New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Jan 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #256 of 425

http://www.headfonia.com/what-happens-as-the-cushion-pads-ages/

These 2 pads are positively different types of pads.
My new (#26xxx) HD800 has the style on the left and it seems to be a kind of dense foam material.
It does not have any of the fabric pattern which is visible on the pad labelled "usedHD800".
For me it seems that Sennheiser did change the material and dimensions of the pads for the HD800.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #257 of 425
These 2 pads are positively different types of pads.
My new (#26xxx) HD800 has the style on the left and it seems to be a kind of dense foam material.
It does not have any of the fabric pattern which is visible on the pad labelled "usedHD800".
For me it seems that Sennheiser did change the material and dimensions of the pads for the HD800.

I've got a 17*** Hd800 number and I got some new pads yesterday. They are identical (apart from wear) they were easy to fit btw. I hand washed the old ones and they have come up as good as new. Will keep them and have them in rotation (they take a while to dry and are still drying out, wouldn't want to be without the 800s for more than 24 hours!)

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #258 of 425
I've got a 17*** Hd800 number and I got some new pads yesterday. They are identical (apart from wear) they were easy to fit btw. I hand washed the old ones and they have come up as good as new. Will keep them and have them in rotation (they take a while to dry and are still drying out, wouldn't want to be without the 800s for more than 24 hours!)

Hey James, how do you remove them? Do they click into place?

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #259 of 425
Hey James, how do you remove them? Do they click into place?

They pull out very easily , I watched this video which shows it nicely .
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=If9v8a3m5LY

It feels like you are breaking them but all that holds them in place is some plastic sheet that kinda hooks under the frame, it is able to be hooked under because the pads have raised plastic on the underside so when you line them up with the cups and push down it forces the plastic sheet in and then it (the sheet)opens up under the housing, therefore holding it in place. It's a pretty clever design actually . I hope my description makes sense!

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #260 of 425

I've just took this with my phone so not the best but you can see the plastic sheet with the raised plastic underneath . This is the old pad so the plastic sheet is bent from when it was inserted into the cup.

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #262 of 425
Thanks for that James, very helpful. Might give mine a wash at some point :)

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #264 of 425
These 2 pads are positively different types of pads
I had 15xxx and it had the foam pads on the left. Just bought some new 26xxx and will compare the bass response.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #265 of 425
I had 15xxx and it had the foam pads on the left. Just bought some new 26xxx and will compare the bass response.

I hope you're not expecting any differences! Because there will not be any if you run in your new pair a few hours before comparing 
redface.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back