new headphones, advice on a couple different things
Oct 23, 2010 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

joemort

New Head-Fier
so i'm relatively new to hi-fi audio, especially headphones. I've been reading up on different stuff on all my free time to try to become semi-informed. I'm currently looking at getting the senn hd650 because I have heard great things about it and I actually really like the style of how it looks. I have heard the difference before from a friend between the crap $5 radioshack headphones and some quality ones (his were like $150), and was amazed by the clarity and being able to hear things that were previously masked by the bass line in my bad phones. I realize that I will need an amplifier for this headset, and plan to get one, but I just want to know if it will still be a significant improvement over the $5 ones even before I get the amp. Will I require the amp before I can hear any difference, or will I still be (somewhat) satisfied that I have an improvement before the amp? I fully realize these phones will need the amp to sound great, but will it at least be a good level above the crap phones?

Secondly, while I like the style of the senns, I am not a huge fan of the paint job, as well as the paint chipping issue. Within this, first, would painting the grill and such different colors affect the sound quality of the phones? i'm looking at gloss black with gloss red grills, and I DO OWN and know how to use a high end air-brush for this. Will I just need to make sure I carefully mask off the entire inner driver sections, as well as remove the grill, and I'll be safe?

Secondly, while I wasn't able to search too in-depth for the solution of the paint chipping, all I found mostly was threads stating that they had it, then people giving ideas and then no final confirmation that it worked... does anyone know what does actually fix it?

EDIT: Btw, the amp I am looking at is the Schiit Asgard. I've heard great things about them, and like that I'm buying from US with (allegedly) mostly US parts, as well as the price is good for me. I'm currently looking for a good DAC to match with it for similar price. suggestions?
smile.gif

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 3
Easily, you'll be able to hear the difference but the HD-650's won't come alive until a "decent" amp is added to the chain.

suggestions?

I picked up off the Buy/Sell forum a Burson HA-160 and an April Music Stello DA100 Signature.  There's a HA-160 on the Buy/Sell forum as I write.

Hope the above helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back