New here... any tips? ATH-M50s
Dec 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

DeadlyNeodymium

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new here.

I have some Audio Technica ATH-M50s... and they're pretty good.  One thing that bothers me is that my phone can't drive them that well.  I have a speaker amp that also serves as a crude headphone amp, and it has the ability to completely burn the drivers in my M50s up if I wanted to.  I can completely max out the bass that these things can do, if I want to.  My phone (RAZR HD) can't really do that.  I'm considering the Fiio E11, but I'm afraid it won't have enough power and I've heard things about it breaking and dying over time.  I'm always considering a new pair of cans, since my main issue is with the M50s... they have too crowded of a sound stage, not enough bass, and the highs are a bit harsh and cold at times.  Any tips?

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 84
The e11 should have plenty of power. I would get another headphone, because the m50 is only mediocre, and doesn't really need an amp

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 84
Seems like you want a bassy can? Somebody else will be able to help you better than I.

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 84
The usual recommendations will do.

V-Moda M100
Ultrasone Pro 900 (apparently a love or hate pair of cans, I think they're awesome though)
Ultrasone 780
Denon D2K

Quote:

I'm always considering a new pair of cans, since my main issue is with the M50s... they have too crowded of a sound stage, not enough bass, and the highs are a bit harsh and cold at times.  Any tips?

In that case, you can discount the Ultrasones

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 84
Quote:
  I'm always considering a new pair of cans, since my main issue is with the M50s... they have too crowded of a sound stage, not enough bass, and the highs are a bit harsh and cold at times.  Any tips?

Doctor: "Sir, these are symptoms of the disease known as the 'ATH-M50 hype' as a doctor i recommend you get a better headphone" 
deadhorse.gif

im surprised that you didnt like the bass on them though
try the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro maybe?
PM this guy and he'll give you good advice 
http://www.head-fi.org/u/179563/malveaux

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 84
Quote:
Doctor: "Sir, these are symptoms of the disease known as the 'ATH-M50 hype' as a doctor i recommend you get a better headphone" 
deadhorse.gif

im surprised that you didnt like the bass on them though
try the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro maybe?
PM this guy and he'll give you good advice 
http://www.head-fi.org/u/179563/malveaux

I would to think you should PM Malv, he knows his stuff when it comes to bass cans or just closed back cans in general. I suggest going for the Denon 2000s. And if you want an open back with alot of bass, the DT990 Pro will do the job

Andre

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 84
Well I'm a basshead at times... Mostly I want some headphones that can KICK me in the face, but still be mild and have lush mids and highs, with the right mix of warmth and dead precision. The bass part is just to make the noobs I know who use beats shut up when they put my cans on. I don't want them to be able to say "mine has better/more bass".

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 84
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm new here.

I have some Audio Technica ATH-M50s... and they're pretty good.  One thing that bothers me is that my phone can't drive them that well.  I have a speaker amp that also serves as a crude headphone amp, and it has the ability to completely burn the drivers in my M50s up if I wanted to.  I can completely max out the bass that these things can do, if I want to.  My phone (RAZR HD) can't really do that.  I'm considering the Fiio E11, but I'm afraid it won't have enough power and I've heard things about it breaking and dying over time.  I'm always considering a new pair of cans, since my main issue is with the M50s... they have too crowded of a sound stage, not enough bass, and the highs are a bit harsh and cold at times.  Any tips?

First of first you need to use a better source. I have the RAZR and they sounds very bad comparing with my many other MP3 players, all of them. Even my Asus TF101 tablet sounds "HiFi" when comparing with them. Fiio E11 will help amplifying the input from the RAZR but if the input source doesn't sounds good it will not produce good result. Forget about upgrading your headphones until you get a better source. Maybe a cheap Sony MP3 player is many times better than the RAZR. M50 is highly recommended by experience people like lJokerl and Tyll that handles hundreds of headphones so I am confident they know what they are talking or recommending.

I have the RAZR, Sansa, T51, TF101 and even my old HTC Desire sounds very much better than the RAZR. So get a better source player it will at least give you better sound and higher amplification especially the M50 works quite nicely with portable MP3 player. My cheap Sony NWZ-S545 can even drive my Sennheiser HD-650 at 60-70% volume nicely where the RAZR at full volume can even give me the 50% volume of my Sony. Of course, I do this for testing. I have a headphone AMP and I use LO from my T51.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 84
I have the RAZR Hd, I've heard that the sound is a lot better than the RAZR ;it's a different phone and to me, my sansa has the same quality, the worst source I've used is my iPhone 3G. My RAZR HD and the sansa sound pretty much the same. I'm not sure how it compares to the original RAZR, but I'm sure it's definitely different.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 84
crowded soundstage? harsh highs? lacking bass? that is very typical of the M50
blink.gif

probably the first step is to change the headphone. then compare sources after that

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 84
Quote:
crowded soundstage? harsh highs? lacking bass? that is very typical of the M50
blink.gif

probably the first step is to change the headphone. then compare sources after that

Haha well it's good to hear that I qualify as a legitimate audiophile!  Don't get me wrong, these are great headphones, insane compared to most consumer level cans.  When I put on ANY headphone around me, they're always awful and just plain terrible sounding than the M50s.  My friend won't let me try out his $400 Denons until he gets an amp 
rolleyes.gif
.  So for the most part, I haven't heard anything better than the M50s yet, but I'm still able to detect it's flaws and downsides.  The only sort of good headphones that I'm able to listen to are some AKG K240's.  The M50s have much better bass (the K240s are very lacking in bass), and are a bit more detailed in sound, but the K240s for some reason are easier on my ears (less fatigue after long periods) partially because they're a lot more comfortable.  I agree that the M50's ARE hyped, but at least they have the quality in sound to sort of back it, but in my opinion they should really be priced at $100.  Beats by Dre are awful when I've listened to them, yet the hype (and overprice) behind them doesn't even need to be mentioned.  So yeah, I think these forums are gonna be great for me.  :)

EDIT:  Should I sell my M50s so I can buy better headphones?  What's the usual resale value for a used pair?

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 84
Quote:
Haha well it's good to hear that I qualify as a legitimate audiophile!  Don't get me wrong, these are great headphones, insane compared to most consumer level cans.  When I put on ANY headphone around me, they're always awful and just plain terrible sounding than the M50s.  My friend won't let me try out his $400 Denons until he gets an amp 
rolleyes.gif
.  So for the most part, I haven't heard anything better than the M50s yet, but I'm still able to detect it's flaws and downsides.  The only sort of good headphones that I'm able to listen to are some AKG K240's.  The M50s have much better bass (the K240s are very lacking in bass), and are a bit more detailed in sound, but the K240s for some reason are easier on my ears (less fatigue after long periods) partially because they're a lot more comfortable.  I agree that the M50's ARE hyped, but at least they have the quality in sound to sort of back it, but in my opinion they should really be priced at $100.  Beats by Dre are awful when I've listened to them, yet the hype (and overprice) behind them doesn't even need to be mentioned.  So yeah, I think these forums are gonna be great for me.  :)

EDIT:  Should I sell my M50s so I can buy better headphones?  What's the usual resale value for a used pair?

i would guess probably sell it off, save up a little cash, and get the DT770 80 ohms. since the main problem is that you are not really happy with them
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #14 of 84
Well, it's like, I want a better, wider soundstage, not cramped like the M50s.  The bass is good, but I want deeper, not louder.  I'm kinda indecisive about all of this, since it involves more money.  Personally I don't think I would buy headphones past $350.  It seems too much after that, I dunno.  I'm thinking about some higher end AKGs.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 84
Quote:
Well, it's like, I want a better, wider soundstage, not cramped like the M50s.  The bass is good, but I want deeper, not louder.  I'm kinda indecisive about all of this, since it involves more money.  Personally I don't think I would buy headphones past $350.  It seems too much after that, I dunno.  I'm thinking about some higher end AKGs.

well im pretty sure that the DT770 has a significantly wider soundstage then the M50. the tonality im not too certain from what i remember from the audition i had, has a deeper bass and a more sparkly treble if i remember correctly. no idea about the akg's though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back