smily_headphones1.gif
evil_smiley.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,278 of 2,442
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104028.700

Thought I’d give some more listening impressions but with the Grado SR325i’s unbalanced stepping up to the bat.

Sitting down with Einsturzende Neubauten double disc “Strategies Against Architecture IV” this evening I was bombarded with a vast array of arrangements and percussive instrumentation but what I noticed more than I have before was that the phones themselves were conspicuous by their absence.
As I mentioned before the BHA-1 appears to bring out the best in each head-set, the Grados this time doing the disappearing act, the recording existing within and around my head but my attention was never drawn to the phones themselves, much akin to having a system where loudspeakers disappear in the room. I then tried the AKG and Senns but with their larger casings (micro vibrations?) it was not as convincing but the BHA-1 still pulled this off more than I can remember with other head-amps.

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,279 of 2,442
  Thought I’d give some more listening impressions but with the Grado SR325i’s unbalanced stepping up to the bat.

Sitting down with Einsturzende Neubauten double disc “Strategies Against Architecture IV” this evening I was bombarded with a vast array of arrangements and percussive instrumentation but what I noticed more than I have before was that the phones themselves were conspicuous by their absence.
As I mentioned before the BHA-1 appears to bring out the best in each head-set, the Grados this time doing the disappearing act, the recording existing within and around my head but my attention was never drawn to the phones themselves, much akin to having a system where loudspeakers disappear in the room. I then tried the AKG and Senns but with their larger casings (micro vibrations?) it was not as convincing but the BHA-1 still pulled this off more than I can remember with other head-amps.

I used to own 325i. Found it way too bright for my ears, even on BHA-1. Now I'm up to LCD-2, T1, and HD-650. I think what you're really hearing is the quality of your source, mostly, not entirely, as you point out. Just an opinion. If your source is great, then your cans become less of a limiting factor in getting the desired SQ. But yes, BHA-1 will reveal all the strengths and weaknesses of most cans. I love it. Forces me to use well-recorded tracks and a great source, like BCD-1/BDP-1 or any one of hundreds of players out there. It's a chameleon, like so much of Bryston's gear. Takes on the character of whatever is upstream.  

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #1,280 of 2,442

I used to own 325i. Found it way too bright for my ears, even on BHA-1........................
like BCD-1/BDP-1 or any one of hundreds of players out there. It's a chameleon, like so much of Bryston's gear. Takes on the character of whatever is upstream.  

Interesting enough is that I noticed that there is more inherent grain in the higher frequencies with the Grados, which I did not notice before in comparison with the AKGs and Senns.
The K701s are extremely clean/grain free on the BHA-1, as for brightness it's one of the benefits of an aging audiophile.....we can't hear above 12,000 Hz
redface.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #1,282 of 2,442
  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104028.700

May I remark on the excellent album used for your impressions. Haven't heard it in years but it is a classic of industrial music. As in aside I saw Einsturzende a few times back in the 80's/early 90's. Great band.

And back to the thread point, getting my BHA-1 today. I have the Schiit Mjolnir that is being sent back, but impressions are fresh enough that I hope to have a couple of comments on the two.

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #1,283 of 2,442

............ Now I'm up to LCD-2, T1, and HD-650. .........................................

I’m making a short list for some new X-mas phones, LCD-2 being one along with the Hifiman HE-500s or Senn HD700/HD800s, problem is actually getting to audition them. I heard the HD-800 when they first came out but the others would a leap of faith.
The AKG K712 might be an interim contender or wait until the availability of the AKG K812s before making a decision.

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #1,284 of 2,442
Excellent. You will love your BHA-1. Some reading in the meantime...
https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/bryston/bha-1-headphone-amp
Enjpy!

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,285 of 2,442
Rob80b:
Not familiar with AKGs. Love my 650, but seriously doubt whether the 800 is really worth the extra outlay. It's certainly better than 650 for soundtstaging and other SQ attributes. But I've read the 800 tends to be more "clinical", and less musical than other cans like LCD-2.  Try to audition the LCD-2. It is well worth the investment of time. I heard the LCD-3, and I just could not hear any SUBSTANTIAL difference from LCD-2 that would justify $1000 extra. That's hi-end audio. Law of diminishing returns.
https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/buying-gear
Have fun!

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #1,286 of 2,442

May I remark on the excellent album used for your impressions. Haven't heard it in years but it is a classic of industrial music. As in aside I saw Einsturzende a few times back in the 80's/early 90's. Great band.

And back to the thread point, getting my BHA-1 today. I have the Schiit Mjolnir that is being sent back, but impressions are fresh enough that I hope to have a couple of comments on the two.

Hi Carlsan

Haven’t heard the Schiit Mjolnir, but from what I gather from reading its an excellent amp but the general consensus appears to say if you have the budget the BHA-1 is the one to get.

Strategies Against Architecture IV was a lot of fun to listen to; I’m a great aficionado of organized sound having been deeply involved as a composer/performer in Electro/Acoustic music in the 70s/80s/90s.
https://myspace.com/151752802/video/environmental-disorder-1983-/63366618

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #1,287 of 2,442
  Rob80b:
Not familiar with AKGs. ..........

Again from what I’ve been reading, the AKG K712s may reside in between HD650s and the HD800s as they have been noted as having a bit more bass than the HD650 which says a lot if true, but is it at the detriment of the highs/midrange and staging, I really to need to hear them first.
But the BHA-1 has IMHO pulled out all the stops and listening to Underworld’s album “Dark and Long” or the new OMD’s “English Electric” makes my K701’s bass "almost" more than satisfying.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #1,288 of 2,442
I agree with the maestro on the LCD-2. They really are a magical combo with the BHA-1. But....you have to give them some time as they are not what you're used to. They are so natural and textural...they're really good phones. Also don't be afraid to pour some power to them they really can sing or rock out when you feed them. The BHA-1/LCD-2 is an excellent combo with near perfect synergy...IMO :D

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,289 of 2,442
Just picked up a Bryston .4 Preamp to be used as a possible alternative switching device for the BHA-1, not too sure though as the .4 does show its age sound wise, this one’s from 1992.

In the interim, I thought it would of interest to hear the comparisons using my current 2BLP pro’s headphone out as the amplification using the BHA-1 (balanced) and the 20 year old .4 (unbalanced with properly wired RCA to XLR cables) as preamps.

Current 2BLP pro

The BHA-1 IMHO as a preamp it is extremely clean/clear so that one hears every little detail with excellent control on the input signal and depth/staging is very well defined because of this.
All my phones sounded excellent using the BHA-1, either standalone or as a pre for the 2BLP pro (I was expecting some aural differences do to the series resistors to accommodate the headphone out on the 2B but is was very clean), each easily revealing their individual characteristics. The major differences would be the noise floor of the 2BLP (it is a 60 watt amp at 8 ohms), but for hard to drive phones it was not a concern, I’m sure with buds or much more efficient phones noise could be more noticeable.

Listening using the vintage .4 (taking in consideration aging components) is a lot less revealing, bass is more predominant but produces interestingly enough a warmer presentation (higher noise floor?), which may be preferred by some.
Because of the enhanced bass using the .4 the bass shy AKG K501’s take on a new character, producing a full-mellowed sound, which can be quite alluring and seductive.

But overall the BHA-1 with the 2BLP pro is very detailed, highs were clear and extended without harshness, staging and layering is well conveyed and the bass is well controlled and all the phones were well managed.
The .4 / 2BLP combo was much warmer, depth was much less obvious but the stage width appeared wider and because the highs were less extended, bass was much more predominant and loose adding to the overall warmth, midrange and vocals coming across richer but not as detailed.

Why use the 2BLP at all?  In extreme cases, and I do mean extreme, the “amp section” of the BHA-1 I find will distort much sooner than the 2BLP headphone out, I guess you could call it the 28B of headphone amps. But like all things keep the volume within in reason or one would quickly become deaf, fry the headphones or both.
confused_face(1).gif

It’s fun to try out numerous combinations, part of the hobby, for now I'll probably leave the .4 out of the chain.

Obviously I prefer the BHA-1 but if needed, the 2BLP pro (with a lot more reserve) in combination with the BHA-1’s pre outputs can augment my headphone set-up for those low output non-balanced sources or just for additional headphones.
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,290 of 2,442
  Just picked up a Bryston .4 Preamp to be used as a possible alternative switching device for the BHA-1, not too sure though as the .4 does show its age sound wise, this one’s from 1992..............

Listening using the vintage .4 (taking in consideration aging components) is a lot less revealing, bass is more predominant but produces interestingly enough a warmer presentation (higher noise floor?), which may be preferred by some.
Because of the enhanced bass using the .4 the bass shy AKG K501’s take on a new character, producing a full-mellowed sound, which can be quite alluring and seductive.

But overall the BHA-1 with the 2BLP pro is very detailed, highs were clear and extended without harshness, staging and layering is well conveyed and the bass is well controlled and all the phones were well managed.
The .4 / 2BLP combo was much warmer, depth was much less obvious but the stage width appeared wider and because the highs were less extended, bass was much more predominant and loose adding to the overall warmth, midrange and vocals coming across richer but not as detailed.

Well I have to confess that after letting the . 4 warm up for a day or so (not sure how long it was left unused, could be years for all I know
confused.gif
), the Bryston .4 and 2BBLP combo have come much closer to the BHA-1 and/or the BHA-1 as pre for the 2BLP pro.
Which actually says a lot for a piece of Bryston gear 20 years old as their approach has always been to produce gear that as neutral as possible, mind you although the sonic signature is the same there is some residual noise with the .4 if the volume on the .4 and 2BLP pro are maxed to 100%, 50% or less would be used for loud monitoring with inefficient phones which makes any noises completely inaudible at listening levels but which still can effect the final amplified signal which could be perceived as less air.
But Bryston have not been sitting idle and have continued over the years at reducing any unwanted electronic residual which would effect the purity of the input signal.
The current BHA-1, AFAICT, has eliminated any source of noise, producing an extremely black back-round letting the tiniest detail emerge; one can be assured the BHA-1 is as good as they come.

But the whole point the exercise though was to show that if one has an old Bryston .4 or.5/ 2BLP pro combo sitting idle IMHO they make a very good headphone amp but the BHA-1 is the new champ
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back