New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding
Jan 27, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #481 of 677

In addition to what's been said, you can buy an optional remote (though it doesn't have power or source selection controls).  It's the same one that the m903 uses.  It weighs a ton.  The only thing worth complaining about on it is that it has an "exit setup" long-press command printed on it, which I guess is from the old m903, as it does nothing on the m920, but that's not a big deal.

The m920 has a true bypass on the unbalanced outputs (I do wish that they had one on the balanced outputs as well), but if you're comparing to a balanced setup, it will have less output, so using it as a HT bypass could be complicated unless the whole home theater setup is single-ended, or it could be as simple as setting the balanced volume to auto-set to unity gain when powering up the unit (so not a true bypass, but very close), or if your power amp has trim adjustments on it, use those.

One thing to keep in mind is that the HA-1 was designed with the audiophile market in-mind, while the m920 was designed with both the pro audio and audiophile markets in mind (and probably leaning a bit towards pro, since that's Grace Design's bread and butter, plus the product is marketed as a monitor controller), and the needs and features of both markets differ a bit.

Yeah, I'm not trying to downgrade the m920. I've done some listening on it and although I own the HA-1, I think Grace makes some wonderful products and anyone who buys the m920 will be satisfied. I just didn't like the comment about the m920 being superior in every way. As you mention, it is an audiophile/pro crossover product, which explains the TRS and some of the other features. My understanding is that to enable HT bypass on the m920, the line output for a given source has to be set to a gain of 90. This doesn't seem as convenient or user friendly as the HA-1's HT bypass. The menus and navigation for the m920 certainly seem more convoluted than the HA-1. I can also see some instances where the pairing of the HA-1 with balanced headphones would be superior to a pairing with the m920. I also have found with my TV's functionality that the BT connection on the HA-1 is beneficial for connecting the TV when I'm not using a secondary source (i.e. aTV). I don't have Amazon on my aTV (as it doesn't exist), but I can connect my TV over BT and watch 4K Amazon content while still having the aTV feed as a source to the HA-1 if I want - or use the optical from my bedroom DAC for listening across rooms. For some consumers at a slightly lower price point the HA-1 might be a better fit with quite a bit of feature parity. I don't think either product would be unsatisfying if you're upgrading from a <$500 DAC.

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #482 of 677

In addition to what's been said, you can buy an optional remote (though it doesn't have power or source selection controls).  It's the same one that the m903 uses.  It weighs a ton.  The only thing worth complaining about on it is that it has an "exit setup" long-press command printed on it, which I guess is from the old m903, as it does nothing on the m920, but that's not a big deal.

I'd never noticed that with the remote. I intuitively used a second long press on the 'Output/setup' button to exit setup - which makes more sense, so I guess that's why Grace changed it.
The remote is very nicely made - supplied by Jeff Rowland Design I believe.
FWIW, I actually used a JRD Capri 2 dedicated preamp in my main system and found the m920 to be a more neutral sounding preamp, so I sold the Capri 2.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #483 of 677

Yeah, I'm not trying to downgrade the m920. I've done some listening on it and although I own the HA-1, I think Grace makes some wonderful products and anyone who buys the m920 will be satisfied. I just didn't like the comment about the m920 being superior in every way. As you mention, it is an audiophile/pro crossover product, which explains the TRS and some of the other features. My understanding is that to enable HT bypass on the m920, the line output for a given source has to be set to a gain of 90. This doesn't seem as convenient or user friendly as the HA-1's HT bypass. The menus and navigation for the m920 certainly seem more convoluted than the HA-1. I can also see some instances where the pairing of the HA-1 with balanced headphones would be superior to a pairing with the m920. I also have found with my TV's functionality that the BT connection on the HA-1 is beneficial for connecting the TV when I'm not using a secondary source (i.e. aTV). I don't have Amazon on my aTV (as it doesn't exist), but I can connect my TV over BT and watch 4K Amazon content while still having the aTV feed as a source to the HA-1 if I want - or use the optical from my bedroom DAC for listening across rooms. For some consumers at a slightly lower price point the HA-1 might be a better fit with quite a bit of feature parity. I don't think either product would be unsatisfying if you're upgrading from a <$500 DAC.

For sure, you make fair points.

There are jumpers inside the unit that allow you to set the single-ended line-out for true bypass.  This is a hardware bypass and all functions that involve volume attenuation such as volume control, balance, offset, etc. for the line out will be disabled.  This is what I use, as my line out gets split and goes to a NAD D 3020 for my speakers, and a Woo Audio WA7, which is my primary headphone amp.  Both of these amps have preamps and volume attenuators, so I don't need a second one in the signal chain for my amps.

For the balanced outputs, yes, there is no true bypass.  As I said, the best way to do it would be to set the L2 output to go to unity gain when the unit is powered on.  This isn't a true bypass, and the volume attenuator will probably still affect the signal a bit, but it should be quite minor.

The HT bypass for the HA-1 makes sense, and while I wouldn't mind a better implementation of it on the m920 (mainly to have it available on the balanced outputs as well), I understand why they did it this way.  In a surround sound studio environment, you're not going to be using weird split setups with different amps and what not.  You want uniformity, so you're going to be using matching equipment and a surround sound monitor controller, such as Grace's m906.  The same goes for Bluetooth.  It's handy to have for sure these days (my D 3020 has it, and I use it once in a while), but it's a completely useless feature for studio use, where you need everything performing at its best, so it makes more sense to put on something like an AES input instead.

The menu on the m920 does take a bit of memorization, but most of the settings in it (and there are a lot) are the kind you generally set and forget.  Those that I sometimes play with I just memorized from use.

But yeah, I agree that for many audiophiles, the HA-1 will be more appealing, and that's completely fair.  It's a great unit with a really nice feature set, and fair price.  The m920 has a great amp, but I would not be surprised if the HA-1 readily beats it (I have barely had any time with the HA-1 myself).  My guess is that the m920 will have the superior DAC, and the HA-1 the superior amp, but this is only a guess.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #485 of 677
  Does anybody know are the supplied two fuses (in the package) the necessary ones (slow blow etc.) for converting the unit to 220-240V operation or are just extras?

According to the manual, there are two fuses supplied: 250V/250mA for 110V and 250V/125mA for 220V:

Code:
 [b]LINE VOLTAGE SELECTOR[/b] To change the line voltage, remove the AC power chord from the power inlet then use a small screwdriver to pry the fuse carrier out. Remove both fuses from the fuse carrier and replace with the proper value fuse from the fuse chart below. Carefully remove the grey colored fuse holder and re-insert it into the fuse carrier with the proper line voltage showing through the small window. Note that time delay or “slow blow” fuses are required.

Voltage and Fuse information
CAM SETTINGLINE VOLTAGEFUSE VALUE
110V~100-120V~250V~ T 250mA L
220V~220-240V~250V~ T 125mA L

- Dave

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #487 of 677
Sorry.  Left out the word "supplied" in my last reply.  Yes, both the 250mA and 125mA fuses are in the little carrier in the back.

- Dave

ps. I just noticed you've been inquiring about the m920 for longer than I've owned it. 
atsmile.gif

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #491 of 677
My Massdrop unit arrived!  First impressions:

1. I've never seen anything packed the way this little guy was, suspended between two sheets of thick cellophane, basically.
  2. The owner's manual includes a greeting signed by what looks to be everyone who works at Grace.  Neat touch.
  3. It's a bit bigger than I'd pictured it, but still much smaller than the HA-1.
  4. It's a bit nicer looking than I expected.  Not as nice as the HA-1, but pretty darn nice.

Feeding it some tunes I know very well via Toslink from the AK240 at the moment.  Listening on the HE-400i's.  Too soon to post any sonic impressions, other than there's certainly nothing obviously wrong.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #492 of 677
My grace came in as well and they exceeded my expectations on the overall build of the unit. I was disappointed at the aesthetics on the Grace remote but it didn't feel cheap. The sound signature sounded similar to my am m9XX but there was more detail and depth. This is just my first impression from listening on my LCD-2. I need time with her.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #493 of 677
Mine arrived today. This is so good, it fits all my bill, I could now drive my Dynaudio speakers and my HV amp (bypass, no volume pot) using the m920 as a pre-amp. The ODAC single ended output into the KGSSHV had distortion, I am not sure why, and it made the sound grainy and harsh. A class above the ODAC.

The included remote controller needs to be upgraded into metal body. I will probably be getting the Apple remote control soon.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #494 of 677
  Mine arrived today. This is so good, it fits all my bill, I could now drive my Dynaudio speakers and my HV amp (bypass, no volume pot) using the m920 as a pre-amp. The ODAC single ended output into the KGSSHV had distortion, I am not sure why, and it made the sound grainy and harsh. A class above the ODAC.

The included remote controller needs to be upgraded into metal body. I will probably be getting the Apple remote control soon.

Beautiful pic. Mine is running into a Stax 007tA and 007Mk2... at least until the BHSE arrives 
beyersmile.png

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #495 of 677

Beautiful pic. Mine is running into a Stax 007tA and 007Mk2... at least until the BHSE arrives 
beyersmile.png

Here is a better pic. I am starting on the Megatron build soon, but it's rather costly. 12 tubes beast. I have to DIY because I cannot afford to buy amps like BHSE.

I miss my O2 Mk1. Should never have sold it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back