New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding
Mar 26, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #541 of 677
I, for one, prefer the S setting.......

Yeah, I suspect it will be a personal preference/system dependent thing.
Like I said above I actually switched from the 'P' to the 'S' setting and pretty much forgot about it while I was concentrating on other aspects of my system.
When I switched back to the 'P' setting I was surprised how emphatically I preferred it - particularly on the Halcro/Harbeth speaker setup (Halcro amp was a new addition since comparing the settings).
In 'P' mode the presentation is more solid and 3D. Transients - whether guitar plucks, piano hammers, vocal or percussion - sound cleaner, more solid and focused. Vocalists and instruments sound more realistic and 'in the room'.
On the other hand the 'S' setting provides a bit more 'sheen/sparkle' - which can give more lustre and air to some material - but also has a tendency to sound a bit bright and sibilant on (some) vocals.  It just doesn't sound as engaging, solid or realistic to me.
Clearly this is a case of YMMV, but its worth playing around with to see what individuals prefer.

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #542 of 677
Guys, I just updated my PC to Windows 10 and now it doesn't recognize the m920's device driver.  When I got to Settings > Devices > Connected Devices, it shows "m920 USB Audio 2.0 - Driver is unavailable."

If I go to Settings > Devices > Device Manager, it shows the m920 has no driver, but it also shows XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST is installed.

Some googling has turned up nothing.  Suggestions?

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #543 of 677
  Guys, I just updated my PC to Windows 10 and now it doesn't recognize the m920's device driver.  When I got to Settings > Devices > Connected Devices, it shows "m920 USB Audio 2.0 - Driver is unavailable."

If I go to Settings > Devices > Device Manager, it shows the m920 has no driver, but it also shows XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST is installed.

Some googling has turned up nothing.  Suggestions?

Never mind.  After uninstalling XMOS again, I ran a registry cleaner before reinstalling it again.  That fixed it.

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #544 of 677
I wonder if anyone can help me out on playing DSD files on the M920? I looked up a few guides on how to set up (Specifically on Schiit's website) but some things are different so bit unsure what to do. I am trying to use foobar for DSD files.

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #545 of 677
  I wonder if anyone can help me out on playing DSD files on the M920? I looked up a few guides on how to set up (Specifically on Schiit's website) but some things are different so bit unsure what to do. I am trying to use foobar for DSD files.

I'm using JRiver and have never used foobar, so no idea.  I would think it should be pretty straightforward, though.  Setting some appropriate preferences, etc.

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #546 of 677

Here's a post on setting up JRiver Media Center for DSD.  Perhaps some of it can apply to foobar as well:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/709617/new-grace-design-m920-dac-amp-with-dsd-decoding/345#post_11500625

- Dave

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #547 of 677
I'm also a jriver user, so I won't be much help, either. Googling 'foobar dsd setup' returned a number of good results. Here's one from Audiostream.com:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/how-play-dsd-file-using-foobar2000#lwjR3jwoyzcQkzXl.97

But it looks like there are several other good resources. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #548 of 677
Thanks, got it working eventually after playing around with a few settings. I was looking at a bunch of guides when I was googling, mostly the same but the Schiit one was a bit more detailed. I might try JRiver and see how is it since it's lying on my desktop for a while.

Has anyone tried the filters for DSD? Not sure if they make any difference... can't really hear any difference to my ears.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #549 of 677
  Thanks, got it working eventually after playing around with a few settings. I was looking at a bunch of guides when I was googling, mostly the same but the Schiit one was a bit more detailed. I might try JRiver and see how is it since it's lying on my desktop for a while.

Has anyone tried the filters for DSD? Not sure if they make any difference... can't really hear any difference to my ears.

Glad you got it.  As for the filters, that's what Tobes and others were discussing.  See first post on this page, and then go back a page or two.

Personally, I heard very little difference and left it at the default setting.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #550 of 677

Glad you got it.  As for the filters, that's what Tobes and others were discussing.  See first post on this page, and then go back a page or two.

Personally, I heard very little difference and left it at the default setting.

I believe that discussion was the PCM filter. Apparently, there is a DSD filter according to the manual. I was playing around with the DSD filters but not entirely sure what each filter does even.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #551 of 677
  I believe that discussion was the PCM filter. Apparently, there is a DSD filter according to the manual. I was playing around with the DSD filters but not entirely sure what each filter does even.

Oh.  I didn't even remember there being two separate sets of filters. Safe to say I left that at the default setting, too. 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #552 of 677

Yes, I was talking about the PCM filter. I have almost zero DSD material (or interest in same) and haven't bothered playing with the DSD filter.

In regards to the PCM filter, while differences might initially seem subtle, my ear/brain has now cued in on the things I believe the minimum phase 'P' setting does better (see above) and I now find the differences much more black and white.
Even the bass, which I wouldn't expect to be influenced much by a filter, is noticeably more solid and grounded with the 'P' setting IMO.

May 5, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #554 of 677

Thanks for your review.
My grace m9xx drives 75ohm LCD-2 pretty well but I feel m9xx provides less dynamics and headroom when driving 600ohm Beyerdynamic T1. 
So I am thinking to buy beyerdynamic A20(170 mW / 250 Ω) or upgrade to m920.
According to spec, m920 has 136mW for 600 ohm while m9xx has 57mw .
So m920 has more than twice power when driving 600 ohm headphones.
Your review says m920 suits for low impedance headphones.
How is m920 driving your 300ohm hd 800 ? do you think it can handle 600 ohm T1 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back