New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Oct 10, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #1,576 of 1,838
Very interested in what you find out, @DisasterMouse . We have practically the same setup :slight_smile:. I have modded vegan pads, replacing my prior focus pads (A).

I'm very close to getting an Ether to see if I can get a bit more richness/warmth in bass and lower miss. But I saw that announcement started considering the Kameleon.

Here's hoping it's still useful. I don't consider pad changes much as far as modding goes.

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #1,580 of 1,838
I agree that it is something that needs to be thought about. I have to say, mine really does get the best from an hd650 though, and I wouldn't be able to find another headphone with the same smoothness in the treble with proper, deep bass.

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #1,581 of 1,838
This is all buzzing around in my head at the moment. It seems it's not so easy to tell whether I have the old or new version of HD650.

I thought it was just a matter of looking through the back grill and seeing if I saw black or silver. Mine is silver. However, I've now read it's more to do with how stiff the pads are, so I haven't got a clue which version I've got. You can put a kilogram weight on the pad to test-but I don't have a kilogram weight.

If I do decide to purchase I suppose I could send one of my pads to Jeremy to examine or just purchase a new pair of pads from Sennheiser, then, at least, I would know I had the new version.

Why is life so complicated ? 
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #1,583 of 1,838
You have a newer one if it's silver Howard. Now check for the Sennheiser hologram behind the grill of the right cup which will confirm it.

Thanks for helping Ian. There is a silver hologram behind the left grill so I suppose that's okay.
I'm not sure whether I have the funds for Kameleon. I'm thinking of treating myself to a T1 or HD800S for Christmas- if I'm way off financial target I'll probably buy Kameleon for my HD650 instead-it will probably suit me just as well.

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #1,584 of 1,838
If you have that hologram, it's a new one, Howard.

A lot of 'sound' differences are to do with the harder pads that the new ones come with. They are firmer.

While the hd650 is really good with a Kameleon, the hd800 is better according to Solderdude. I fancy an hd800s as well.

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #1,585 of 1,838
If you have that hologram, it's a new one, Howard.

A lot of 'sound' differences are to do with the harder pads that the new ones come with. They are firmer.

While the hd650 is really good with a Kameleon, the hd800 is better according to Solderdude. I fancy an hd800s as well.

I would need to audition an HD800 and 800S as I read some people find the 800 has too much treble. I like lots of treble as long as it's sweet, but not so as to give me a hissing migrane.

This means finding a shop with both models. I'll start my quest in a month or so. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #1,586 of 1,838
  I would need to audition an HD800 and 800S as I read some people find the 800 has too much treble. I like lots of treble as long as it's sweet, but not so as to give me a hissing migrane.

This means finding a shop with both models. I'll start my quest in a month or so. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you might be further to the west but Hifi Corner (Edinburgh & Falkirk) seem to stock both, so possible they might have both available for audition. Not really any other decent headphone places I can think of through my way though.

http://store.hificorner.co.uk/headphones.html

If you can get your hands on an HD650 module you're more than welcome to have a loan of my Kameleon if you fancy giving one a go? It's a prototype I got in a trade with Frans but aside from the enclosure it's the same as the production unit.

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #1,587 of 1,838

I think you might be further to the west but Hifi Corner (Edinburgh & Falkirk) seem to stock both, so possible they might have both available for audition. Not really any other decent headphone places I can think of through my way though.

http://store.hificorner.co.uk/headphones.html

If you can get your hands on an HD650 module you're more than welcome to have a loan of my Kameleon if you fancy giving one a go? It's a prototype I got in a trade with Frans but aside from the enclosure it's the same as the production unit.

That's very kind and helpful of you, Mark.

I'll contact Hifi Corner and see what their situation is. After all, what's an hour's journey when seeking HiFi bliss.
biggrin.gif

I'll get back to you about the Kameleon if I decide not to buy the 800/s and thanks again.  
beerchug.gif

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #1,588 of 1,838

That's very kind and helpful of you, Mark.

I'll contact Hifi Corner and see what their situation is. After all, what's an hour's journey when seeking HiFi bliss.
biggrin.gif

I'll get back to you about the Kameleon if I decide not to buy the 800/s and thanks again.  
beerchug.gif

That's no bother Howard :)

I noticed Hifi Corner are selling an ex-display HD800 which gives me some hope that they will have both available for audition. And an hour's travel isn't too bad really and certainly beats buying blind!!

Just give me a nudge here or on DIYAH if you fancy giving the Kameleon a go at any point (postage won't cost much). The offer's there!

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #1,589 of 1,838

That's no bother Howard :)

I noticed Hifi Corner are selling an ex-display HD800 which gives me some hope that they will have both available for audition. And an hour's travel isn't too bad really and certainly beats buying blind!!

Just give me a nudge here or on DIYAH if you fancy giving the Kameleon a go at any point (postage won't cost much). The offer's there!

I noticed that ex-display model-very tempting- thanks again Mark. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back