New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Aug 17, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #62 of 1,838
Thanks.Mandrake 50. 
I suppose, also, there isn't the warm up time you have to wait before a tube sounds at it's best. I have some ECC88 Mullards that improve over 2 hours, though most of my vintage tubes sound at pretty much their peak after about 30 mins. Do SS Amps like the Polaris sound at their best very soon after switching on or is warm up time still needed?

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #63 of 1,838
  Thanks.Mandrake 50. 
I suppose, also, there isn't the warm up time you have to wait before a tube sounds at it's best. I have some ECC88 Mullards that improve over 2 hours, though most of my vintage tubes sound at pretty much their peak after about 30 mins. Do SS Amps like the Polaris sound at their best very soon after switching on or is warm up time still needed?

Jeremy said the Polaris runs very cool. I would think that it should stabilize pretty quickly. To be honest, with Solid State gear I haven't noticed much change over time with warm up.
I just got the tracking info for mine. It should be here tomorrow. I will find out more once I get time to listen to it. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #65 of 1,838
  The Polaris will allow you to hear every detail and extend deep in the 20-30hz area while giving good and tight impact. The Ember on the other hand has less control in this section and also has more bloom/decay in the bass.

I'd like to comment on the above statement. Have you tried any other tubes? I have found that some tubes can actually tighten up the bass of the ember. I'm wondering what tubes you have to test with and what you think of those?

I have not experienced any less control, bloom or decay with the Ember compared to the Polaris but I think it comes down to the tube. I've found that vintage bugle boys (12ax7 and 6dj8) really improve the bass and tighten things up compared to some of my other tubes and the 12at7 (telefunken being my fav) really performs well with the entire FR but adds a broader sound stage. Of the several Telefunkens I own one of them provides and almost 3d effect.

I will add that both these amps are really well done. Depending on the tube they can sound quite alike. The stock 12au7 J&J tube that arrived with my Ember is a good example. Side by side with the Polaris they both sound almost identical. But swap in a good 12at7 or 12ax7 and the Ember pulls ahead. More musical and lush. I can easily lose myself in my music then.

Anyways...I'm rambling.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #66 of 1,838

I'd like to comment on the above statement. Have you tried any other tubes? I have found that some tubes can actually tighten up the bass of the ember. I'm wondering what tubes you have to test with and what you think of those?

I have not experienced any less control, bloom or decay with the Ember compared to the Polaris but I think it comes down to the tube. I've found that vintage bugle boys (12ax7 and 6dj8) really improve the bass and tighten things up compared to some of my other tubes and the 12at7 (telefunken being my fav) really performs well with the entire FR but adds a broader sound stage. Of the several Telefunkens I own one of them provides and almost 3d effect.

I will add that both these amps are really well done. Depending on the tube they can sound quite alike. The stock 12au7 J&J tube that arrived with my Ember is a good example. Side by side with the Polaris they both sound almost identical. But swap in a good 12at7 or 12ax7 and the Ember pulls ahead. More musical and lush. I can easily lose myself in my music then.

Anyways...I'm rambling.

I think I also enjoyed the Telefunken 12AT7 on the Sunrise 2. Very clear and almost solid state sounding. How do these two amps compare regarding quietness? Whilst I loved the musicality of the Sunrise 2 the EMI interference and noise got to me sometimes. Its one reason why I have the Polaris on top of my list so far. Have you played with the bandwidth settings on Polaris?

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #67 of 1,838
I also have a Sylvania red and RCA 1970s BH7 purchased NOS (mine was the supercharged Ember). The Sylvania did in fact add a greater soundstage and imaging making it better in that dept but none of my tube were able to place bass detail on my HE560s like the solid state. The 560s probably have the tightest and fastest bass on any headphone I've tried so far (ortho bass with detail is an experience to be had, tickles the right stuff for me).. but the tubes, at least mine, lessens details in the bass region. Not drastically of course but the subtleties are audible. To put into comparison, details/speed/tightness in the bass of the 560s are some of the cleanest I've heard to date but now I'm a broken record.

Anyways...I'm rambling.

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #68 of 1,838
The Polaris has a black background. The Ember with the right tube was quiet too except for the stock tube that was an unknown brand, that went in the bin.

I think I also enjoyed the Telefunken 12AT7 on the Sunrise 2. Very clear and almost solid state sounding. How do these two amps compare regarding quietness? Whilst I loved the musicality of the Sunrise 2 the EMI interference and noise got to me sometimes. Its one reason why I have the Polaris on top of my list so far. Have you played with the bandwidth settings on Polaris?

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #69 of 1,838

Both these amps have a black back ground. BUT the Ember can suffer from EMI depending on the tube. I've found that some 12AX tubes can suffer EMI but most of my tubes do not. The Polaris has never been affected by EMI in my experience.

I have played around with the bandwidth adjustment but only once. This really helps with sensitive in ears but I haven't really tested that out. I will later though if you want. Adjusting the bandwidth can help with bright headphones (and does with my Grado 325's) It basically just lowers the db levels in the upper FR range.

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #70 of 1,838
This is getting to be quite a tough decision, love the versatility of tube rolling vs the single solid state sound without interference... Think I'll probably pick up the Polaris kit and get ready to start soldering!

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #71 of 1,838
That sounds like a plan. I totally prefer music with the Ember but the Polaris is damn nice too.

I will say that I rarely have to deal with EMI. The only time it happens is if I put my cell phone next to the amp and I get a text. lol
It doesn't pickup any other EMI so far. Just my cell phone. That is solved by moving the cell phone though. And like I already stated, it completely depends on the tube. Some tubes are more sensitive to EMI than others.

If you end up modding the Polaris I will be interested in seeing and reading what you do and how it works.

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #72 of 1,838
  Apologize for the delay in write-up.  The difference between the two really relies on the tube being used and you can definitely tell that the design of both amps would make them siblings and less like cousins (as I’d presume between one of the two amps and an earlier model). With both being flagships of Garage 1217 and being excellent for the money being clean, powerful, and flexible with different headphones and their sensitivities. My most transparent tube without adding much sound coloration to the frequency is the Tungsram so comparing was done with that with the incoming caps bypassed.

Clearly both had enough power to drive the 50ohm HE560 (at 2W)! Low gain on the Polaris, the 560 would be at 70-80db around 11 o’clock for newer masters  and 12-1 o’clock for classicals and lower output mastering. Whereas the Ember seem to be in medium gain, even if it was the jumpers were set to low, in comparison to volume pot position in comparison to the Polaris. This could be an effect of the tube and gain properties.. basically subtracting 1 hour on the volume pot to equal the Polaris in sound level.

Although not used in the comparison, the Polaris has a nice feature similar to a pre-amp in that it can attenuate the incoming line-in to lower the volume even further for those sensitive HPs and IEMS and to allow a bit more volume travel. I would presume this to change the sound somewhat but I honestly couldn’t hear the difference but just an overall attenuation of all frequencies, still very clean sound out at a lower volume.

Both amps has excellent soundstage, the Polaris has equivalent width as the Ember being wide with an out-of-the-head experience on the 560s. The ember however adds a bit of effect to this soundstage and imaging via decay/distortion. When the back end of the sound extends, there’s an effect that mimics a different room where the Polaris would be like sitting in a dampened room and the Ember would be sitting in a hardwood floor and the sound bounces creating an effect of decay. Nothing drastic but the extra touch can be perceived as added soundstage and depth. Also some tubes (like my Sylvania BH7) has even wider soundstage than the Tungsram. Not so much depth but more so on width, this is one advantage on the Ember where you can change characteristics of the sound and frequency response.

Separation and clarity on both amps are outstanding, the 560s really shine with both amps. Following instruments is a breeze, pick an instrument and hear all the detail/nuisance. The Polaris does this a little better than the Ember in part because of it’s speed and tightness. The Polari’s speed is a definite step above the Ember but depending on taste, this can be taken as a good or bad thing (tube vs ss). This can be heard more dramatically on bass (want speed and detailed bass? get the 560). The Polaris will allow you to hear every detail and extend deep in the 20-30hz area while giving good and tight impact. The Ember on the other hand has less control in this section and also has more bloom/decay in the bass. Depending on the headphone, in this case the 560, one can perceive the Polaris leaning more towards the analytical side but still keeping musicality. Whereas the Polaris is accurate and tight, the Ember adds that musicality of a nice decay and sustain.

More to come:

If you guys want to get interactive and ask questions, I'll reserve the next slot.

Thanks for your feedback!

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #73 of 1,838
I will say I'm in the same boat as daerron with tube rolling vs SS. I'm stuck between the Sunrise III or the Polaris though it seems like I'm leaning more towards the Polaris. My setup is my on-board DAC ( I couldn't tell the difference from it and a friends Fiio E10 other than the E10 was able to crank out more power) and HE400 headphones. Would you all think the Polaris will give the more superior and future proof setup? Jeremy said either would be great so of course I'm stuck between them. Tubes for rolling, or SS for the all out power and clarity? Also how do you all deal with dust from it being open? A puff of compressed air or just a lint-free rag?

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #74 of 1,838
  I will say I'm in the same boat as daerron with tube rolling vs SS. I'm stuck between the Sunrise III or the Polaris though it seems like I'm leaning more towards the Polaris. My setup is my on-board DAC ( I couldn't tell the difference from it and a friends Fiio E10 other than the E10 was able to crank out more power) and HE400 headphones. Would you all think the Polaris will give the more superior and future proof setup? Jeremy said either would be great so of course I'm stuck between them. Tubes for rolling, or SS for the all out power and clarity? Also how do you all deal with dust from it being open? A puff of compressed air or just a lint-free rag?

A puff or two of compressed air is perfect..... I have the ember and i am totally satisfied.... With the tubes you have a more flexible possibilities to adapt the amp to multiple headphones and to your ears and the pleasure to see the glowing tubes transform the machine in a living beast....Best regards

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #75 of 1,838

I'm going to always vote for the Ember or in your case the Sunrise III because I prefer tubes. The Ember has all the clarity that the Polaris has. I've not used the Sunrise III so I can't comment on how it performs and sounds but knowing what I know I would buy it over the Polaris if only because I really love rolling tubes. The Polaris is the more powerful unit between it and the Sunrise III but looking at the specs and output chart the Sunrise III is no slouch.

If I were you I'd consider the Ember or Polaris instead. And if cost is a factor then the Polaris might be the best option. It's amazingly priced for such an outstanding little amp.

I use some compressed air and a camera lens puff brush to clean. I also keep it covered when not in use.

As for DACs, well each to their own but I can tell the difference between the dedicated DAC's I've used. I will say that it can make a difference in your music for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back