New headphones, or replace the D2000?
May 30, 2010 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DBrim

100+ Head-Fier
I had Denon D2000s, but the cable got damaged in a move and the ear-cup screw fell out.

So, I'd like new headphones under $250.  They'd be connected to a Head Direct EF1 amp, and I'd be getting a DAC later.  I enjoyed the sound signature of the D2000, but the impedance was a bit low with the EF1, since it has channel imbalance problems at low volumes on the amp.  If I could fix that, and have a preventative fix for the ear cup screw issue, I'd probably buy another pair.

Are there any other headphones in the same price range that have a similar sound signature but have a higher impedance and better durability?  Closed is a must, as I share a bedroom with my roommate.  I listen to rock, blues, and jazz.

Thanks.

May 30, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 9
BeyerDynamic DT770Pro (32 / 80 or 250 ohm version) might be right for you. Closed, good bass (too much for some), treble is not D2000 but still nice, durability is excellent, comfort is excellent.
A-T ATH M50 is a low price option, almost as good as DT770Pro with more forward mids, smaller soundstage.

May 30, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, I'd go with either the M50s or Beyer DT770/80s

May 30, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 9
I own both the D2000 and DT770/80. I also have the EF2 amp/dac. I feel that the D2000 and EF2 are a good match. The D2000 becomes more involving and everything improves across the board. Of course take that for what it's worth as it is my first amp/dac. I really haven't had time to form an opinion of the DT770 with the EF2 yet but so far it's not as good of a match and I do have some issues with it.

I mainly listen to trance and other bass heavy music and for the most part the DT770 does a pretty good job with that. It is only rarely that I feel the bass is overpowering with these genres. However looking at your music preferences I'd be careful with DT770 (maybe go try it out?). I also listen to a little symphonic metal, rock, jazz, and blues and my impressions with the DT770 with these genres is that they either work or they don't. Some songs actually sound pretty good but some songs such as Nightwish's "The End of All Hope" sounds horrid the bass destroys everything else in the song.

The DT770s are quite comfortable though but come in 2nd to the D2000s. I would also say they are very durable at least more so than the Denons.

Using loctite on the hinge might work. I've heard of some people doing it and not having problems. No idea about the amp though.

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 9
Okay, so would it be a good idea to sell the EF1 so I can get an EF2?  Better channel balance, so I can get a new pair of D2000s (since I like their sound and comfort), and I'd get a DAC, too?

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Sorry I'm a little confused. It's late so that may be it. Are you planning on buying a second pair of D2000 and a dac after selling your EF1?

I haven't heard the EF1 so I really can't give a comparison to the EF2. What kind of budget are you looking at?

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, I just realized that I'm not going to be in situations where closed cans are a requirement anymore.  So, I splurged.  A pair of HD650s are on their way.  Of course, now I *really* need to solve my DAC problem, but that'll have to wait for a bit until my wallet recovers.  Guess I'll be listening to a lot of vinyl in the meantime.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I had Denon D2000s, but the cable got damaged in a move and the ear-cup screw fell out.

So, I'd like new headphones under $250.  They'd be connected to a Head Direct EF1 amp, and I'd be getting a DAC later.  I enjoyed the sound signature of the D2000, but the impedance was a bit low with the EF1, since it has channel imbalance problems at low volumes on the amp.  If I could fix that, and have a preventative fix for the ear cup screw issue, I'd probably buy another pair.

Are there any other headphones in the same price range that have a similar sound signature but have a higher impedance and better durability?  Closed is a must, as I share a bedroom with my roommate.  I listen to rock, blues, and jazz.

Thanks.

I think the problem of channel imbalance is in the variable resistor, this is a quite common problem in many amps. If you can change the variable resistor by yourself, then it should be fine. But a very good variable resistor is also very expensive, so another way is to lower down the volume output of your source. If you use the computer as your source, just lower down the system volume. This will generate a little distortion in the sound, but very few. You can try it if you don't feel anything bad of lower down the source volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back