New headphone to replace HD 555?
Jun 17, 2010 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Aizura

500+ Head-Fier
Hi fellow Head-Fiers,

I'm currently using an HD 555, which isn't that bad at all, but i'm looking for a headphone which can deliver a much better sound quality.

I'm considering the SRH840, which is according to the reviews quite a bit better then the HD 555.
The biggest advantage for me is the fact that they're closed, so i can use them in the train or bus.

I'm not sure if the difference in SQ will be big enough though, so i'm also considering the HD 600 as an upgrade.

My question to you guys is, how's the difference in SQ between the HD 600 and the SRH840?
If the difference is big, i might skip the SRH840 and go straight for the HD 600.

My source will be an Essence STX.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 17
The STX will not be good enough for hard to drive phones so I wouldn't suggest the HD600 or HD650 unless you plan on adding a dedicated headphone amp later on.  SRH840 may or may not be better but you might find that you enjoy its sound signature more either way. That was the case with the SRH440 with me but then again I didn't really like the HD555. Personally id get the DT250-80 if I were getting a closed headphone in the pricerange of the SRH840. If you decide to get open, the MS-1, DT440, and AD700 all sound better imo but once again its more of a difference in sound sigature than anything. For much better sound quality your looking at something like the AD900, DT880, K701, etc. but only the AD900 is easy to drive.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 17
So you think the HD 600 won't give me a better sound quality compared to an SRH840 out of my Essence STX?
I might buy a dedicated amp later on, but not in the near future.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 17
The SRH840 will be driven more close to its full potential off the soundcard than the HD600s would be.

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 17
I'm sure a $1000 amp will drive the HD 600 better then my Essence STX. But even with my sound card, will the HD 600 outperform the SRH840? I've seen people saying the HD 600 sounds pretty decent even when unamped?

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 17
Actually, i've done that already :)

But tbh the sound didn't improve that much, if at all. If the mod really makes it sound like a 595 i think the 595 is a rip off and everyone that considerates the 595 should save some cash and just go for the 555's

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #8 of 17
You would not imagine it, but doing just a few mods to the HD555 lifts it to an entirely new class of headphone. I have mine on right now and enjoy them as much as I do my DT880s, perhaps more than my m50s, although, obviously, they are so open now that m50s and these are apples and oranges. These things blast out sound for everyone else to hear, and the m50s when you let the pads press together go silent at ear shredding levels.

I really like the idea of an open Audio Technica like the AD700 (I think that is the open one, or maybe Ah-D700, don't remember, just know they are killer value for an open set of cans.)

But the mods aren't hard and don't forget to mass load the back of the drivers (be careful and be sure to never cover the hole in the center, or let anything fall in, I am sure you would ruin the driver that way). I used blu-tack, but some use dynamat, basically anything that can be cut or pressed to fit that evenly adds mass, because after the mod, the driver is practically floating. The 555 uses click locks on all it's stuff that doesn't use screws to hold down or in, This means, you end up with something very very close to the HD600 if you do it right, but can be powered on almost anything, and comfortable as one would expect the 555/595 to be. I think they are more comfey than my Beyers, but not by much. I have no preference, but the fact that I can use the DT880s as a reference point gives you an idea of how much these headphones change after the mod. It is instantly a new set of headphones that can hang with some big names. Frankly, I am really enjoying them. I had them in the closet for a couple years beacuse I felt they were boring. I finally got around to picking them apart and modding them since my Grados pissed me off, I wanted another project. I bought these almost ten years ago, and only now are they really making me re-think the sennheiser brand.

You already have them, so why not try, right?

If you need closed cans, there are a couple nice ones from AT, Beyer, and Shure, but I find the 440/840s to be harsh... way too harsh to be musical. My 440s are strictly for monitoring since they are lifeless ear shredders that give you everything, the good and the bad. They are built like a tank though. I just don't think they would do well on a portable. I have a hard enough time preserving my hearing using a proper amp as they just are so.... cold, not dark, mind you, just clinical, lacking character, and not making music very fun to listen to. Like I said, good monitoring phones, bad kick back and relax music phones.

I have been able to acheive very nice sound out of my sansa fuse from these phones I own: the HD555s modded that I speak so highly of (they also sound good amped, so they scale now, they didn't before, open phones that can move this much air... only a few can do it right.), The *real* Koss Porta Pro, there is a best buy version that uses a jankier driver, so look for the chrome on both sides; Audio Technica M50s, these guys have been universally praised here, so I need not to say much about them that has not already been said. They are one of the best closed back cans you can buy for 150 and under, possibly even more than, depending on what you like about them. Sony XB700s. A Guilty pleasure that also performs. These look like almost a joke, but no joke, the massive drivers can serve up a rather well balanced sound, extremely efficiently, with great isolation, and well controlled bass down to well below 20hz. The bass is there because they can do it. They don't make it a point to overdo it. They just provide what is being given. Most phones can't go that low so they are odd at first, but you will notice the smooth HF and holographic midrange. They are a good portable player set because they are so efficient. They are more than any other headphone I have. The massive driver membrane and the ear cavety from the huge pads creates this environment where you can enjoy techno as it was meant to be heard, from dance to IDM to electropop, but I find well recorded jazz and rock records sound amazing on them simply because they have the slam other phones lack from a portable. I generally keep the sansa in the bag for the xb700s. they just go together so well. I leave most of my other phones for work or home systems. I have tried my DT770s and 880s on the sansa. It wasn't bad on the 770s, but it wasn't anything to write home about, and the DT880s just were out of it's league.

A couple of AKG phones never worked on a portable either.

Mod your 555s or try the AD700s, I am thinking of buying a set, since I have decent closed back ATs, I want to hear their open sound.

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 17
So what are the mods? besides removing the foam on the grilles which i have done.

I just want the best sound quality out of my Essence STX.

I think the HD600 can give me that, but if you guys tell me that the SRH840 is just as good out of this sound card (cuz it needs less juice), I'd rather buy the SRH840 because i could also use it as a portable at times.

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Hi fellow Head-Fiers,

I'm currently using an HD 555, which isn't that bad at all, but i'm looking for a headphone which can deliver a much better sound quality.

I'm considering the SRH840, which is according to the reviews quite a bit better then the HD 555.
The biggest advantage for me is the fact that they're closed, so i can use them in the train or bus.

I'm not sure if the difference in SQ will be big enough though, so i'm also considering the HD 600 as an upgrade.

My question to you guys is, how's the difference in SQ between the HD 600 and the SRH840?
If the difference is big, i might skip the SRH840 and go straight for the HD 600.

My source will be an Essence STX.

Okay here we go. I have no idea why people are recommending you AD700s, especially since you want a headphone that can deliver "much better sound quality.  The AD700s would just give you a different type of sound, and you may (as I did), find the AD700 as a downgrade from the HD555.  Now more on topic, regarding the HD600s, they are in an entirely different league than the HD555 and HD595.  You can not replicate the improved bass, amazing details, much more open soundstage that the HD600s have by modding an HD555 or HD595.  I highly recommend the HD600s if you can spare the money.

Oh and the HD600s sound just fine out of a decent soundcard.  They are not "hard to drive" as some people say.

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
So what are the mods? besides removing the foam on the grilles which i have done.

I just want the best sound quality out of my Essence STX.

I think the HD600 can give me that, but if you guys tell me that the SRH840 is just as good out of this sound card (cuz it needs less juice), I'd rather buy the SRH840 because i could also use it as a portable at times.

Keep in mind that just because a headphone needs more power doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better. It just means it needs more power.  The STX is a great soundcard and the built in amp is great for easier to drive phones. Match it with the right headphphones and you may find that you don't even need to upgrade down the line. Something like the DT440, AD900, MS-2, or MS-Pro (or DT250-80 if you want closed) should pair well with it.

Hear is a post from Marcus at headphonic:

"I haven't found that the MSPro scales "worse", you just reach its potential a lot easier
smile.gif

For example, I've never found myself thinking the DT880 or K701 sound much better than the MSPro, even with a high end amp setup, just different.
The difference is, it's much easier to plug the 880/K701 into something and think "meh" than it is to do the same with the MSPro.

Arbitrary numbers time:

MSPro from a "reasonable" PC setup (eg: Asus STX card or similar) scores, say, 7/10 for the MSpros full capabilities, K701 scores 4/10. Add a $600 amp and the MSPro scores 9/10, the K701 scores 7/10. Ad a $1000 amp and they both score 10/10.
(remember, these are just numbers I'm pulling out of the air) So in a nutshell it's just easier (and much cheaper) to hear what the MSPro is capable of."

Keep in mind those are Austrailian prices for the amps.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:

Okay here we go. I have no idea why people are recommending you AD700s, especially since you want a headphone that can deliver "much better sound quality.  The AD700s would just give you a different type of sound, and you may (as I did), find the AD700 as a downgrade from the HD555.  Now more on topic, regarding the HD600s, they are in an entirely different league than the HD555 and HD595.  You can not replicate the improved bass, amazing details, much more open soundstage that the HD600s have by modding an HD555 or HD595.  I highly recommend the HD600s if you can spare the money.

Oh and the HD600s sound just fine out of a decent soundcard.  They are not "hard to drive" as some people say.

co-sign. I have paired my HD600's with my ht omega sound card and it sounds pretty bad ass, but I moved on to the D5000's because I wanted moaaaar bass.

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Keep in mind that just because a headphone needs more power doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better. It just means it needs more power.  The STX is a great soundcard and the built in amp is great for easier to drive phones. Match it with the right headphphones and you may find that you don't even need to upgrade down the line. Something like the DT440, AD900, MS-2, or MS-Pro (or DT250-80 if you want closed) should pair well with it.

Hear is a post from Marcus at headphonic:

"I haven't found that the MSPro scales "worse", you just reach its potential a lot easier
smile.gif

For example, I've never found myself thinking the DT880 or K701 sound much better than the MSPro, even with a high end amp setup, just different.
The difference is, it's much easier to plug the 880/K701 into something and think "meh" than it is to do the same with the MSPro.

Arbitrary numbers time:

MSPro from a "reasonable" PC setup (eg: Asus STX card or similar) scores, say, 7/10 for the MSpros full capabilities, K701 scores 4/10. Add a $600 amp and the MSPro scores 9/10, the K701 scores 7/10. Ad a $1000 amp and they both score 10/10.
(remember, these are just numbers I'm pulling out of the air) So in a nutshell it's just easier (and much cheaper) to hear what the MSPro is capable of."

Keep in mind those are Austrailian prices for the amps.

And Marcus definitely knows what he's talking about :)

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #15 of 17
Well, i have to say the Essence STX on high gain can drive the HD 600 just fine. It sounds a lot better then my HD 555's although i do have the feeling they are a little bit underpowered and can do better, but i'm very satisfied with the sound I'm getting right now
L3000.gif

Now for an HD 650 cable, and maybe a better amp in the future. I guess it never ends lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back