New headphones for a budding audiophile
May 21, 2010 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

vegas825

New Head-Fier
I am a little new to high end headphones but I am looking for a new pair of IEMs or full sized headphones. I already have a pair of V-Moda Vibes, which were my first pair besides Apple phones. I listen mainly to hip hop and house so I do like bass but mids and treble are also important. I don't really have a budget but I would Iike a pair that is definently worth the money. The MTP golds have caught my interest as well as the AT M50s. I have also researched the klipsch s4. I usually listen through my iPhone (no amp) or my computer, which has a decent sound card. Again I don't know much about headphones so I am open to any suggestions. Comfort and sound isolation will also be very important since I will be on a long flight next week and I study a lot. Thanks in advance for your input.

May 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 6
Of the phones you mentioned, I would choose the MTP Golds if you can find them at a discount, or buy them used. A friend of mine bought them and loves them, especially for your tastes. Another phone you might consider is the Fischer DBA-02s, which I own, and are about $170 shipped (you have to buy them on ebay or from a seller her on HF, whose name escapes me right now, but it's Ethan something). Check the DBA thread for more details, search for DBA-02 or LFF (the member who wrote the main review of those phones). I love the DBAs, but needed to use Ety tri-flange tips to get the best sound. Good luck.

Oops, just noticed you need them by next week. That leaves the Fischers out, since they are in short supply and high demand right now. In that case, get the Monster Golds.

May 23, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:

Oops, just noticed you need them by next week. That leaves the Fischers out, since they are in short supply and high demand right now. In that case, get the Monster Golds.

Not only that, he didn't notice that you said isolation was important and the review by ClieOS says they are below average in that department. Flavor of the month you know...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450407/multiple-iem-shootout-v-3
I would suggest looking at this thread to give you a good idea of what you might like: 

May 23, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 6

Here's a pretty substantial list of every high-end IEM you're likely to find here on Head-fi. Use the search tool to research them, each one most likely has their own thread.

Audio-Technica CK100
Audio-Technica CK10
Sennheiser IE8
*Shure SE530
Westone 3
Westone UM3X
Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10
*Klipsch Custom 3
Klipsch Image X10
*Sleek SA6
Jays Q-Jays
Ortofons EQ7
Monster Turbine Pro Gold
Monster Turbine Pro Copper
Monster Turbine Miles Davis
EarSonics SM3
JVC FX500
JVC FX700
*Jays Q-Jays
Pioneer ____ (Forgot what it's called)

*Updates coming soon.
[size=medium]Here's a pretty substantial list of every high-end IEM you're likely to find here on Head-fi. Use the search tool to research them, each one most likely has their own thread.[/size]

[size=medium]Audio-Technica CK100[/size]
[size=medium]Audio-Technica CK10[/size]
[size=medium]Sennheiser IE8[/size]
[size=medium]*Shure SE530[/size]
[size=medium]Westone 3[/size]
[size=medium]Westone UM3X[/size]
[size=medium]Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10[/size]
[size=medium]*Klipsch Custom 3[/size]
[size=medium]Klipsch Image X10[/size]
[size=medium]*Sleek SA6[/size]
[size=medium]Jays Q-Jays[/size]
[size=medium]Ortofons EQ7[/size]
[size=medium]Monster Turbine Pro Gold[/size]
[size=medium]Monster Turbine Pro Copper[/size]
[size=medium]Monster Turbine Miles Davis[/size]
[size=medium]EarSonics SM3[/size]
[size=medium]JVC FX500[/size]
[size=medium]JVC FX700[/size]
[size=medium]*Jays Q-Jays[/size]
[size=medium]Pioneer ____ (Forgot what it's called)[/size]

[size=medium]*Updates coming soon.[/size]

May 23, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Well, I've tried out the MTP Golds, with the white hybrid tips, and isolation is not an issue. It's excellent. As far as the FOTM thing, have you  heard the MTP Golds? I didn't think so. ClieOS is a knowledgeable guy, but his ratings are not etched in stone. For the OP's purposes, I think the MTP Golds would work. I own the DBA-02s, which ClieOS likes a lot, but I don't agree with his entire assessment. 

Quote:
Not only that, he didn't notice that you said isolation was important and the review by ClieOS says they are below average in that department. Flavor of the month you know...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450407/multiple-iem-shootout-v-3
I would suggest looking at this thread to give you a good idea of what you might like: 

May 24, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
 As far as the FOTM thing, have you  heard the MTP Golds? I didn't think so....

No...but then I was talking about your initally recommending the DBA-02's and the apparent need of the OP for better than average isolation which you missed in addition to his needing them soon....not the MTP Golds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back