New Headphone Stand
Apr 7, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #331 of 546
The Lowe's item # for this Rubbermaid product is 241418, if you want to go to www.Lowes.com to order them instead of playing hit or miss at the stores...

May 2, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #332 of 546

Got this for $3 at the secondhand store hehe

May 2, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #333 of 546
I got the same exact thing from lowes not too long ago 
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #334 of 546
Just finished mine :) Ikea parts with a nice piece of wood for the base :)

May 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #337 of 546
Just noticed how much this idea took off.  Thanks to the OP for posting this!  It turned out to be an excellent idea!

Also, I didn't see anyone else post about doing what I did to mine.  Just posted this elsewhere, but figured I'd post here as well:

Went over to Home Depot and snagged one for $7.  I took some copper pipe foam insulation and stretched it over the top.  The front of the bracket has two tabs that hold it in place quite nicely.

The foam fits the curvature of a headphone band very well and distributes pressure fairly evenly.  A rubber coating covers the metal parts to avoid any scratching.  It's also plenty sturdy as I can push it back to a decent angle and it falls forward again.

Sure I'd like a Sieveking Omega, but at roughly $7 compared to $140, I'm a happy camper.  I was even thinking of putting my sewing skills to the test and attempting to DIY a fabric cover for the upper portion to make it look more "finished."

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #338 of 546
I just went to Home Hardware here in Canada, as the DAY after I read this they showed up in their flyer. Had to get them ordered in @ $18.99 a piece ( next week pickup ) but it's worth it for my desk here, and if I give some phones away ever I can give them a stand. Just had to try them after looking at this thread.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #339 of 546
I had posted this in the DIY headphone stand thread a while back, but I figured I'd add it here too.  Its something I made with company scrap aluminum, and then I added a pearlescent finish to it after machining the parts.  I still need to add proper feet and soft foam around the shaft though.  I don't need the foam with my HD650's because they have a gap in the padding right in the middle, which is really nice (both for comfort and storage).  Here it is with my old M50's.

I designed an improvement to this stand a few days ago, and one I plan to anodize blue as well:

The improved design uses a countersunk 1/4-20 bolt so I won't need feet.  Also, the 1/8 spring pins are located on the bottom like the Gen I, but then I moved the top one to the top of the shaft instead of on the side.  I think if I ever build it and anodize it, it'll look sharp!

To the OP:  Great idea!  I'll try and pick one up soon too.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #340 of 546
Glad I found this thread! I went to Lowes and saw the Rubbermaid hook from post 1. I also saw another hook that was 1/2" taller (I put them side by side and used a tape measure to check) that I wound up getting. Here's the product link http://www.lowes.com/pd_164666-46-GAWEXXDHSH_0__?productId=3015022&Ntt=gladiator+deep+hook&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dgladiator%2Bdeep%2Bhook&facetInfo=

It is a Gladiator Deep Hook Item #: 164666 Model #:GAWEXXDHSH and is $13.46.

There was only one left. Mine was clearly returned and is missing the "tray" at the top. The only negative is the top where the headphones rest has a couple rough spots on the metal (the only area of the hook that isn't rubberized). I'd assume if you find one with the tray still attached, the rough spots won't be an issue. The tray may even help hold the band better. It's very stable with the headphones on the hook and doesn't try to topple over. It was important to me that the stand be tall so that the cord wasn't bent by the desk. Here's my pics.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #341 of 546
Just picked mine up and added a bit of the pipe insulation foam. I have to say that these look better in person! Well worth the purchase. Thanks again for the heads up on these

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #342 of 546
i have one of the hose hook rubbermaid deals and one banana hook.  the banana hooks bad part is the its such a small hook it digs into my beyers headband so i put a wine cork over it.  the rubbermaid things only downside is its about an inch too short.  my shures and other bigger headphones the cable will drag.  but im just nitpicking

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #343 of 546

Quote:
i have one of the hose hook rubbermaid deals and one banana hook.  the banana hooks bad part is the its such a small hook it digs into my beyers headband so i put a wine cork over it.  the rubbermaid things only downside is its about an inch too short.  my shures and other bigger headphones the cable will drag.  but im just nitpicking

You can add to the effective height of the Rubbermaid stand using some open-cell foam and a 2" PVC pipe coupler. It rounds out the headband-stand interface so it doesn't kink anything. I should have posted example pictures a couple pages back.
cool.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #344 of 546
How about one of these? It takes up 0 room on your desk!

http://www.organizeit.com/interdesign-wall-mounted-coat-rack-bamboo.asp#

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #345 of 546
This is even better!

http://www.organizeit.com/meridian-wall-mount-twin-hook-rack-espresso.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back