New here... any tips? ATH-M50s
Dec 31, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #31 of 84
Given your interest in the AKG, do look up the K-550 that streetdragon mentions.It's
a closed design but many people report it has a particularly good soundstage.

You might spend some time considering if you really want to move
to an open design, however.  

Also do you think you're being limited by your RAZR HD?  Have you 
tried plugging in your M50s and K240s into another source to
see if they sound quite different (or the same) with a different
player & amp circuit?  

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #32 of 84
Quote:
Given your interest in the AKG, do look up the K-550 that streetdragon mentions.It's
a closed design but many people report it has a particularly good soundstage.

You might spend some time considering if you really want to move
to an open design, however.  

Also do you think you're being limited by your RAZR HD?  Have you 
tried plugging in your M50s and K240s into another source to
see if they sound quite different (or the same) with a different
player & amp circuit?  

The K550's do look good, but I do want some open headphones.  I think I'm stumbling upon a new hobby... collecting headphones. haha.  I've tried both the K240s and M50s on my Sansa c200 (Rockbox with FLAC) and they sound slightly better, but equally better.  Of course, my sansa has a tiny screen and doesn't make a big enough difference to use over my RAZR HD. (EDIT: After comparing I realize the Sansa has issues and my RAZR HD sounds a lot better, the sansa has slight distortion to the sound and there are weird high pitched humms and processing noises in the background) With every source I use, both headphones maintain their quirks and flaws.  There may be some degree of difference, but the headphones don't magically sound a lot better.

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #33 of 84
Options that come to mind (notice this is based on what I've read, so take it with a grain of salt)

M100

DT770

DT990 for home use

I have some M80s, They tend to go on the warmer side, while retaining a really nice higher register, they are like warmish flat
A friend has some UE900s, they where a little too dark and lost a little too much detail for my taste, but the bass was great

Hope you find something good, and most important that you like.

Cheers,

Diego

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #34 of 84
If your budget is 250 and you want what you described, clean, deep bass, nice mids, and clean, smooth highs, get the sennheiser hd 380pro and a fiio e11 amp. 250 exactly, but it can be cheaper. I got my 380s from best buy brand new for 160 and my fiio e11 and and l9 lod from amazon for 60 dollars. The sennheisers aren't open, but they sound beautiful. And there's also a mod people do to senns that make them open by creating holes in the back, but I wouldn't do that. They sound perfect as is.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #36 of 84
Quote:
Seems like the cans that have attracted my attention so far are:

DT990 (Premium or pro?)
DT880 Premium
Q701/K702
HD598
K550

I'm getting the DT880s in the mail (hopefully soon). All sounds like good choices, but maybe the 701 and the DTs outperform the 598s, in that case I would try to get an used 600. But if you want bass, from what I've read, the 990s are your best option

Cheers,
Diego

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #37 of 84
The DT990s seem like what I want... but 32 ohm, 250 ohm, 600 ohm?  Premium?  What's the difference between all of these; I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to impedance ratings.

Also, the K550 is still seeming like a good option for me, but how's the bass and soundstage?

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #38 of 84
Premium & Pro is the same sound. Which version you should get (ohms) depends on whether you will get an amp or not. If not, get the 80 or 32

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #39 of 84
Impedance corresponds to resistance btw. (roughly :p)

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #41 of 84
Quote:
After reading more... I think I'm set on the k550. These seem really nice.

I had the K550s but ended up returning them because they didnt fit my head, kept falling off.  If you have a big head then you have nothing to worry about.  If you have a small head they will be difficult to wear and get sealed properly.  Just a warning because otherwise they sound fantastic.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #42 of 84
Quote:
The DT990s seem like what I want... but 32 ohm, 250 ohm, 600 ohm?  Premium?  What's the difference between all of these; I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to impedance ratings.

Also, the K550 is still seeming like a good option for me, but how's the bass and soundstage?

Depends, just like they said before, what are you driving them with. Usually they said the higher the impedance the smoother it sounds, some say all three models sound the same, I would say go with the 250 or 600, and get an amp. The 32 get a lot more mixed feelings
Quote:
After reading more... I think I'm set on the k550. These seem really nice.

While people usually say the k550 has a nice sound, a lot of people also have ended up returning them cause there seems to be a big issue with fit and getting a right seal

Cheers,

Diego

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #44 of 84
Quote:

Soundstage is amazing,,, for a closed headphone, but don't expect a stage at the level of the Senns HD 600/650/800. Bass is not boomy or bloated, bass is tight and nitide as long as you get a good sealing, if you don't get a good sealing bass is shy. Getting a good sealing with this headphone is not a question of head size (i've seen people with relatively small heads usign the AKG satisfactorily), getting a good sealing is a cuestion of having a bit of patiente positioning the capsules correctly. This headphone is no autoadjusting, you have tu adjust the angles of the capsules over your head and opening of the diademe manually. Once you position the headphone correctly it sounds terrific.

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #45 of 84
Quote:
Getting a good sealing with this headphone is not a question of head size (i've seen people with relatively small heads usign the AKG satisfactorily), getting a good sealing is a cuestion of having a bit of patiente positioning the capsules correctly. This headphone is no autoadjusting, you have tu adjust the angles of the capsules over your head and opening of the diademe manually. 

Thanks, drivers66 -- I don't think I had read that the fit might be effectively achieved through positioning.   I love my K-702s... and this observation makes me want to add to my AKG collection  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back