New Headphone Advice (Metal, EDM, Gaming) $800 budget
Jan 31, 2020 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ryry1

Head-Fier
Looking for recommendations for a new set of cans. For the last few months I've been using a pair of LCD-2 Closed Backs, and while I thoroughly enjoy for them for gaming and EDM, they have really disappointed me when it comes to guitar tracks - and I'm a huge metal head so this is really killing me. In the past I've had Denon (D2000s, D600s) and honestly I felt those were better in some ways. Looking for the next upgrade, something that has a good mid range while still has a great low end, for explosions in games, as well as fast response for double kick drums in metal. I know some non mainstream metal sounds crappy despite your source (especially with more revealing headphones) due to poor recordings, but even mainstream metal has disappointed me with this set of cans. I am using a Schiit Jotunheim Multibit DAC/amp combo run to my PC via USB. Price range, probably can go up to about $800, less would be even better if they satsify my needs.

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 5
Do you need to stay closed back?

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 5
Do you need to stay closed back?

No - originally I thought I needed to because of my son (he's 6 months old at this point) - turns out, he can freakin sleep through anything. Source: I built an HT system and he can sleep through me watching movies at moderate volume. Headphones will not be an issue. I've just generally seen in my limited experience better bass response in closed or at least semi-closed headphones.

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 5
Maybe look at a regular LCD2 Fazor. The closed back version has a bit of resonance with guitar and sound a bit wonkie. That's not the case with the open version. If you were happy with the sound otherwise it might be worth a try.

I use my DT770 Pro 250 ohm for gaming. Great can for that. It may be best to have two that specialize in one thing or the other.

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back