New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Mar 1, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,278 of 1,838
  I just gone to buy now the polaris take the mellow or the agrassive? i saw the difference in graphs but i still dont know what is better

do the mellow. highs are more intact, less roll-off as you can see from the graph. you can always adjust the amp settings to blunt really harsh highs on bad recs.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,279 of 1,838

do the mellow. highs are more intact, less roll-off as you can see from the graph. you can always adjust the amp settings to blunt really harsh highs on bad recs.

I second this, I personally am super treble sensitive yet I find myself using medium bandwidth the most. I was worried it might not be enough rolloff for me, but now I can't imagine I'd like how aggressively the aggressive option rolls off highs.

All up to personal preference and equipment & music used should all be taken into account. There is no right or wrong.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #1,280 of 1,838
I went with Agressive and still use low bandwidth with my beyer dt 770 pro so I can really drive that bass without harsh trebles. I'd say it depends on what headphones you're using and whether you are treble sensitive.

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #1,281 of 1,838
I have aggressive and usually leave the bandwidth on high. Very occasionally I use the mid setting for over-bright strings and once or twice with badly remastered recordings from the '60's I've use the low setting.
I suspect the ear adapts to whatever it gets used to anyway.
The term 'aggressive' sounds massive but it's a misnomer and I think somewhat misleading as it is still only a small reduction compared to graphic equaliser settings.
Looking at the graphs I'm surprised many people can hear much difference with the mid setting of the mellow version. The changes in the audible frequencies look miniscule.
Actually, I thought I read somewhere that the mid setting of the mellow version has something to do with NOS DAC's. Maybe I'm imagining that.
I guess what I'm agreeing is if you are sensitive to treble you are better with 'aggressive', otherwise it may not matter very much as both appear to sound excellent.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #1,283 of 1,838
  Im use the hd 650.

with those you could go with mellow or aggressive. So it just comes down to your preference.

-Do you want the highs/trebles to be slightly toned down? Aggressive

-Do you want the highs/trebles to be mostly unchanged? Mellow

Remember the Amp also has Bandwidth jumpers to further tune the sound to your liking.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #1,284 of 1,838
  with those you could go with mellow or aggressive. So it just comes down to your preference.

-Do you want the highs/trebles to be slightly toned down? Aggressive

-Do you want the highs/trebles to be mostly unchanged? Mellow

Remember the Amp also has Bandwidth jumpers to further tune the sound to your liking.

The aggressive will only tone down the treble if you move the jumpers off the standard 'high' setting. In that setting, they're the same. With HD650, there's just absolutely no reason to ever tone down the treble (at least pre-2010 HD650).

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #1,286 of 1,838
  I'm sensitive to harsh sound but with the hd 650 the sound more dark then treble but in some songs it can be treble to much.
It's really confusing what to take...

If you find even the HD650 can give too much treble I personally would go for the aggressive version. Why don't you contact Jeremy and ask his advice? If you are not happy I would think he could change the version for you anyway.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #1,288 of 1,838
  If you find even the HD650 can give too much treble I personally would go for the aggressive version. Why don't you contact Jeremy and ask his advice? If you are not happy I would think he could change the version for you anyway.

I spoke with Jeremy and he told me that he uses aggressive and he told me just the aggressive adds more roll off for bright sounding headphones like you said. 
ok guys thanks for the help i probably go with the aggressive one, i just need a recommendation to the good rca cable that connects to polaris from the stx.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,289 of 1,838
  I spoke with Jeremy and he told me that he uses aggressive and he told me just the aggressive adds more roll off for bright sounding headphones like you said. 
ok guys thanks for the help i probably go with the aggressive one, i just need a recommendation to the good rca cable that connects to polaris from the stx.
smile_phones.gif

I liked aggressive personally. You can go from dead neutral to reasonably rolled off.

As for RCA cables, I always use Blue Jeans RCA cables. If you want to go cheap, Kabeldirekt is your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back