New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Feb 21, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,246 of 1,838
Even just a different power cable.
I use the stock PSU with a power punch power cable.
Noticably better over stock. Unless you are going linear it doesn't get much better than the stock PSU.

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,247 of 1,838
I'm fairly certain it is either the STX that is affected by my GPU or the fact that the wiring in this house is very old, and only specific sockets are grounded. (I'm assuming a grounded extension plugged into an un-grounded wall socket doesn't actually do anything.) Could also be from my monitor as it's situated right under it at the moment because of space issues, together with wires running everywhere. It's currently plugged into a extension cord together with all my other gear. I'm looking to space stuff out over more sockets, but I won't be able to do that until I move my desk around.

The hum is worse on startup and gets less and less offensive as the unit warms up. (I assume that's why anyway.)

I live in Norway so I have a Belkin branded europlug, don't know how much better that is compared to the stock US plug though.

On a side note, if I was to get a different DAC, what would be the most bang for buck? Feel free to list several as I'd prefer to be able to buy it in Norway.

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #1,248 of 1,838

I live in Norway so I have a Belkin branded europlug, don't know how much better that is compared to the stock US plug though.

I used to own an MP301 Mk-3 tubed amp. It had a hum. Acquired an Emotiva CMX-2 (power filter/cond) for about $90. Plugged it into the CMX, along with my source. Hum gone.

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #1,249 of 1,838

I used to own an MP301 Mk-3 tubed amp. It had a hum. Acquired an Emotiva CMX-2 (power filter/cond) for about $90. Plugged it into the CMX, along with my source. Hum gone.

Will a powerfilter work from an ungrounded socket? Otherwise that seems like a smart investment, might have to import though. The only powerfilters I can find in Norway cost 300-500USD and are 6-8 sockets. Might be able to find something else if I look around more.

EDIT: I lied. I can probably find cheaper ones with the same functionality. Question about ungrounded socket still stands though.

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,251 of 1,838
  I just want to order the polaris what should i take the aluminum or the acrylic? the mellow or the aggressive bandwitdth? 
and what cable rca recommended for connected the polaris to the stx?

Acrylic and aluminium are purely up to your own tastes. I got the acrylic and I think it looks great, I don't know if there is any difference in interference and whatever between the two. I have the mellow version, but I have not tried to actually change bandwidth yet. Haven't had a need for it. The difference is that aggressive cuts the high frequencies more aggressively than the mellow version. If you look at the chart at the bottom of the Polaris page on garage1217's website you can see the difference.

I bought some Monster RCA cables, they are probably overkill and mostly not worth it, but I figured why not. Most consumer grade cables should be fine unless they are of obvious bad quality.

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,252 of 1,838
  Will a powerfilter work from an ungrounded socket? Otherwise that seems like a smart investment, might have to import though. The only powerfilters I can find in Norway cost 300-500USD and are 6-8 sockets.  Question about ungrounded socket still stands though.

Not sure about Euro plug sockets. Here in NA, an ungrounded outlet will not provide surge protection. I think you would need to find a way of grounding the CMX bar.

Read thru this thread:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/should-i-even-bother-with-a-power-conditioner-with-ungrounded-outlets.228182/

Keep in mind, that's an American site.

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #1,253 of 1,838
  I just want to order the polaris what should i take the aluminum or the acrylic? the mellow or the aggressive bandwitdth? 
and what cable rca recommended for connected the polaris to the stx?

EDIT:  My statement on the next line is incorrect and corrected by Vapman a few posts below!  Sorry

Bandwidth is now adjustable via jumpers on the amp board, no need to order one or the other.

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,254 of 1,838
  Not sure about Euro plug sockets. Here in NA, an ungrounded outlet will not provide surge protection. I think you would need to find a way of grounding the CMX bar.

Read thru this thread:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/should-i-even-bother-with-a-power-conditioner-with-ungrounded-outlets.228182/

Keep in mind, that's an American site.

Won't be safe from surges regardless in this old house. As long as the filtering works that's I'll I care about for the time being. I might try to find a way to pull a cable from one of the few grounded sockets to my setup though. I've had my PC go wonky for several months due to a nearby lightning strike, now I unplug every time the forecast predicts lightning/thunderstorms in my area.

I'll try to find a power conditioned that I can buy in Norway, because of import taxes and Norways absolutely gutted currency atm.

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,255 of 1,838
  Bandwidth is now adjustable via jumpers on the amp board, no need to order one or the other.

This is incorrect.
It is the one most commonly misunderstood piece of information in this thread!

You pick either mellow or aggressive at time of ordering.

Regardless of what you get, there are 3 bandwidth options. High bandwidth has no rolloff so it's the same on both models.

Low bandwidth on mellow is less of a rolloff than mid bandwidth on aggressive. Check out the graphs and see for yourself. the three lines are the three selectable bandwidths.

you do not select b/w mellow or aggressive.

I've seen this misinformation posted dozens of times over the months in this thread. I'm not yelling at you bixby, i've just explained this a few times already :wink:

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #1,256 of 1,838
  I'll try to find a power conditioned that I can buy in Norway, because of import taxes and Norways absolutely gutted currency atm.

Gutted currency? Norway has an oil revenue reserve fund that's the envy of Canadians. But I digress....

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #1,257 of 1,838
  Won't be safe from surges regardless in this old house. As long as the filtering works that's I'll I care about for the time being. I might try to find a way to pull a cable from one of the few grounded sockets to my setup though. I've had my PC go wonky for several months due to a nearby lightning strike, now I unplug every time the forecast predicts lightning/thunderstorms in my area.

Highly rec you get surge protection. It protects your investments in gear!

If you haven't yet, get in touch with jeremy about the hum.

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,258 of 1,838
  Gutted currency? Norway has an oil revenue reserve fund that's the envy of Canadians. But I digress....

It's not like we're poor all of a sudden, but I paid about 30% more for the Polaris than I would have if I bought it before the oil prices dropped. And I will send Jeremy an e-mail right now.

Thanks for the help to all of you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,259 of 1,838

This is incorrect.
It is the one most commonly misunderstood piece of information in this thread!

You pick either mellow or aggressive at time of ordering.

Regardless of what you get, there are 3 bandwidth options. High bandwidth has no rolloff so it's the same on both models.

Low bandwidth on mellow is less of a rolloff than mid bandwidth on aggressive. Check out the graphs and see for yourself. the three lines are the three selectable bandwidths.

you do not select b/w mellow or aggressive.

I've seen this misinformation posted dozens of times over the months in this thread. I'm not yelling at you bixby, i've just explained this a few times already :wink:

You are correct, I must have just missed that since I ordered after some emails with Jeremy and without using the storefront, so sorry for the bad info.  And Jeremy knew all about my tastes, so I know he went with the (default) aggressive for my amp.

Glad you caught that, I hate spreading bad juju 
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #1,260 of 1,838
  You are correct, I must have just missed that since I ordered after some emails with Jeremy and without using the storefront, so sorry for the bad info.  And Jeremy knew all about my tastes, so I know he went with the (default) aggressive for my amp.

Glad you caught that, I hate spreading bad juju 
redface.gif

Hey! no worries man.

No bad juju!

The mellow/aggressive thing is pretty confusing. It took me a couple days of research and some emails back and forth to understand what the real difference was.

No bad feelings!!!! It's all good.

My post did look pretty mean with the bold text and all. sorry about that  didnt meant to scare ya :)

most importantly enjoy it when it shows up!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back