NEW HiBy R4
May 22, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #646 of 1,043
In addition to @Joe Bloggs questions, could you explain what you mean by “Apple Lossless tunes from my collection of burned CD’s”: were those tracks already in Apple Lossless format (ALAC) on your burned CDs? …or did you get Apple Lossless format tracks through Apple Music match feature, but the burned CDs were another format (e.g. mp3)?
In the former case, they should be readable by HiBy Music… In the later case, they are most likely DRM-protected (unreadable).
Thanks for your input! All my music is commercially-bought CD’s that I ripped into ALAC…I think I need either a fresh SD card or another re-format.

May 22, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #647 of 1,043
Do you use a Mac or PC? The card should be recognized whether it's formatted in exFAT or FAT32. What prompts do you see on the player when you insert the card while the player is on?

Are you able to see the external SD card and its files using the included file browser?
I use a MacBook Pro, I’ve noticed the Android File Transfer isn’t seeing the SD portion of my storage, when I’m trying to move my files over.

May 23, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #648 of 1,043
@Joe Bloggs my unit arrives in the next couple of days. Is there a recommended way to stress test the R4 for heat? What is the acceptable temp rang

what about streaming music from Tidal or Spotify? does this overheats Hiby F4 too?
I received mine yesterday. The temperature remains constant at 45-48 degrees Celsius while listening to Tidal with in-ear monitors on balance. I've tried everything I know to lower the temperature, such as switching off background apps, reducing CPU power, and turning off sensors. It seems like this device is meant to work at this temperature, possibly due to the amplifier

May 23, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #649 of 1,043
IMG_7177.jpegIs this normal? I could put it in my lunchbox and have hot lunch by noon!
High gain, vol 60, and Artti T10 my most demanding IEM hooked up. Streaming Tidal with no plugins ac I am using almost the same scenario (different IEMs), and mine is running constantly at 45 degrees Celsius. It starts from 36 degrees at standby, and as soon as I start streaming music, the temperature starts rising until it reaches 45-47 degrees.

May 23, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #650 of 1,043
IMG_7177.jpegIs this normal? I could put it in my lunchbox and have hot lunch by noon!
High gain, vol 60, and Artti T10 my most demanding IEM hooked up. Streaming Tidal with no plugins active.
I am using almost the same scenario (different IEMs), and mine is running constantly at 45 degrees Celsius. It starts from 36 degrees at standby, and as soon as I start streaming music, the temperature starts rising until it reaches 45-47 degrees.

May 23, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #651 of 1,043
@Joe Bloggs I updated my r4 to the latest beta firmware yesterday and I noticed that when I plug in my FC6 dac it won't turn on like before the upgrade. I tried other dongles and usb cables its the same. However, if I plug the dongles to my laptop they work just fine. Is there a setting thats new here?

EDIT:

@Joe Bloggs I found the fix. Audio Settings > USB Working Mode > Auto Mode. In the previous firmware, I didn't have to select the option manually.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #652 of 1,043
Quick impressions of the R4. Got mine last week and so far really enjoying it. This is my first DAP and it's meeting and exceeding my expectations so far.

Sonically, I think the soundstage is pretty good, not mind-blowing. Separation is quite good. Overall, the tonal balance is natural and uncolored. IEMs sound excellent on low gain, and full-sized headphones like the ZMF Bokeh and Hifiman HE1000 V2 sound sufficiently driven on medium gain. High gain, to me, sounds grainy even at lower volumes.

Zero issues with exFat formatted micro-SD card. Battery life is pretty decent, heavy listening sessions with hires files lasted me about 2 days. Playing DSD and FLAC files does get the unit pretty warm, but not to levels that I would consider alarming.

All in all, pretty great little DAP, and looks hella cyberpunk too.

20240518_223857.jpg
Really great to see these impressions with the Bokeh, looks like a great piece of kit. I don’t “need” another bit of kit, but….

Thanks for sharing!

May 23, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #655 of 1,043
Beware of joining the beta update. Update 1.11_20240521-1811 issue!

So I updated with beta yesterday in this version for the R4 and now I am having the issue of flashing headphone icon on top and volume bouncing around. I contacted hiby via email and they asking me to send the device back. Kinda silly when my device is physically fine. Why can't I just reflash a new update to undo what the beta did? All I need is the file. I already booted I to recovery. I can just put the new or old update on sd card and I can flash it from recovery. Their solution is for me to go to usps and spend more money and wait prob a month and send it back and get another. Kinda silly I had some trust that they would be more savy than this and have a real software solution to a bad beta update. My hardware was running cool no heat and physically fine. I guess I need to stick to sony.

May 23, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #656 of 1,043

So I updated with beta yesterday in this version for the R4 and now I am having the issue of flashing headphone icon on top and volume bouncing around. I contacted hiby via email and they asking me to send the device back. Kinda silly when my device is physically fine. Why can't I just reflash a new update to undo what the beta did? All I need is the file. I already booted I to recovery. I can just put the new or old update on sd card and I can flash it from recovery. Their solution is for me to go to usps and spend more money and wait prob a month and send it back and get another. Kinda silly I had some trust that they would be more savy than this and have a real software solution to a bad beta update. My hardware was running cool no heat and physically fine. I guess I need to stick to sony.

Video of bad beta update

Picture

May 23, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #657 of 1,043

While I understand your frustration it's BETA for a reason, I seriously doubt an older formware version can not be requested for you to flash back to a working version
Try messaging Joe Bloggs on here and requesting it
I agree their resolution seems overkill, perhaps they are confusing the overheating issue with yours and are just telling people to send them back

May 23, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #658 of 1,043
While I understand your frustration it's BETA for a reason, I seriously doubt an older formware version can not be requested for you to flash back to a working version
Try messaging Joe Bloggs on here and requesting it
I agree their resolution seems overkill, perhaps they are confusing the overheating issue with yours and are just telling people to send them back
Yeah that was my bad. I didn't think when I flipped that beta toggle. But you and I agree. It's software not a physical heating issue. I should be able to reflash it back from sd card via recovery menu. I hope so.

May 23, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #659 of 1,043
I tried to order from the Hiby company store at the very beginning of sales. The store replied that they do not send to Ukraine and recommended that sales go to Ali or Amazon. I’ve been following the forum thread and I’m very glad that they rejected me then. There is nothing good about this device, although I like Hiby’s devices. Well, there is a black mark in the family. I use Tempotek V6, with reference to Fiio M11s and Hibi R6 III.

May 23, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #660 of 1,043
Yeah that was my bad. I didn't think when I flipped that beta toggle. But you and I agree. It's software not a physical heating issue. I should be able to reflash it back from sd card via recovery menu. I hope so.
I also installed the beta firmware and the same thing is happening with my device, with the flashing headphone icon on top and volume bouncing around. I just want to note that this only happens when there are no headphones plugged in, and the flashing stops and volume normalizes when I have headphones plugged in and I can listen normally.

I agree that this is a software issue with the beta, and I hope that this is fixed by the time they push out the finalized stable update to the public.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back