New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Nov 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #466 of 1,838
Initial impression is very, very good. The Polaris has enough horsepower to drive the 560s with room to spare. Again, I haven't tried running with no input attenuation so the additional headroom available is unknown. I can say that with attenuation you can get to hearing damage volume.

I am tremendously pleased with the sound. Everything I have thrown at this combination is jaw dropping good. Fast, agile, nimble - every subtly is there. Firm, even sneaky bass. Not at all overblown. An overall feeling of untapped power ready to jump into action when needed.

In short, I'm keeping this combination. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Them guys over at the HE560 thread really need a tour model to try with theirs. It's an incredible combo 

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #467 of 1,838
They will have someone in the Greater Birmingham area after the first of the year. I'll be glad to do a demo around here. The next closest person I know of with similar gear is about 100 miles north in Huntsville.

I'm a busy guy this time of year.

Girls love Santa and Santa loves girls!

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #468 of 1,838
Had my Polaris burning in with pink noise for 24 hours now and I'm pretty happy so far. I've got a R1.0 board with trace mods to R1.1 specs (S/N 0047). Start up delay is about 7 seconds, but doesn't particularly bother me. It's taken a bit to find the best settings for my HD598's though. It's a balancing act between bass response, mid gain and ambience. I think I've settled on 'with input attenuation', 'high bandwidth', 'mid gain' and 'high output resistance'. This seems to produce the most balanced tone, keeping the bass tight, the mids are crunchy (but not harsh) and ambience/headroom is intact. I was running with mid output resistance and low gain for for a while but the bass was a bit dominant and the mids recessed.

I also tried with my v-JAYS and had to use 'low output resistance' and 'low gain' , however the mids were still a little harsh. The v-JAYS are 24 Ohm, so I can understand the "32 - 600 Ohm recommended" in the Project Polaris manual. I think I'll keep the v-Jays paired with my FiiO E12 as they compliment each other better.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #470 of 1,838
One of my minute gripes about the Polaris was the condition of the top of the thumbscrews. I'm a hobby machinist and the finish just wasn't up to the quality this amp deserves.

The top one is just a mess. The second has the a protrusion in the middle. That is caused by the cutoff tool not being aligned with the center of the thumbscrew. The bottom two look like something had been stamped there and an attempt was made to grind it off.

Jeremy has assured me that these parts are American made and not stamped CHINA. Today, I've sanded the thumbscrews level and bead blasted them for a nice matte finish.

On a disappointing note, as I went to enter this thought I was greeted by this ad.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #471 of 1,838
The Beats Solo2 is a very good headphone. Nothing wrong with that ad.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #472 of 1,838
Disregard.

When I feel I need an amp, I'm certain the Polaris will be that amp.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #473 of 1,838
Subbed, I am in thanks to Jeremy's explanations and Q&A.
Polaris v1.1 to be here in a week or so, will connect to Concero HD, HE-560. Then some IEMs and NAD HP50.
Hope it can handle the kitchen sink ha!

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #475 of 1,838

You get out of here.

ah yes, the glorious turkish tapestry that is the welcome mat unfurled by AxelC, thanks man!
beerchug.gif

well guess what, Polaris 1.1 already arrived!  had a day of (powerful) listening with iFi micro iDSD DAC feeding it, Polaris indeed appears to be one sweet amp.
a smidgen of warmer distortion makes for some smooth listening overall, a goal of Jeremy's obviously.  check.

almost limitless tweak-ability?  check.
NAD HP50 don't need much power, and even on low gain was not past 9-10am on the dial.  still, a good pairing as Polaris speed lends to HP50 I feel.

IEMs- seemingly good, but low gain power too much.
so guess what?
Jeremy wakes me up and says "heya, see that attenuator module there? it's field replaceable!"
so he's jacking me up some wetware modules of resisters that can slot in to further reduce the electro-harmonic power on days when IEMs need less crystal juice.
cool.
such power versatility very welcome until some used 400i or new Oppo-PM3 drop into my lap in 2015 for work use.

I won't even begin the "excellent value for the budget" argument- as it could likely still be applied if Polaris was overpriced by 2x.
more after the Holidaze,

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #476 of 1,838
  I won't even begin the "excellent value for the budget" argument- as it could likely still be applied if Polaris was overpriced by 2x.
more after the Holidaze,

IEMs- seemingly good, but low gain power too much.
so guess what?
Jeremy wakes me up and says "heya, see that attenuator module there? it's field replaceable!"
so he's jacking me up some wetware modules of resisters that can slot in to further reduce the electro-harmonic power

Seriously, if Jeremy put the Polaris inside a nice aluminum chassis everyone would be losing their Schiit over them. (See what I did there?)  Anyways welcome to the club and enjoy one of the most undervalued/under-rated amps on the market.

As for this attenuator module, is this the incoming line attenuator?

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #477 of 1,838
  Seriously, if Jeremy put the Polaris inside a nice aluminum chassis everyone would be losing their Schiit over them. (See what I did there?)  Anyways welcome to the club and enjoy one of the most undervalued/under-rated amps on the market.

As for this attenuator module, is this the incoming line attenuator?

Cheers!

1.  ditto on Polaris not having the hype train of Schist amps.  too bad actually.  someone on FS forum is selling a Polaris and stated he'd trade for an Asgard 2.  pfft.

2. yes, incoming line attenuator.  C17 on the board schematics.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #479 of 1,838
I think the problem with having a full enclosure is the cost. Jeremy is trying to offer real value for money here and in my opinion, he really does. Putting it in an enclose will raise the price which is not what he wants to do.

However, there would be benefits with regards to problems with airborne noise like mobile phones.

Given that many people are put off products by the case, a good looker might be expensive and many would turn their nose up at a standard aluminium case.

Given that it can be bought as a diy project, then there's not really anything stopping people putting it in a case if they want. For the rest of us less talented mortals, it's a higher price or as it currently is.

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #480 of 1,838
Thing is, if they offer the amps with metal cases more people would look at them, of course pay the extra too. An additional $50 on the price tag isn't going to turn people away, specially when there are plenty of nods from the community on the amps. This is catering to the non-diy of course. So they have a $300ish Polaris in a nice case and people will be more enticed to try them, word gets around and people will mention these amps more. At the same time the plexiglass versions stay where they're at for those who are more enticed by sound than metallic aesthetics, which still keeps the value aspect for those just caring of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back