New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding
Jun 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #106 of 677

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #107 of 677

Also, the D7000/m903 combination is a fantastic one 

Indeed a match made in or at least close to heaven, ie. in Lyons Colorado at 1637 m (5371 ft).

I bought my Grace Design m903 from the first batch arriving in Norway, which I believe was from the first production batch. I have used and enjoyed it mainly as a headphone amplifier + DAC.

I have also tried it as a DAC feeding STAX SRM-007t + STAX SR-009 with good and even surprising results (goose bumps in/from unexpected music). See earlier posts, probably in one of the Grace Design m903 threads.

Some of the comments about Grace Design m903 seems odd to me. There's nothing wrong with the multifunction knob that among other things functions as a volume control. Maybe some people doesn't understand(?)

Bass doesn't seem to be hiding from me, so I don't know what some people are talking about.

On the other hand Sennheiser HD 800 + Grace Design m903 didn't work for me (not engaging/low foot tapping and goose bumps factor). Neither did Benchmark DAC1 HDR. On the other hand AudioQuest DragonFly, Lynx Hilo, and EAR Yoshino HP4 all did. See earlier posts in threads about those products (probaly m903 and Hilo). Others like the combination which may need a higher loudness level than I like (described in earlier posts including m903 and probably Hilo display numbers).

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #108 of 677
  We'll be getting a sample unit for the SoCal Meet this weekend! Looking forward to comparing with the m903, will then be doing a review for www.audio360.org

Have you all gotten around to reviewing this product?  I realize you guys have probably been super busy with the recent west coast meets/events.  I didn't see anything on the website so I just wanted to make sure you still intend to review this product.

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #109 of 677
  Have you all gotten around to reviewing this product?  I realize you guys have probably been super busy with the recent west coast meets/events.  I didn't see anything on the website so I just wanted to make sure you still intend to review this product.

We're almost there and hope to have this up within the next couple weeks! 

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #110 of 677
3. I conducted some long listening sessions comparing the m920 and the HA-1. They are neck-and-neck, confirming my original impressions. As I said before, the m920 is slightly analytical, the HA-1 slightly warm, and different types of music tend to benefit differently from those signatures. If you listen to a lot of sultry female vocalists, warmer might be better. (Kate Bush doesn't count, lol.) With rock music -- cymbals and drums -- analytical precision is a benefit.

Curious to know if your continued listening still indicates the m920 and the HA-1 are "neck-and-neck." If true, this suggests that the Oppo is either a great value, or the m920 is not that great a value. For the price difference, one would think the m920 would have a more substantial edge.

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #111 of 677

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #112 of 677

As I pointed out before, at this price point, it's not the SQ but the features that differentiate. They are both using the same (or almost the same) top-of-the-line ESS DAC. If you like a slightly warmer sound, the Oppo might be better for you, but on 95% of source material I cannot make out a difference. The Oppo is missing the comprehensive input/output control of the Grace, a bunch of filtering options, and digital VC. The build quality and form factor of the Grace is also superior (not to mention power consumption and heat output). The Oppo has BT, iPhone hookup, and a phone app, but I don't care about any of those. The Grace's direct competition is really from companies like Benchmark and exaSound.

Thank you for your feedback. The Chord Hugo has been getting rave reviews. Many are claiming it to be a revolutionary product. A dealer who carries both the Hugo and the Grace m920 recommended the Grace over the Hugo. That is one of the reasons I find it surprising that, in your experience, the m920 is not doing better in a head-to-head match with the Oppo. I ordered the m920 today and will see how it fares with my Senn HD-800 and Oppo PM-1. I'm debating whether to also bring the Hugo in for evaluation.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #113 of 677

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #114 of 677

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #116 of 677
Here are the Watt figures - they are the same for both units
m903 and m920.

32 Ohm    2100mW
50 Ohm    1548mW
300 Ohm    271mW
600 Ohm    136mW

I'll post this in the m903 thread too for future reference given they don't have these figures available on their website.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #117 of 677
OK, So whose got one? Dale Pro Audio in NYC has them in stock. Grace just shipped a bunch.

Any more news??

It seems pretty cool from its interface that you could run several zones of music from one device with independent volume control.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #118 of 677
  OK, So whose got one? Dale Pro Audio in NYC has them in stock. Grace just shipped a bunch.

Any more news??

It seems pretty cool from its interface that you could run several zones of music from one device with independent volume control.

Sorry about the crickets. It's been difficult to nail down any particular sonic traits to the M920.  As a DA converter the resolution of detail is excellent, but not what I would call analytical or dry or sterile sounding. The thing gets micro and macrodynamics right so the music ebbs and flows. Someone else in this thread mentioned the m920 has more of a presence to it and I would agree. There are 2 sonic traits that I come up with as a DA source unit. The first is the deep bass extension. Its deep and linear without a midbass hump and pairs nicely with the TH-600 and TH-900. From the m920 I felt both the fostex had less midbass coloration and more deep bass extension.  The 2nd Trait is in the treble. I wouldn't call it polite, it's clean and grain free. However it doesn't have as much meat to it as the dangerous source. Given the increase in resolution, presence, and bass extension it isn't much of a tradeoff. My modded oppo on the other hand does have a "thinner" sounding treble than the m920.
     I like the amp section (with x-feed). I found it has a larger soundstage than the dangerous source. I tried it with the TH-600. Anyone who thinks the treble is a bit much on the fostex I think would like this pair. I did prefer the x-feed function. I found the rear of soundstage deeper with more defined images and things less flat with the x-feed engaged. The sound was not warm nor dark, maybe a touch cool compared to my tube amps. If I had purchased the m920 before the peak apex/volcano I'm not sure I would have felt the need to upgrade amp sections. 
     One misstep along the way.  I unplugged my vaunix powered hub to try out the S-lock technology. I must have a really electronically noisy computer. I will never disconnect that thing again. Without it I was no longer immersed in the music. Otis Taylor's picking no longer sent shivers down my spine.  I don't think this was related to the m920 so much as my computer's usb output.
     Hope this helps. For me it's a keeper. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #119 of 677
I've ordered the m920 from Sweetwater, however their still waiting for Grace Design as the units aren't in stock, yet. It's supposed to be in stock sometime closer to the end of July. I can't wait to test this unit with the K812's! What a great monitoring synergy I think this will be! I'm still patiently (anxiously) awaiting 360Audio's review in the meantime. There are a few reviews and some positive comments, so far. I'm excited!-T.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #120 of 677
I've ordered the m920 from Sweetwater, however their still waiting for Grace Design as the units aren't in stock, yet. It's supposed to be in stock sometime closer to the end of July. I can't wait to test this unit with the K812's! What a great monitoring synergy I think this will be! I'm still patiently (anxiously) awaiting 360Audio's review in the meantime. There are a few reviews and some positive comments, so far. I'm excited!-T.

They really need to churn out some more reviews.  I realize they organize a lot of events too but still I would love some more reviews from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back