New here... any tips? ATH-M50s
Jan 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #61 of 84
Quote:
I don't know, in his review of the DT880 (3 impedance variations) Tyll (from Innerfidelity) said he preferred the 250ohm to the 32 even for use with a portable player... That must mean something, BU i would personally skip the 32 and look at the two bigger brothers

Probably he is using some kind of portable amplificacion, but even that, i've always found the DTs very power hungry for portable devices. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #62 of 84
Quote:
Probably he is using some kind of portable amplificacion, but even that, i've always found the DTs very power hungry for portable devices. 

That is relative (planar magnetics :p)

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #64 of 84
Quote:
That is relative (planar magnetics :p)

Well, compared with headphones that can be easily moved from a movil phone, that i thought they were the ones we were talking about.. I can't imagine moving the Staxs form a iphone.. (well, in fact i can't imagine moving the DT 880 directly from a movil phone)..

But you are right, a reference point should be chosen to avoid the relativity...

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #65 of 84
OP, I think you need to spend some time on the boards and read up on all these different open cans. (The HD800 might not suit your preferences being that they're very analytical and lean on bass - still have an immense soundstage though). The thing about open cans is that you lose a bit of that bass emphasis/punch that you get more with closed cans (although there are several closed cans that are light on bass as well).

I think the open cans you should read up on are:

HE-400
HD650
DT990
DT880 (although these might not be up to your standards bass-wise if you find the M50s light on bass)

Take your time researching and enjoy your M50s along the way. It's a good idea to keep them since they're good all-rounder AND they'll serve as a basis for comparison. It's why I've kept mine around.

Another recommendation since you are on a budget:

Get a Fostex T50RP and mod them. With a few simple mods, you can tune the sound to your liking and make them bassy while being very refined sounding. Of course this a closed can but I figure you should look into this since you don't have to hurt your wallet too badly - this might be a nice option. The ortho drivers are great and a modded T50RP can compete with some of the more expensive cans out there.

Oh and happy new year!

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #66 of 84
Quote:
My other option is saving up for the next year and getting a pair of hd800s, or t1's. I could seriously do it, but it'd be a long time. Question is, would it be worth it? Haha

well, You'd need to save a lot more to get proper amplification, if it is worth, probably hell yeah, but if your new I would start trying out the mid models of each house to see which you like better and then jump to the big boys 
biggrin.gif
. That's what I'm trying to do

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #67 of 84
Subsctibed

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #68 of 84
Quote:
My other option is saving up for the next year and getting a pair of hd800s, or t1's. I could seriously do it, but it'd be a long time. Question is, would it be worth it? Haha

IMHO I think jumping straight to summit-fi is not a good route to go, because one its expensive and you don't know exactly what you like. You should stra out with at least mid fi stufff like the DT880 and the K701 then move on to HD800 when you know for shure what you like. 

Andre

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #71 of 84
Quote:
Is the Tesla T1 similar to the DT990?  I know it's like an extremely improved version of the DT880.  Also, I'm loving these forums.  Head-fi has been a great experience so far.  :D

People say the 990 has a big "V" S.S, while the T1, like you said , is an improved 880, which is a more neutral H.P. I would go over to an T1 thread to ask someone who actually has the experience

Yeah, Head-Fi also gets addicting after a while, before I spent hours on youtube even if there was nothing to watch, now I spend hours on head-fi even if there is nothing for me to read 
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #72 of 84
Quote:
Is the Tesla T1 similar to the DT990?  I know it's like an extremely improved version of the DT880.  Also, I'm loving these forums.  Head-fi has been a great experience so far.  :D

Well the DT990 were updated to the T90, so if you really like them, try to go to a meet or ask around on the forums how the the T90 sounds the same as the DT990 then go for that. To me the T1 is not worth me giving up on my DT880, If I had T1's and DT880 I would probably use the DT880s anyways. 

Maybe i just need more time with T1.

Andre

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #74 of 84
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/605157/dt-990-pro-vs-dt-880-pro
This thread is convincing me to get the DT880s... I figure if I want some "fun" out of them, I always have an EQ, and I'm gonna need an amp for these.  So yeah.  Then in the future, I'll probably consider either some Tesla T1s.. or probably some LCD-2s.

I started with the etymotic hf5, then bought the fiio e17, then the dt880, and now I own the HE-500 and a decent tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back