1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New headphones for a budding audiophile

1. vegas825
    I am a little new to high end headphones but I am looking for a new pair of IEMs or full sized headphones. I already have a pair of V-Moda Vibes, which were my first pair besides Apple phones. I listen mainly to hip hop and house so I do like bass but mids and treble are also important. I don't really have a budget but I would Iike a pair that is definently worth the money. The MTP golds have caught my interest as well as the AT M50s. I have also researched the klipsch s4. I usually listen through my iPhone (no amp) or my computer, which has a decent sound card. Again I don't know much about headphones so I am open to any suggestions. Comfort and sound isolation will also be very important since I will be on a long flight next week and I study a lot. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. slaters70
    Of the phones you mentioned, I would choose the MTP Golds if you can find them at a discount, or buy them used. A friend of mine bought them and loves them, especially for your tastes. Another phone you might consider is the Fischer DBA-02s, which I own, and are about $170 shipped (you have to buy them on ebay or from a seller her on HF, whose name escapes me right now, but it's Ethan something). Check the DBA thread for more details, search for DBA-02 or LFF (the member who wrote the main review of those phones). I love the DBAs, but needed to use Ety tri-flange tips to get the best sound. Good luck.

Oops, just noticed you need them by next week. That leaves the Fischers out, since they are in short supply and high demand right now. In that case, get the Monster Golds.

3. Leavenfish

Quote:

Not only that, he didn't notice that you said isolation was important and the review by ClieOS says they are below average in that department. Flavor of the month you know...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450407/multiple-iem-shootout-v-3
    I would suggest looking at this thread to give you a good idea of what you might like: 

4. jjeremycai

Here's a pretty substantial list of every high-end IEM you're likely to find here on Head-fi. Use the search tool to research them, each one most likely has their own thread.

Audio-Technica CK100
    Audio-Technica CK10
    Sennheiser IE8
    *Shure SE530
    Westone 3
    Westone UM3X
    Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10
    *Klipsch Custom 3
    Klipsch Image X10
    *Sleek SA6
    Jays Q-Jays
    Ortofons EQ7
    Monster Turbine Pro Gold
    Monster Turbine Pro Copper
    Monster Turbine Miles Davis
    EarSonics SM3
    JVC FX500
    JVC FX700
    *Jays Q-Jays
    Pioneer ____ (Forgot what it's called)

*Updates coming soon.
    Here's a pretty substantial list of every high-end IEM you're likely to find here on Head-fi. Use the search tool to research them, each one most likely has their own thread.

Audio-Technica CK100
    Audio-Technica CK10
    Sennheiser IE8
    *Shure SE530
    Westone 3
    Westone UM3X
    Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10
    *Klipsch Custom 3
    Klipsch Image X10
    *Sleek SA6
    Jays Q-Jays
    Ortofons EQ7
    Monster Turbine Pro Gold
    Monster Turbine Pro Copper
    Monster Turbine Miles Davis
    EarSonics SM3
    JVC FX500
    JVC FX700
    *Jays Q-Jays
    Pioneer ____ (Forgot what it's called)

*Updates coming soon.

5. slaters70
    Well, I've tried out the MTP Golds, with the white hybrid tips, and isolation is not an issue. It's excellent. As far as the FOTM thing, have you  heard the MTP Golds? I didn't think so. ClieOS is a knowledgeable guy, but his ratings are not etched in stone. For the OP's purposes, I think the MTP Golds would work. I own the DBA-02s, which ClieOS likes a lot, but I don't agree with his entire assessment. 

Quote:

6. Leavenfish

Quote:

No...but then I was talking about your initally recommending the DBA-02's and the apparent need of the OP for better than average isolation which you missed in addition to his needing them soon....not the MTP Golds.