New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Oct 16, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,606 of 1,838
Forgive me if this has already been answered, but this thread is really long. Can anyone compare either the Polaris or the ember to an amb amp like the M3 of beta 22? Not fully satisfied with the he560s on the M3 and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth trying the Polaris or the ember.

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #1,608 of 1,838
How badly am I messing up the sound when I use Low-Bandwidth (with Aggressive model), AND Mid-Resistance WITH-Attenuation? I've noticed some female vocal tracks S's starting to give me fatigue (i believe), after awhile i start to stretch my face and rub eyes. Not sure if im getting fatigue from listening, or it could be ****ty sleep time (insomnia) and eyes messing with me. I wanted to get opinions from any others that are sensitive to Sibilance or fatigue, i dont know if im sensitive to treble/sibilance but i guess i could be.

I'm using a HE-400i and everyone says they dont have sibilance. It could just be my ears, i do have Tinnitus. BUT I do listen at around 10-11' o clock, usually always With-Attenuation module on. That surely cant be loud? Just recently started adding Mid/Low Bandwidth (with Aggressive Polaris) and bumping Resistance up. My ears dont recognize alot of difference in sound equipment but these settings make the strong female S's less irritating and just wanted to get opinions. :)

edit: 400i known to have a treble spike right? mabye thats whats bothering me?

Nov 13, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,609 of 1,838
Trying to get everyone's opinion on these for a pair of HD650s or if there are other amps (around the $450 mark) I should look at as well (Ember II, Schiit jotunheim, bottlehead crack + speed mod (most expensive one))?

I'm interested in this because it's supposed to be a solid state that has a tube like sound, but I'm not sure what the tradeoffs are.

I'm looking for a warmer, but detailed sound. Bright treble and sibliance are not for me at all. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,610 of 1,838
  Trying to get everyone's opinion on these for a pair of HD650s or if there are other amps (around the $450 mark) I should look at as well (Ember II, Schiit jotunheim, bottlehead crack + speed mod (most expensive one))?

I'm interested in this because it's supposed to be a solid state that has a tube like sound, but I'm not sure what the tradeoffs are.

I'm looking for a warmer, but detailed sound. Bright treble and sibliance are not for me at all. 

if you want warmer you don't want the jot.

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,611 of 1,838

I have both but my own personal preference is for the Polaris. Lower noise floor and just a bit less tubey sounding than the Ember. A little bit more bite to the top end.

Having said that, there are some who prefer the Ember and the tube swapping capabilities. Remember to change the tube though because I know that some go on forever with the same tube........

The Polaris is a really excellent amp IMO.

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,612 of 1,838
I agree, for the price it's excelent and fun sounding. Comparing with higher pricing Amp tough, it lacks some refinement, articulation is not top notch. I was really surprised when i upgraded to a Lake People G109, the gap was bigger than expected.

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #1,613 of 1,838

Things to consider... are you buying an amp for the 650 alone? to build a system around the 650 and other high impedance cans? or are you looking for an amp with more versatility for future cans you may buy?

IF your building a system for the 650, get the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball and call it a day knowing you have that amp thing covered. But, OTL amps like the Crack aren't gonna be the best choice for low impedance/current hungry cans and the like. So your married to high impedance cans more or less.

IF you looking to have a solid amp for almost anything you could buy in the the future, the Ember is the better bet, but your gonna lose just a
touch of the HD650 magic not going OTL in my opinion.

IF you can't afford the previous options and don't want to save, get a Polaris. Its a great SS amp with enough power for most cans, customizable, and at a great price. My HD600 sounds great out of it, but @Drrizzt is right, you'll be missing some refinements the Polaris can't provide.

Polaris is a great amp, use it all the time when I don't want to wait for tubes to warm up or shorter listening sessions. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,614 of 1,838
Thanks for all your replies.  Although I want to buy just for the HD650 alone, I want a more versatile amp, still not 100% sold on tubes yet though.  Any other warm sounding SS amps for around $500 USD that don't have the flaws of the polaris?

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #1,616 of 1,838
Bought a Garage Polaris for when I didn't want to wait for tube warm up and short sessions. Never tired my T1's with it thinking it just wouldn't do them justice, not compared to my tube amp anyway. Pleasantly surprised to find out how wrong I was. T1's sound pretty stellar from the Polaris, I prefer my tube amp, but the Polaris has proven itself to be a VERY capable amp easily handling everything I've thrown at it except for sensitive IEM's. Attenuation or not, I still get some hiss on Nobles.

Just a stellar amp for the price.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #1,618 of 1,838
I kind of doubt the HD 700s will ever have one, since they're not terribly popular headphones. You're probably better off with a software based EQ.

OTOH the HD700 might be an ideal candidate. Some consider them as an HD800 with problems, so if a module could fix the problems the combo could be a great value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back