New guy here buying his first fullsize phones...
Jan 7, 2011 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FlyinAg

New Head-Fier
Howdy,
     I recently found this forum, and realized that I am a wanna be audiophile. After reading, reading, and more reading, I have figured out that I would like to buy my first set of fullsize headphones. Right now, I own a set of Shure SE210s and a set of Westone CR1 custom molded plugs that came with our Westone ACCESS plugs. On my iPhone, they both sound pretty decent (not much to compare them to except to your standard big box store plugs), and on my laptop they sound awful (which is to be expected wtih RealTek). I also have a Cowan D2 that I really really like, especially sound wise, but I am usually too lazy to use it and I just grab my iPhone for sure convenience.

I am fixing the laptop sound issue with a Asus Xonar U1 external soundcard. I am hoping this provides a good all around solution for gaming and music, and it should definitely outperform the RealTek. I do not plan on getting an amp or dac yet for budgeting reasons, and I think I can get the biggest increase in quality by getting some better phones. The SE210's sound pretty tinny, and don't have enough bass for me, but I like their clarity. I know how to properly fit them, and that helps ALOT, but I feel they are still lacking. The CR1s are better all around than the 210's. I really like IEM's, but it is all I know, and I think my ears need a break from them. We now wear IEMs while 'at work', and that combined with extended use while listening to music and gaming is pissing my ear canals off.

After all the reading I've done, I think I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to the Shure SRH840s or the M50s.I want something with more bass than what I have now, but also with clarity. I am a drummer, and I would enjoy headphones that bring out the punchiness the bass drums, tonal mids from the toms, and shimmering cymbal crashes. I listen to a lot of prog and metal. Some of my favorites are Avenged Sevenfold, Volbeat, Shadows Fall, Anthrax, and Pantera, Mastodon, Dream Theater, Genesis, Alice in Chains, Blue Man Group, The BEastie Boys... and then some country like George Strait, Charlie Daniels, Hank, and various Texas Country Artists. Yeah I know, I have a odd taste in music. I also do a bit of gaming, and I am a little worried about the lack of sound stage reported with the M50s. I would consider the AD700s, but I am turned off by the open back design with regards to isolation/disturbing my neighbors. I don't need portability as I have plenty of IEMs for that. Additionally, I think the SRH840s are priced at about the max that I want to spend.

I have used the search feature and read up until my eyes hurt, and am just looking for that last little push over the edge to help me pull the trigger on one or the other. Or maybe I am totally our to lunch and should be looking at something else. The other problem is I can't exactly go try them out where I am at right now... Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Howdy, I have a set of SRH840's on the way from Amazon! I figured they were the best all around first set of cans for me after reading some more reviews and posts.  Not to mention, there is no way to figure out for sure if I like them unless I try them out, and where I am at buying them is the only way to try.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Good luck with them! The shures are just a tiny bit better overall and in bass than the M50s but the M50s have better value though.

Quote:
Howdy, I have a set of SRH840's on the way from Amazon! I figured they were the best all around first set of cans for me after reading some more reviews and posts.  Not to mention, there is no way to figure out for sure if I like them unless I try them out, and where I am at buying them is the only way to try.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 5
I will say the M50 is pretty good for the bands you listen to. I haven't heard the 840, but you will see the word "boring" associated with them quite often.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 5
I finally got my 840's and all I have to say is wow! Of course, I don't exactly have the greatest equpiment to compare them to, but they sound great to me. They seem very balanced. I could probably use a wee bit more bass, but it is by no means not enough to make me happy. Maybe they will loosen up a bit after break-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back