miss the HE-4. I love everything about them. I just don't have a use for them. I wish they had the same amount of bass as the 990s. The 990s would have been easily returned.
Jesus, the velours on the HE-4 are AMAZINGLY comfy. What the hell happened? The new ones... are just nowehere near as awesome.

So Asgard will not be enough for HE-4? So you keeping or gonna sell them? Is ME-4 bass as good and deep as HE-400?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back