New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding
Feb 12, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #496 of 677
Those of you feeding your m920 from a PC --

Do you have problems with the m920 not wanting to "wake up" after the computer has been silent for a while?  If I go an hour or two without doing anything that feeds it a signal, then hit play on a YouTube video or flac file, etc., it doesn't pass the signal on to my headphones (or active monitors).  To get it to wake up, I have to do something on the PC that generates a system sound, such as going to the Sound control panel and sending a test signal to each channel.

Anybody else?

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #497 of 677

Do you have problems with the m920 not wanting to "wake up" after the computer has been silent for a while?  If I go an hour or two without doing anything that feeds it a signal, then hit play on a YouTube video or flac file, etc., it doesn't pass the signal on to my headphones (or active monitors).  To get it to wake up, I have to do something on the PC that generates a system sound, such as going to the Sound control panel and sending a test signal to each channel.

Anybody else?

I'm on a Mac and don't have that problem... It sounds more like an issue with the PC, vs the m920 itself.  Are you running in USB1 or USB2 mode?

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #498 of 677
  I'm on a Mac and don't have that problem... It sounds more like an issue with the PC, vs the m920 itself.  Are you running in USB1 or USB2 mode?

USB2.  I don't have the same problem with the HA-1.  OTOH, that wasn't plug-n-play to set up.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #499 of 677

USB2.  I don't have the same problem with the HA-1.  OTOH, that wasn't plug-n-play to set up.

I believe the USB2 mode actually requires a driver... You can download it off of Grace Design's website...

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m920/m920.htm

The link is at the bottom of the "Quick Reference block" on the right side of the page.

I would give that a try and see how it works for you

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #500 of 677
  I believe the USB2 mode actually requires a driver... You can download it off of Grace Design's website...

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m920/m920.htm

The link is at the bottom of the "Quick Reference block" on the right side of the page.

I would give that a try and see how it works for you

Well that was a learning experience.  The driver wouldn't install because it couldn't detect the device.  I thought the m920 defaulted to USB2, but it doesn't.  It's been running in USB1 the whole time.  So I switched that and, sure enough, the driver installed just fine.

Whether this fixes the original problem, we'll have to see, but at the very least it's a step forward on a different front.  Thanks.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #502 of 677
  Cool... Curious to know if that fixes the issue.  Keep us updated :)  The USB 2 feature is required for higher bitrates.

The answer is no, it didn't. 
confused_face.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #504 of 677
  That sucks.  Sorry I'm out of ideas, do you have another PC you could try it in? 

Not really.  I could probably take it to the office and try it there.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #505 of 677

Anybody else?

Another possibility is that your PC (especially laptops) might be suspending your USB host controller during extended inactivity.  From Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings

Good luck!

- Dave

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #506 of 677
^ I'm on a desktop pc, but I changed the setting, anyway.  We'll see if it makes a difference.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back