New here... any tips? ATH-M50s
Dec 31, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #46 of 84
Quote:
Thanks, drivers66 -- I don't think I had read that the fit might be effectively achieved through positioning.   I love my K-702s... and this observation makes me want to add to my AKG collection  :)

May be you would like to read this nice post by dontscareme, he explains much better this issue with the capsules position. Section 5 could be the most interesting for you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588230/akg-k550-vs-some-others-denon-d2000-akg-k271-ultrasone-edition-8-shure-940-shure-840-beyer-dt770

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #49 of 84
Quote:
For DTs you will need heavy amplification, even with the low impedance models. 

I don't know, in his review of the DT880 (3 impedance variations) Tyll (from Innerfidelity) said he preferred the 250ohm to the 32 even for use with a portable player... That must mean something, BU i would personally skip the 32 and look at the two bigger brothers

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #50 of 84
I have the DT 990/600 -- and was never satisfied with them without amplification.
With an amp, they can really sing.  Never tried the lower impedance models, however.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #51 of 84
Quote:
May be you would like to read this nice post by dontscareme, he explains much better this issue with the capsules position. Section 5 could be the most interesting for you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588230/akg-k550-vs-some-others-denon-d2000-akg-k271-ultrasone-edition-8-shure-940-shure-840-beyer-dt770

Really helped!  I had missed this one.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #52 of 84
Quote:
I have the DT 990/600 -- and was never satisfied with them without amplification.
With an amp, they can really sing.  Never tried the lower impedance models, however.

Well, it's really a tough decision for me right now.  The DT990's need an amp, which I figured.  The K550's don't at all I'm guessing; they're 32 ohms.  I'm take it that with decent headphones like these, the fact that they're low impedance doesn't mean anything bad?  The K550's are the best for portablility, since they'll run well from a phone/ipod without any extra amplification, they're closed so they'll block out sound from outside pretty well, and they don't leak so I can easily use them around other people without bothering them.  These are just my assumptions.  I'm also assuming that the DT990's leak a great deal since they're open, and they don't muffle any outer noises.  The bass from the DT990's is probably better than the K550's, although I'm not sure; the K550's have a large driver (50mm), but I'm not sure about the travel so the bass might be less than expected.  I'm not going to get the premium version of the DT990's if I got them, and personally I find the non premium version to be ugly.  Meanwhile, the K550's look really sexy (in my opinion), the premium version of the DT990's look just as sexy, but they're out of my price range.  The K550's are the closest closed cans you can get to an open set of headphones from what I read.  I'm going to keep my M50's.  I want to start buying/collecting different headphones, who knows, I'll probably end up having both the K550's and DT990's in the future, but the major question is, which first?

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #53 of 84
Well, it's really a tough decision for me right now.  The DT990's need an amp, which I figured.  The K550's don't at all I'm guessing; they're 32 ohms.  I'm take it that with decent headphones like these, the fact that they're low impedance doesn't mean anything bad?  The K550's are the best for portablility, since they'll run well from a phone/ipod without any extra amplification, they're closed so they'll block out sound from outside pretty well, and they don't leak so I can easily use them around other people without bothering them.  These are just my assumptions.  I'm also assuming that the DT990's leak a great deal since they're open, and they don't muffle any outer noises.  The bass from the DT990's is probably better than the K550's, although I'm not sure; the K550's have a large driver (50mm), but I'm not sure about the travel so the bass might be less than expected.  I'm not going to get the premium version of the DT990's if I got them, and personally I find the non premium version to be ugly.  Meanwhile, the K550's look really sexy (in my opinion), the premium version of the DT990's look just as sexy, but they're out of my price range.  The K550's are the closest closed cans you can get to an open set of headphones from what I read.  I'm going to keep my M50's.  I want to start buying/collecting different headphones, who knows, I'll probably end up having both the K550's and DT990's in the future, but the major question is, which first?
Have you considered the hd 380 pro? I've said this before but you didn't respond:frowning2:. Lol just curious

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #54 of 84
Haven't read through every page of this thread, but have you considered maybe expanding your budget slightly and going with a B-Stock HE-400 and an E11/E17?

Would cost you $390 - $430. It'd give you the sound stage, the bass, they're relatively sufficient.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #55 of 84
Are the HD380 pro's good?  They're only $190.  I'd like to hear some personal experiences with these.  And expanding my budget is not an option unfortunately.  I'm 15.
frown.gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #56 of 84
I think they are excellent. iPod 160 for them brand new from best buy(on special) and coupled with my e11 amp and l9 lod( 50-60 bucks) sound amazing. Once they are put on the amp, the bass really comes out and you can tune it for what type of music you're listening to. I go by 0 for old or classical music, 1 for alternative or rock, and 1 or 2 for dubstep, electronic, and hip hop.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #59 of 84
Quote:
Are the HD380 pro's good?  They're only $190.  I'd like to hear some personal experiences with these.  And expanding my budget is not an option unfortunately.  I'm 15.
frown.gif

Since you are only 15, I have two suggestions for you

1) Get out, run before you're to broke you have to sell your legs. 

2) get a job soon. 

As for headphones, The DT990's are very fun and have a V shape sound to them, they have ridiculous bass for and open back headphone and some really nice highs, now for the DT880's they are very analytical and will let you hear things in your music you didn't know was there. The K550's or the closed back K701, is a very good all around headphone, simply because its a 701 with less sound stage but have a very neutral and balanced sound. Also the K550 is the easiest to drive. 

Andre

Happy New Year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back