New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Dec 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,306 of 2,442
Hi Chris

I'm speaking of one of these.

Not too sure how many times I've seen these attached to the back of a 2BLP-pro balanced input to accommodate an unbalanced preamp (older 2BLP-pros only had a 1/4 balanced input, more current ones provide a dual input 1/4/ XLR socket) , the amp may sound fine but will get very hot in no time at all, even with headphones.

Hmmmmm. I wonder if the reason it gets hot is because the whole case runs hot?
I assume it does not get any hotter than the case?

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #1,307 of 2,442
For those that have heard both (ideally with a Senn HD800), is the Bryston more of lateral move or an upgrade over the Mjolinir? I am not looking for something to tame or tone the HD800. I am looking for an amp that will feed a transparent, neutral signal from the DAC to the headphone.

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,308 of 2,442

Hi Chris

I'm speaking of one of these.

Not too sure how many times I've seen these attached to the back of a 2BLP-pro balanced input to accommodate an unbalanced preamp (older 2BLP-pros only had a 1/4 balanced input, more current ones provide a dual input 1/4/ XLR socket) , the amp may sound fine but will get very hot in no time at all, even with headphones.

Hmmmmm. I wonder if the reason it gets hot is because the whole case runs hot?
I assume it does not get any hotter than the case?

With the RCA to XLR I can run it for hours and the 2BLP  will only be very slightly warm to the touch, with the RCA to 1/4" it will get very hot in no time running a load.
The minus and ground should still be still separated from the + with the 1/4" so I'm not too sure what's up, I'll check the schematics and see if the latest version of the 2BLP is slightly wired different from the earlier models.
confused.gif

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,309 of 2,442
With the RCA to XLR I can run it for hours and the 2BLP  will only be very slightly warm to the touch, with the RCA to 1/4" it will get very hot in no time running a load.
The minus and ground should still be still separated from the + with the 1/4" so I'm not too sure what's up, I'll check the schematics and see if the latest version of the 2BLP is slightly wired different from the earlier models.
confused.gif

Ouch!
Something was probably making the amp oscillate....maybe?
Which is weird, because the balanced input is a separate stage from the actual power amp.
I can't see why tying the inverting input to ground would be a problem.

I also have a 120 PP which used to shut down after a few hours. Since it was still under warranty, I sent it back for repair. Turns out the output stage bias had gone out of adjustment. But that has nothing to do with an amp running hot because of a 1/4" phone jack.

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,310 of 2,442
  For those that have heard both (ideally with a Senn HD800), is the Bryston more of lateral move or an upgrade over the Mjolinir? I am not looking for something to tame or tone the HD800. I am looking for an amp that will feed a transparent, neutral signal from the DAC to the headphone.

Truthfully, they're much more similar than they are different. I kept the Bryston because I felt it had a bit more presence in the bass and slightly better clarity in the treble, and I appreciated the extra connectivity options (balanced and SE) that the Bryston offers... but both amps share a similar truthfulness in their representation of the source material.

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #1,311 of 2,442

Truthfully, they're much more similar than they are different. I kept the Bryston because I felt it had a bit more presence in the bass and slightly better clarity in the treble, and I appreciated the extra connectivity options (balanced and SE) that the Bryston offers... but both amps share a similar truthfulness in their representation of the source material.

Thanks for the response. I have the Mjolnir. Sounds like if I want a real improvement, I should look at something other than the Bryston (perhaps the upcoming Statement amp from Schiit, or the Headamp GSX or Audio-gd Master 9).

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #1,312 of 2,442

I agree with this to an extent-but definitely felt there were important differences that put the Bryston above the MJ. The soundstage had much better depth and layering on the BHA-1, the highs didn't really bother me with the HD800 (a tiny bit on the Bry, much more on the MJ), and I felt the BHA-1 was simply more musical with better tonality and timbre to it. The MJ had a flat, more in your face presentation which in turn seemed to lack some of the depth and nuance of the Bryston. Dynamics seemed better on the Bryston as well because of the depth/layering that I felt the MJ had a harder time with.I do think the MJ was possibly a tiny bit more transparent (like .05%)-but I think that may be more because of it's tendency to throw everything in your face all at once. My .02.

-Daniel

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,313 of 2,442

I thought there was a difference, I agree with BournePerfect above but also, to my ears, and using an Anedio D2 as source, I thought the MJ was a bit more rough on the top end. I could have lived with it, but then again the Bryston is just smoother and has a better overall soundstage, so I kept the Bryston and returned the MJ. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,314 of 2,442

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631313/schiit-mjolnir-vs-bryston-bha-1-and-schiit-gungnir-vs-bifrost

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #1,315 of 2,442
Thanks for the review Max....I do not own the  HD800 but I have heard many complaints about them being slightly bright. I do not feel the BHA-1 is a bright amp at all. It is an honest, clean, beefy and accurate amp IMO.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,316 of 2,442
I also like the fact that their marketing does not depend on a long list of flavour of the month components used in the amp and suspicious descriptions of the how amp works!
Some of these other manufacturer's make it sound like they re-invented the transistor, LOL!

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #1,317 of 2,442
ChrisJ: I could not agree with you more. Bryston has no b.s. PR dept. Engineers founded the company and now run it. No-nonsense.
Fido2: I have heard that HD-800 needs the "right" amp and/or cable to make it sound more musical. A tube amp could do the trick.
Max: Great review on BHA-1. Your location is "OKC". What's that? The OK Corral in Arizona? LOL.

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #1,318 of 2,442
I also like the fact that their marketing does not depend on a long list of flavour of the month components used in the amp and suspicious descriptions of the how amp works!
Some of these other manufacturer's make it sound like they re-invented the transistor, LOL!

Agreed as well-just a no-nonsense great amp at an incredible price-especially factoring in a TWENTY YEAR WARRANTY.
basshead.gif

-Daniel

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,319 of 2,442
Dec 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,320 of 2,442
ChrisJ: I could not agree with you more. Bryston has no b.s. PR dept. Engineers founded the company and now run it. No-nonsense.
Fido2: I have heard that HD-800 needs the "right" amp and/or cable to make it sound more musical. A tube amp could do the trick.
Max: Great review on BHA-1. Your location is "OKC". What's that? The OK Corral in Arizona? LOL.

Oklahoma City

Users who are viewing this thread

Back