New Guy Needs Some Help.
Oct 1, 2010 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Progman

New Head-Fier
First off let me say hello cause this is my first post of Head-fi. In my quest for better quality music listening pleasure i stumbled upon this website and ever since i found it my eyes have been opened! To cut to the point, since im very new to this whole hi end audio thing i need some help to find a good pair of headphones. ive been doing a bit of research here and on other websites along with going to Guitar Center and trying out a couple headphones. What im looking for is something in the price range of up to $300 USD. I figure with that budget i could get some really nice headphones that would be a HUGE step up from the crappy ipod buds that im using right now. I will mostly be using these either at home with my record player and stereo or at someplace like the library so im guessing fully open headphones wont really be the best thing. Allthough i was trying out some Beyer DT880 Pro's at GC and they were semi-open i believe the guy said. and they didnt leak very much sound at all at a pretty high volume. 

I tend to listen to a lot of:

Classical/orchestral music in general
Techno/dance music
dubstep
bands like Metallica, System of a Down, Deftones, Tool, Rush, Opeth, and a ton of Punk/ska
so basically a lot.
biggrin.gif

After doing a bit of research of my own ive narrowed it down to three possibilities that i think i would like based on what ive read. 

1. Beyerdynamic DT880 (whats the difference between the "Premium" and "Pro"?)

2. Ultrasone HFI-2400

3. Denon AHD2000

If anyone has any good information on any of these in relation to how they do against each other that would be excellent. or if you know anything else around their price range which would be better suited for me im open to other options!

sorry for the extremely long post. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 8
If you're planning to use them at the library at all, you will need completely closed headphones.  That pretty much gets rid of your entire list.  The Denons are basically semi-closed, and leak a lot of sound, and the others are open as well.

Someone else around here who had the DT880s said that being "semi-open" is like being "semi-pregnant".  Law of excluded middle and all that.
wink_face.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Welcome to Head-Fi!

The Denons will leak a bit of sound. Though I wouldn't call it a lot. I've asked my roommates several times and they told me they can only hear the higher notes. I should add that I listen at low to mid volumes. However, isolation is virtually nil. I've used my D2000s in the library a couple of times and haven't had any complaints or problems with sound leakage. That being said I'd probably consider some other cans if you're going to use them in quiet places.

Would you consider an amp as well? You might want to look at the Sennheiser HD25-1 II though they are on ear as opposed to over.

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi!

The Denons will leak a bit of sound. Though I wouldn't call it a lot. I've asked my roommates several times and they told me they can only hear the higher notes. I should add that I listen at low to mid volumes. However, isolation is virtually nil. I've used my D2000s in the library a couple of times and haven't had any complaints or problems with sound leakage. That being said I'd probably consider some other cans if you're going to use them in quiet places.

Would you consider an amp as well? You might want to look at the Sennheiser HD25-1 II though they are on ear as opposed to over.

I'm gonna have to suggest these too, they isolate well and they don't leak to much. Doesn't hurt they are portable.

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the replies. Im not worried too much if they leak a little sound because they will be mostly used at home, the only times ill be using them at the library i wont be cranking the volume all the way. When i tested out the DT880's at GC i had them up reasonably loud there was very minimal sound leakage. 

and also those HD-25's look nice its just im interested more in circumaural headphones, i like the way they fit nicely and sound more deep. 

As to what im plugging into, at home for the moment im using a stereo my dad gave me that he got back in the 80's or 90's. its a Technics stereo receiver. then im playing the records with a Denon DP-29 turntable that i got for my birthday a couple months ago. 

another reason why i kind of dont want fully closed headphones is that the ones i have wore always got a bit toasty inside the cups. wheras when i tested the 880's my ears didnt get too hot. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 8
I still don't think they'll cut it for use in a library, not matter how soft you listen.  Not annoying roommates or something, sure, but I listen soft and I've had dirty looks from people when I leave one IEM hanging out so I can hear what's going on around me.  A library is a lot quieter than some random store.  On the other hand, if your local library is already full of people blasting their iBuds then you'll fit right in.

On the plus side you receiver should be able power those Beyers just fine.  You might want to look at the Beyer DT770s though, if you don't want to take a chance on geting kicked out of the local library.  They're similar to the DT880s but closed.  They have the same earpads as the DT880s so your ears don't sweat very much at all.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 8
The m-50s might be a good choice. I use mine for 75 minutes in a library every day, other then some odd looks from people they're great. Strong too, I don't worry at all about them in the bag inside my backpack. Folded up they're the perfect size to sit on top of my binder and books at the top space of my bag. Though they're far under your budget, could grab a new touch or something with the left-over, since the m-50s are easy to drive. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back