New Headphone Stand
Dec 18, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #197 of 546
The price is good and it's fun to repurpose something that wasn't designed to be a headphone stand.  But no, it is not as good as a purposely designed headphone stand.  It has no cable management.  Where do you wrap or store the headphone cable when storing the headphones on the stand?  The stand is not tall enough for all headphones.  The stand is not that stable.  It is stable enough when the headphones are on it, but once you take the headphones off it is less stable and can fall over backwards.  I've knocked the thing over backwards several times when the stand is empty.  It's not a big deal for me cause there is nothing fragile behind the stand so if it falls over it doesn't hurt anything.  But if the stand was near or above something that could get damaged if the stand fell on it then that would be different.

It's a neat stand.  I like it.  It's not perfect but it works well enough for me.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #198 of 546
It is rare to find an actual headphone stand with cable management. Stax, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Headphile,...the list goes on of companies who make stands without cable management. I just coil my cord around the base. But the rest of your post is accurate. I haven't really seen any other stand that I would want.

Quote:
The price is good and it's fun to repurpose something that wasn't designed to be a headphone stand.  But no, it is not as good as a purposely designed headphone stand.  It has no cable management.  Where do you wrap or store the headphone cable when storing the headphones on the stand?  The stand is not tall enough for all headphones.  The stand is not that stable.  It is stable enough when the headphones are on it, but once you take the headphones off it is less stable and can fall over backwards.  I've knocked the thing over backwards several times when the stand is empty.  It's not a big deal for me cause there is nothing fragile behind the stand so if it falls over it doesn't hurt anything.  But if the stand was near or above something that could get damaged if the stand fell on it then that would be different.

It's a neat stand.  I like it.  It's not perfect but it works well enough for me.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #199 of 546
My cable management is a CD stacker. I wrap my cable once or twice around, then into a device. I think the only cable management systems are custom built. I haven't seen anything of the sort that involved more than wrapping the cable around the base. And my stand has its back to a wall, so I'm pretty happy with it. It has never tipped over once.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #201 of 546
Thanks, Was scouring the supermarket here for similar one, to no avail.
Will perhaps need to have someone send this over.
Thanks

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #202 of 546
To people discussing cable management - I highly recommend you learn the over-under technique. It's great for keeping the half twist in cables, is neat and doesn't put the cable under tension like wrapping

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #203 of 546
That's kinda creepy.  

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #205 of 546
Dec 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #206 of 546
Quote:
It is rare to find an actual headphone stand with cable management. Stax, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Headphile,...the list goes on of companies who make stands without cable management. I just coil my cord around the base. But the rest of your post is accurate. I haven't really seen any other stand that I would want.

My post came out more negative than I intended.  I must have been in a negative mood at the time (maybe due to the music I was listening to?).

It's a cool stand and actually looks good for a hose hook.  :)

It's strange that so few purpose built headphone stands have cable management.  Even just an extra hook on the stand to loop the cable around.  I've been looking at my Rubbermaid Hose Hook Headphone Stand trying to come up with a clean and convenient way of adding an extra hook to the front to hang/loop the cable on.  Brainstorming hasn't come up with a suitable idea yet.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #207 of 546

Quote:

My post came out more negative than I intended.  I must have been in a negative mood at the time (maybe due to the music I was listening to?).

It's a cool stand and actually looks good for a hose hook.  :)

It's strange that so few purpose built headphone stands have cable management.  Even just an extra hook on the stand to loop the cable around.  I've been looking at my Rubbermaid Hose Hook Headphone Stand trying to come up with a clean and convenient way of adding an extra hook to the front to hang/loop the cable on.  Brainstorming hasn't come up with a suitable idea yet.

I don't think there's any good solution at all to cable management. The only thing I can think of is something similar to the hose things with the winder, but it will stress the cable out way too much. I think the best would be Lian-Li's power supply cable management system on one of their cases, and let the rest droop behind the desk and into a device.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #209 of 546

Quote:
This is a hook from another storage system at home depot. http://goo.gl/VmNIq

My brainstorming has been similar ideas but hanging the hook from the front screw hole rather than the back screw hole.  I just haven't found the right kind of hook yet that wouldn't need some custom fabricating.  I don't want to hang extra weight on the back of the stand cause it already wants to fall backwards.

It's not all that critical for me.  I'm too lazy and sloppy to do real cable management even if there is a convenient hook.  I do minimal cable management.  Just enough to keep the cables somewhat out of the way around my desk (headphone listening enclave).  But there's always a time and method to start.

I do find a particular bit of humor when hanging my SR325is on the Rubbermaid Hose Hook because I consider the fat Grado cable to be a hose itself.  :)

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #210 of 546
I did some tip testing and with the hook I am using it doesn't make it any more prone to tipping. You could just coil the cord and put it on top of the stand before placing the headphones. That works just as good, actually even better, because it keeps the phones pushed toward the front which made it more stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back