New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #511 of 528
Just got myself a conductor 3xR!

How many classic opamps should I replace if I want a warmer signature? Should I just replace 2, or all 4? Not too much of a fan of the vivid as they are a bit sharp/lean on the Susvaras.
interested in this as well, I have emailed Burson but no answer yet…

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #512 of 528
Just one opinion, but if you want to purchase Classics to change the tone I would start with 2 Singles (LP stage). Both the singles and duals will impact the entire sound, but the singles mostly control the tone and overall sound signature. The duals mostly control sound stage. For a additional op amp info I'd recommend checking the C3R (single ended) thread. Everything there should apply to the 3XR as well, or for that matter some of the lower Burson amps. I've tested op amps between both the C3R and the Playmate 2 with identical results

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #513 of 528
Does anyone know if there is a lot of sound degradation using xlr to rca converters, for example to use the dac out to a line-in stereo amplifier. What I have read those converter use inside some cheap coil solution (like neutrik one’s)

I am also curious if someone ever compares the soloist 3x + composer 3x stack to the conductor 3x reference.

Benefit of the stack is having both rca and xlr output without converters. But have know idea which sound beter the conductor 3x reference or the offers stack option.

I ask because I want to use it as a headphone amp and a decent dac for my hifi

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #514 of 528
Please note that the DAC out is not to be used when connecting to a power amp directly. The pre out XLR connectors are for that. Please read the manual if you plan to connect the outputs to rca single ended.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #515 of 528
Please note that the DAC out is not to be used when connecting to a power amp directly. The pre out XLR connectors are for that. Please read the manual if you plan to connect the outputs to rca single ended.
So the rca is only used for pre-out, didn’t knew that. Or did I understand incorrectly? The manual is really unclear in my opinion

So nomather what, you always have to used those xlr converters, so how does that influence line-out dac audio quality?

I checked those neutrik xlr converters and inside they contain a cheap coil with a resistor, I can’t imagine that would be a really nice conversion?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #517 of 528
So the rca is only used for pre-out, didn’t knew that. Or did I understand incorrectly? The manual is really unclear in my opinion

So nomather what, you always have to used those xlr converters, so how does that influence line-out dac audio quality?

I checked those neutrik xlr converters and inside they contain a cheap coil with a resistor, I can’t imagine that would be a really nice conversion?
Maybe I did not make myself clear. The problem is really with the manual as well.

Regarding XLR outputs: DAC out bypasses the volume control, so it cannot be used for connecting to a power amp directly. PRE OUT is for that. XLR pre out to RCA input in a power amp (that does not have balanced in) is a whole different issue. I tried to contact Burson confirming what kind of adaptors are needed in that, but did not get any reply.

The manual says:
To achieve an ideal sonic performance, the XLR outputs of the Conductor 3X are direct coupling. ie. It
has no coupling capacitors or transformers on the audio signal path.
However, direct coupling outputs are not compatible with off-the-shelf XLR to RCA adaptors like the
ones showing below. Using such adaptors to connect the C3X to any single-ended amplifier with RCA
inputs will damage the internal opamps of the C3X.
Therefore, to safely connect the Conductor 3X to any single-ended amplifiers, please use the
transformer type of adapters below. (picture in manual)

Jun 14, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #518 of 528
Hello. I bought a Conductor 3XP device and I have a problem with it. my problem is that when using USB with a PC and using the 3XP pre out xlr output with an active speaker, sometimes a scary, loud popping sound comes out of the speaker, which literally scares me. There is something even scarier than that... sometimes it makes a sound as if something is shaking the speakers. crackling sound and awfully loud and scary too. what do you think? let me point out in advance, the xlr cable and speaker must work perfectly, they cannot be the source of the error. I welcome any useful information. this scary popping and "shaking" sound is there even if the 3XP is in preout or hp out mode. In fact, he did it even when he did not receive an active signal from any input, the 3XP was only switched on in idle mode!! Please help me find the problem, because the 3XP device is unusable!

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #521 of 528
Hi everyone.

I got the Burson Conductor 3XR, I'm very happy with the sound quality and I want to change the original power supply to the 5a Super Charger, any advice?
Welcome to the (now very inactive) club.
I have the 3A supercharger. Do not expect a day and night difference.

Jan 8, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #523 of 528
Hi everyone.

I got the Burson Conductor 3XR, I'm very happy with the sound quality and I want to change the original power supply to the 5a Super Charger, any advice?
Hi everyone.

Hi. I have to admit that this is basically useless. You might prefer to invest your money in something else…

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #525 of 528
These are the first posts I've ever seen saying that the Super Charger isn't worth it/doesn't make much of a difference. IMO it's required to get the most out of your Burson. It made a significant difference on my Playmate 2, Reference, and GT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back