New guy looking for full sized phones.
Apr 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sanquintinb

New Head-Fier
Hey all. I replied in the recommendation thread but didnt really get an answer. Im looking to replace my iBuds with some closed full-sized, over the ear cans. I want over ear because I have really small ears and on-ear, in-ear designs are uncomfortable as all hell. I have varied interests in music but i mostly listen to hip hop and chillstep. With some punk rock and reggae every now and then. Dont want to spend more than 300 or so. Willing to buy an amp that I can fit ib my pocket also. Will be streaming from iPhone mostly. Im a big fan of those luscious mids that impact with authority. I hate shrilling highs and un controlled, muddy bass. Good bass I love though. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 9
Hello!

I would definately recommend you to go for the MDR-1R! Warm, colored mids, with plenty of bass and well controlled. Highs are clear and not much sibilants was heard throughout. Soundstage is above average as a closed headphone. The only down side I have with these is the slow attack speed but still, it is excellent with modern music! Overall, very smooth sounding.

Billson :D

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 9
downsides of 1r:

1. mids are too coloured, so that strings sound like trumpets and voices in movies sound like coming from a kitchen radio
2. there is a some emphasis in upper mids, that brings out certain sounds, so that it can easily be fatiguing and shouty
3. sub bass roll of. its all about midbass on this phone. no rumble at all even when music calls for.
4. lack of detail

the good:

- looks
- soundstage
- comfort

for your music i would take a look at ue6000 or momentum, as both sound more naturel and and have better bass response.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
downsides of 1r:

1. mids are too coloured, so that strings sound like trumpets and voices in movies sound like coming from a kitchen radio
2. there is a some emphasis in upper mids, that brings out certain sounds, so that it can easily be fatiguing and shouty
3. sub bass roll of. its all about midbass on this phone. no rumble at all even when music calls for.
4. lack of detail

the good:

- looks
- soundstage
- comfort

for your music i would take a look at ue6000 or momentum, as both sound more naturel and and have better bass response.

I do not have the "movie sound like coming for a kitchen radio" issue to me... but if that's the case, I would recommend the OP the K550 hehe

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #6 of 9
its not the whole sound, that is like kitchen radio in movies. only voices in dialoges sound artifficial.

did not try k550 with movies. but have to.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 9
its not the whole sound, that is like kitchen radio in movies. only voices in dialoges sound artifficial.

did not try k550 with movies. but have to.

Oh if that's what you mean, yeah does sound artificial! I do find a lot of headphones suffers those issues... The other want that I came across is the UE4K..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back