New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Aug 23, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,831 of 2,450
  Hmmmm...had a few amps in my time.

Using the BHA1 with a TH-900 (fantastic) as well as the HD-800 (fantastic).

Not sure where the idea that "it doesn't have enough juice" is stemming from.

Folks above were speaking of using it with the HE-6, which still seems to generate mixed opinion. I know I plugged in HD-800's and was disappointed with how the single-ended output was. With the LCD2.2 it has plenty of juice but they're easy to drive if you have a bit of current.

Part of the "not enough juice" thing may come from the SE output being half the power, or perhaps the rather strange volume pot non-logarithmic (can't say non-linear) response. Not really sure they should have gone that route.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #1,832 of 2,450
Agreed it may not have the oomph that the HE-6 requires.

Balanced is def the way to go with the BHA-1 at least with higher imp cans.

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,834 of 2,450
  I tried the HE-6 with my BHA-1 in SE, they play good, but not like flagship headphone. 

As has been said, you really have to go balanced for this setup to work well.

IMHO, the BHA-1 is okay SE, but not outstanding.

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,835 of 2,450
I wonder if Bryston will ever do a BHA-2? Having a remote would be nice. There would have to be some major technical improvement, however, before they do a second BHA.

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,837 of 2,450
Mine were SE. Balanced would have been much better.

I should be able to report in with the HD-650 & HD-800 balanced late next week. If anything like the 2.2c experience I'm in for a treat :)

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #1,838 of 2,450

I think DDDamian hit the nail on the head by mentioning the non-logarithmic volume pot. There is basically little to no gain between 10 am - 3 pm, giving the impression of lack of power.
If the BHA-1 used a volume pot without this characteristic, there would be plenty of drive on the SE output even with 600 ohm T1s without needing to go past 12:00.
On the upside I hear no distortion at all even at full power.

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,840 of 2,450
I think DDDamian hit the nail on the head by mentioning the non-logarithmic volume pot. There is basically little to no gain between 10 am - 3 pm, giving the impression of lack of power.
If the BHA-1 used a volume pot without this characteristic, there would be plenty of drive on the SE output even with 600 ohm T1s without needing to go past 12:00.
On the upside I hear no distortion at all even at full power.

The problem though is once you go past 3 o'clock it literally JUMPS in gain and is way too loud. That is one of the only complaints I have about the BHA-1.

It is a bit of an issue with the cans that need more oomph, especially if the source is not recorded on the hot side. Fairly small complaint, just odd why they did it this way when no-one else does. Agreed there's no distortion up near the top and that's a rare thing. For someone demo'ing one it would make them think the power isn't there.

I don't think this is a bright amp like many have said - to me it's quite neutral. And I have, let's see, 19 years more warranty to love it for lol.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,841 of 2,450
  Actually, I really wanted the HE6's but, sadly I learned that the BHA-1 just doesn't have the juice to drive them to their potential.

Then for the same form factor, get the 2B instead and go straight into the speaker taps. Or get two used (still cheaper than a BHA-1) and bridge dual mono
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #1,842 of 2,450
^^^^
I like the BHA-1 so I'd have to have two separate setups.  It's possible but, perhaps at sometime in the future.
Though, I do still have my NuForce HA-200...so I'd only need one more of those...  :D

Quote:

Agreed. 

Balanced is the only way to go with this amp.

Mike

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,844 of 2,450
^^^^
I like the BHA-1 so I'd have to have two separate setups.  It's possible but, perhaps at sometime in the future.
Though, I do still have my NuForce HA-200...so I'd only need one more of those...  :D

Get a second HA-200 and feed them from the BHA-1 preamp
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #1,845 of 2,450
Just enjoying a session with the LCD2.2c driven by the Bryston BHA-1 tonight. Still ever impressed by just how natural and dynamic the sound of these cans are. Doesn't matter which amp I plug into, it's always a great sound, but the BHA-1 is really a great pairing with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back