New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Jul 7, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #2,258 of 2,442
Has anyone had any luck performing the gain reduction mod on their own? If so, how complicated is it? My primary set of cans are Grado RS1's and I can barely get to 9 o'clock without endangering my hearing.
I haven't tried it myself, but what is reuired is simple. It requires couple sets of resistors to be swapped positiions. Resistors 3RF and R10L will swap positions, and 4CF and R10R will swap positions.

The challenge is taking off resistors that are surface-mount that are closely packed together. Surfacemount components are soldered to the pcb bonding pads at the two ends. Trying to desolder this component require two soldered ends to heat up with the soldering iron close to the same time to desolder it. That is the challenge. It's probably not easy with a single soldeting iron, and it may require a special tool to do it properly. Ideally a tweezer like tool that heats up both soldered ends to take them off effectively.

Google desoldering surfacemount resistors. Tweezer like soldering iron exists! I'd highly recommend such soldering irons to take them off, and be careful not to solder nearby surfacemount that can short them out!

BHA1 Gain Mod.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #2,260 of 2,442
I haven't tried it myself, but what is reuired is simple. It requires couple sets of resistors to be swapped positiions. Resistors 3RF and R10L will swap positions, and 4CF and R10R will swap positions.

The challenge is taking off resistors that are surface-mount that are closely packed together. Surfacemount components are soldered to the pcb bonding pads at the two ends. Trying to desolder this component require two soldered ends to heat up with the soldering iron close to the same time to desolder it. That is the challenge. It's probably not easy with a single soldeting iron, and it may require a special tool to do it properly. Ideally a tweezer like tool that heats up both soldered ends to take them off effectively.

Google desoldering surfacemount resistors. Tweezer like soldering iron exists! I'd highly recommend such soldering irons to take them off, and be careful not to solder nearby surfacemount that can short them out!

BHA1 Gain Mod.jpg

This is super helpful... thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back