New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Aug 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #91 of 1,838
@drews Yeah sadly it doesn't have a digital output anywhere :frowning2: I think it might be due to the smaller overall size that they just ran out of room, considering how much room the massive fans take up!

Thanks, everyone!

The digital output on my Asus G73 (and my Macbook Pros) is also the headphone output - if you plug in an optical cable you get digital output...

headphone->Toslink cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-8M-TosLink-Male-to-3-5mm-Male-Digital-Optical-Stereo-Audio-Adapter-Cable-Lead-/360884527968?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item540664e360

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #92 of 1,838

The digital output on my Asus G73 (and my Macbook Pros) is also the headphone output - if you plug in an optical cable you get digital output...

headphone->Toslink cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-8M-TosLink-Male-to-3-5mm-Male-Digital-Optical-Stereo-Audio-Adapter-Cable-Lead-/360884527968?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item540664e360

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm a total novice at this stuff (and sorry for the thread jack), but wouldn't the quality still be the same as if I plugged headphones straight into the jack? Or is it totally changed because the output being digital will circumvent the internal DAC and just be 1's and 0's that the external DAC will convert?

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #93 of 1,838

I had them install a blue LED...
I may well look for something that is yellow/orange/red mix  for just that reason.
If I am not swapping tubes, not a bad idea to get that nice glow out of it
:)

Does the LED light simply pull out of a socket or is it soldered into place? I was thinking of buying a set of different coloured bulbs from Jeremy and swapping them around according to my mood!

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #94 of 1,838

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm a total novice at this stuff (and sorry for the thread jack), but wouldn't the quality still be the same as if I plugged headphones straight into the jack? Or is it totally changed because the output being digital will circumvent the internal DAC and just be 1's and 0's that the external DAC will convert?

The latter.  You would circumvent the internal DAC and amp (which can be low quality and noisy on many laptops).

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #95 of 1,838
  @Amish
I like the open design of the Polaris and the fact it has a good strong LED, whose colour can be changed, may make me think it's a tube amp
dt880smile.png

@HOWIE13 I'm actually not going to be looking any further at all for amps! Polaris has been ordered so now just the wait!

@Amish I have considered that but it will be a bit pricier than I would like. Now I will say this to your question, the open look of all the Garage1217 amps is what drew me there! So intriguing to look at. Can't get over it!

I too love the open design. It is what attracted me to Garage1217 amps in the first place. I had mine built by them and I have to say they do an impeccable job!

I chose a purple light for my Polaris because it matches all my Analysis Plus oval one cables. lol My Ember has an adjustable light and it too is set to purple.

At one point I was using orange which adds to the glow of the tube...looks old school but this thread is not about the Ember....

You are going to love this amp GreenMachine. Good choice! Make sure to play with all the adjustable settings. They all make a difference in output.

The only thing that an enclosed case has over this open design of Garage1217 amps is keeping them clean. Dust gets in there and you have to clean it every once in awhile. Where as an enclosed case is so much easier to clean.

I do keep mine covered though when not in use which helps with dust.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #96 of 1,838
  Does the LED light simply pull out of a socket or is it soldered into place? I was thinking of buying a set of different coloured bulbs from Jeremy and swapping them around according to my mood!

The light can be changed easily without soldering.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #97 of 1,838

I haven't pulled to cover yet, but the manual indicates that the LED is easily changed. I think it has a socket.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #98 of 1,838

Yes you replace the internal DAC with the USB DAC. You route the bits directly to the USB DAC, You will also avoid going through the headphone amp on the laptop. They call this "double amping ". It is usually considered to be something to avoid if possible. If you get a DAC with a true line out, that will be a better match for the input on the Polaris as well.

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #100 of 1,838
Thanks again everyone! Really helped me clear up some questions I had. For now I'm just going to be running the Polaris straight out of the headphone jack (already have a 3.5-RCA cable) and then down the road when money permits, I'll snag a DAC.

@Amish I'll be rocking the Purple/UV as well! Though I'm tempted to order all the colors to change them around whenever I get bored of one! Can't wait for this thing to come in now! Anxious as can be

Edit:
I will say, one just can't beat the Purple

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #103 of 1,838
I'm leaning all over the Polaris kit and considering pairing it with the Hifiman HE-400i. On paper, it seems like a good combination but I would appreciate any thoughts.

The other amp that has held my attention is the Graham Slee Novo. I had considered the Schitt Asgard2, but have come to believe it may be slightly harsh for my taste.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #104 of 1,838
I have been using the Demo HE-4001 for several days with the Polaris driven through my ODAC or Meridian Explorer. I like either combination very well.
I have been listening on and off while I am running music through the 400i. I have not taken time to completely analyze things yet, but I fired them up using the Polaris and my first reaction was.... WOW. I have cranked the thing for short periods and notice no distortion at what I consider to be ear damaging levels. The amp comfortably drives the 400i at what I consider my max comfort SPL for long term listening at about 10 O'clock on the pot.

I have several other Amps and DACs to try, but so far I haven't been motivated by anything lacking to do that. The HE-400i with the Polaris just makes me enjoy listening to music. I am sensitive to "harsh".. nothing in this setup has put me off in that regard. As of now, I am thinking that you can't do much better at the price point than the Polaris (including any of the Shiit gear that I have heard).

I have no experience with the Graham Slee Novo.

I am coming from HD 600, HD650, HP50, X1 level of headphones, just as a reference.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #105 of 1,838
Thanks mandrake,

That's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. The added attraction of building my own Polaris has me chomping at the bit to own it. I keep wondering what will be the worse thing I will hear about this amp. There has to be something negative.

The Novo is fading a little from consideration. I have an ex-wife in England that was a lot of trouble. Maybe that amp needs to stay over there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back