New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Jul 30, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #361 of 528
THX amplifiers have very neutral sound. C3X sounds more musical, it adds some coloration to sound.
I prefer C3X but it is subjective.

C3X doesn't sound any different than Topping DX7Pro when they are used as DACs with THX 887.
After some time now, could you describe if you hear another aspects, like dynamics, livelines, overall enjoyment with Burson over THX887? Doesnt it sound flat the thx amp now? What phones u use please? Many Thanks :)
T.

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #362 of 528
After some time now, could you describe if you hear another aspects, like dynamics, livelines, overall enjoyment with Burson over THX887? Doesnt it sound flat the thx amp now? What phones u use please? Many Thanks :)
T.

I have sold my Burson amp and the THX887 as well. I am using ECP T4 tube amplifier (and RME ADI 2 DAC) with Verite headphones.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #363 of 528
Today we're looking at the awesome Conductor 3X Performance on Headfonia.
In this very detailed review we check how it sounds and as an extra we describe its synergy with 10 TOTL flagship headphones.
A recommended buy?
https://www.headfonia.com/burson-conductor-3xp-review/
Enjoy!
Just receive Burson Conductor 3X Reference today. However, the USB input from MacBookPro running OS High Sierra 10.13.6 does not work, even after installing a driver from Burson web page. The rather new MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) does not recognise Burson connected to Thunderbolt 3 (USB C) at all. Any recommendations to solve this problem?

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #364 of 528
Just receive Burson Conductor 3X Reference today. However, the USB input from MacBookPro running OS High Sierra 10.13.6 does not work, even after installing a driver from Burson web page. The rather new MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) does not recognise Burson connected to Thunderbolt 3 (USB C) at all. Any recommendations to solve this problem?
Are you using the cable that came with the Burson? If so, tru]y any other USB-C cable and you should be fine.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #365 of 528
so a few questions.... I'd like to be prep'd to fully test this unit by the time I get it.

Are there unbalanced analog inputs in the back? I want to run my Bifrost Dac (unbalanced) to test only the Amp section so I can compare it to my other amps and normalize for DACs.

Does Dac have unbalanced output so I can test the DAC section only and test across multiple amps?

I assume the unit has a digital input so I can run a coax from my Fiio X7 line out?

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #367 of 528
so a few questions.... I'd like to be prep'd to fully test this unit by the time I get it.

Are there unbalanced analog inputs in the back? I want to run my Bifrost Dac (unbalanced) to test only the Amp section so I can compare it to my other amps and normalize for DACs.

Does Dac have unbalanced output so I can test the DAC section only and test across multiple amps?

I assume the unit has a digital input so I can run a coax from my Fiio X7 line out?
It has DAC out on 2 x XLR's. But they warn in the user guide about directly going to RCA without transformer. Analog input with XLR's. Digital inputs USB, Toslink, Coaxial and Bluetooth.
As stated before, their User guide is rather useless.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #368 of 528
Is there a computer where C3X actually works?

What exact P/N for Mac TB-USB adapter are you using for the 2nd Mac?

Have you tried TB to USB adapter and check if C3X works?

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #370 of 528
Has anyone managed to compare the Conductor 3 Performance to Reference?

I am interested what sonic differences they have.

search youtube for soundnews as Sandu has reviewed and written both.

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #372 of 528
Has anyone managed to compare the Conductor 3 Performance to Reference?

I am interested what sonic differences they have.
Same DAC chip and same DNA on the internal amplifier. I see no real reasons to not sound very similar, although the Reference will probably measure better due to the dual-DAC chips from inside, but this is not something that our hearing will need to perceive. If dual-DAC design, bigger size and more power is important for you, then pick the Reference version.

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #373 of 528
Ah thanks for the replies.

For driving a Sennheiser HD650 and HD800S, would you pick the Burson Performance (not the 3X) or suggest to move up to either 3X model or reference?

I am just a bit concerned with the output power of the Performance model

300 Ohm160mW

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #374 of 528
With it's 102 dB @1mW sensitivity you don't need more than 100mW to drive the HD800S to insane levels, so both Performance and Reference will drive both of these cans admirably.

You might choose the 3X models just in case you will move in the coming years to balanced interconnects and/or headphones...you never know. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back