New HiFiMan HE-5LE Review on Playback Mag
Jul 15, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 13
Always enjoyed the AVGuide reviews. Get on the mail list if you haven´t already.

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 13
Not really suprised that it got a good review, since in my opinion for the price point of 700 dollars, there simply is nothing better. T1, HD800, LCD2 etc... all cost over one grand... and I am sure the LE's will give them a run for their money... Superb headphone.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 13
It's well-written, but I don't give this review much credence. He doesn't even know the price of the HD650. He also uses an amp that's tailored for the HE-5 / LE to test all the headphones

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 13
Well actually he did know the price of the 650s. He referenced the retail price which is what most reviewers does. They still cost that much at some places, and still run 500.00 in most places. The EF-5 is not only a good amp for the HE-5s, it's a good amp period. Some use this amp even with the HD650s. And eventhough it's a good amp with the HE-5s, it's not great. Many people have reported better synergy with other amps. So that's an invalid argument.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 13
I also read a similar review of an HE5 in headfonia and its like almost the same thing comparing it with the HD800s its says its enjoyable but HD800 is better on some aspects.  its like what they really want to say is the HE5 cant win but at least they're trying.. but damn i prefer the looks of HE5/LE

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 13
Unless the HE-5LE are drastically different from the HE-5, I disagree with a number of his findings too, but then again, most professional headphone reviews are not so great IMO. There are a bunch of experienced Head-Fi'ers around here whose reviews I trust a lot more.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
I also read a similar review of an HE5 in headfonia and its like almost the same thing comparing it with the HD800s its says its enjoyable but HD800 is better on some aspects.  its like what they really want to say is the HE5 cant win but at least they're trying.. but damn i prefer the looks of HE5/LE

The HE-5LEs are clearly better than the HD800s in some aspects. After spending a lot of time with both headphones I enjoy the HE-5LEs the most even though it has some downsides compared to the mighty HD800s.

Anyhow I did a review of both, the HE-5LE one can be seen here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/HE-5LE/ and the HD800 here http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/sennheiser/hd800

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:

The HE-5LEs are clearly better than the HD800s in some aspects. After spending a lot of time with both headphones I enjoy the HE-5LEs the most even though it has some downsides compared to the mighty HD800s.

Anyhow I did a review of both, the HE-5LE one can be seen here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/HE-5LE/ and the HD800 here http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/sennheiser/hd800

Your source used: HiFiMAN HM-801 portable player
Your amp used: Head-Direct EF1

Headfonia source used: CEC TL51XZ CD Player
Headfonia amp used: 4-ch. Balanced Beta22

I think I know why the reviews were different.

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Your source used: HiFiMAN HM-801 portable player
Your amp used: Head-Direct EF1

Headfonia source used: CEC TL51XZ CD Player
Headfonia amp used: 4-ch. Balanced Beta22

I think I know why the reviews were different.

Sorry thought it was the AVGuide review we were discussing my bad.
Just wanted to note that with a similar rig to that of AVGuide you get similar results.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Not really suprised that it got a good review, since in my opinion for the price point of 700 dollars, there simply is nothing better. T1, HD800, LCD2 etc... all cost over one grand... and I am sure the LE's will give them a run for their money... Superb headphone.

Actually the LCD-2 is slightly under a grand, while the Grado PS1000 tops them all @$1,700!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back