NEW HiBy R4
May 17, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #511 of 867
I am very interested in the R4 but I would also consider stepping up to a higher end Hiby DAP. I really like the look and features of the R5 gen2, any chance you could give a heads-up on a possible R5 gen3 coming out in the future? I certainly understand if you can't.

I also just started looking at the Hiby R6 III as another step up DAP from the R4.

May 17, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #512 of 867
I am very interested in the R4 but I would also consider stepping up to a higher end Hiby DAP. I really like the look and features of the R5 gen2, any chance you could give a heads-up on a possible R5 gen3 coming out in the future? I certainly understand if you can't.

I also just started looking at the Hiby R6 III as another step up DAP from the R4.
Consider the R6P2, it’s a great Dap and has dropped a bit in price since it was first released too.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #513 of 867
A general note regarding the temperature 😅

Any user experiencing what they regard as abnormal heat from their new R4 is encouraged to contact hello@hiby.com regarding the issue.

The player *does* have a Class A amplifier inside, which generates significant heat. Our customer service will guide affected users through test(s) to determine whether the heat they experience is normal, or abnormal. We are aware of a few malfunctioning units that are outputting abnormal amounts of heat*, so this is by no means a test for shrugging users off 😅 Rather a few simple test(s) to check that we don't actually have a case of over-nervous user on our hands 😅😅😅.

Once the heating is determined to be abnormal, you will be given instructions for shipping the device back to us for replacement, and you will be reimbursed for this shipment.

*or rather, we should say we are aware that there is a possibility that an improperly assembled may be constructed in such a way as to have an overheating issue (we are not aware of any particular batches of units shipped overseas that are especially likely to actually suffer from this); not that any number of units were knowingly shipped out having this issue.

Best regards,
Joseph Yeung
HiBy Music
I did get nervous about that heating issue with all those antsy pantsy posts here (and I don't blame them). However, I noticed that my unit doesn't even get warm at all if I just play locally stored files (wav, dsd, flac). I've been driving my Sundaras at high gain for almost six hours now. But yesterday, when I was streaming Tidal, I felt the unit warm up. I didn't change any settings here. Do you have any insights?

May 17, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #514 of 867
Consider the R6P2, it’s a great Dap and has dropped a bit in price since it was first released too.
That is stretching my budget a little to far, I am looking more in the $500 US range which fits the R6 III and also maybe the Shanling M5 Ultra. An updated R5 gen2 (to gen3) would probably hit the perfect spot if Hiby included the gen2 features with some upgraded hardware and software.

May 17, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #516 of 867
I did get nervous about that heating issue with all those antsy pantsy posts here (and I don't blame them). However, I noticed that my unit doesn't even get warm at all if I just play locally stored files (wav, dsd, flac). I've been driving my Sundaras at high gain for almost six hours now. But yesterday, when I was streaming Tidal, I felt the unit warm up. I didn't change any settings here. Do you have any insights?
Your unit's warming up would then be related to extra CPU / WiFi activity rather than amplification. And appears to be entirely normal in the course of using an Android device.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 17, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #517 of 867
Your unit's warming up would then be related to extra CPU / WiFi activity rather than amplification. And appears to be entirely normal in the course of using an Android device.
Thanks again. It really helps to calm nerves if company representatives reassure customers that what they bought does not have any factory defects.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #519 of 867
That is stretching my budget a little to far, I am looking more in the $500 US range which fits the R6 III and also maybe the Shanling M5 Ultra. An updated R5 gen2 (to gen3) would probably hit the perfect spot if Hiby included the gen2 features with some upgraded hardware and software.
+1000 !!! The only thing I'm concerned about my R5G2 is the fact it isn't really future-proof with that SD425 chipset and Android 8.1. I mean; it works fine, nothing to complain about right now, but my own experience shows that ageing OS will be a problem for the support of some apps at some point :grimacing:
One thing to complain about; all of my apps run fine, if not better than on R5G1, but... Deezer app (sorry, I'm French...) lags a LOT ! It takes 30 secs to startup, then for each tap, it takes a few seconds to take action, and move up :scream: Soundwise, no hiccups though...
And that never happens on my Xiaomi phone, neither on the Shanling M3U (SD665, Android 10)

May 17, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #520 of 867
Hello,
My device arrived today. I can’t turn the volume up or down. It says digital volume locked. I moved the switch on the top right of the unit but I still can’t turn up or down the volume. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

May 17, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #521 of 867
Just arrived 😍 I got the green lanyard with it. Off to play with it now for the day 😄
IMG_20240517_150920.jpg

May 17, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #522 of 867
Hello,
My device arrived today. I can’t turn the volume up or down. It says digital volume locked. I moved the switch on the top right of the unit but I still can’t turn up or down the volume. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
I just discovered that too.

Settings / Audio Settings / SPDIF Digital Volume lock - I turned this OFF and the volume worked as normal.

May 17, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #523 of 867
Hello,

Thank you
Hi Puroplatino,

What audio device are you connecting to?

There is no lock, when the player is playing direct to headphones.

When playing to USB devices or coaxial S/PDIF digital output, there may be digital volume lock. There should be relevant settings in the menus, or audio settings from the pulldown shade, to change this. I can't tell you the exact location at the moment, because I don't have this exact unit with me just yet.

edit: see post above mine.

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 17, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #524 of 867
I am glad I came across this thread. My unit is still in transit. Hoping I do not have an overheating issue when it gets here.
It's situations like this that taught me to not be an early adopter and be patient until bugs are worked out. I'm too old to be a test subject. Of course someone has to be at the front of the line to help me, and I appreciate that. Seriously.

May 17, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #525 of 867
I got my r4 today. It does get quite warm but with it being class a it gets a little warmer than my full-size class a/b amps. No concerns yet. Have been following this thread and have had concerns. The device does get quite warm but it hasn’t affected the sound or functionality of the device that I have been able to tell. It cools right down when headphones aren’t plugged in and no music is playing. Installed plugins and have been toggling them off and on to see how they affect the sound and if I like what they do or not.
Initial impression of the device is positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back