New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #1,758 of 1,838
@M-83 Hey what's up

As far as I know it can reduce the decibals but technically Im not sure how it does it. When I had my G1217 amps I always found myself messing with the jumpers to really hone in on the sound I wanted. But I was using 150 ohm and 300 ohm headphones, so that makes a difference of course.

On a side note, I do think these amps benefit after being on for about an hour. Just my own speculation :)

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #1,759 of 1,838
@M-83 Hey what's up

As far as I know it can reduce the decibals but technically Im not sure how it does it. When I had my G1217 amps I always found myself messing with the jumpers to really hone in on the sound I wanted. But I was using 150 ohm and 300 ohm headphones, so that makes a difference of course.

On a side note, I do think these amps benefit after being on for about an hour. Just my own speculation :)
Hey.

Ok interesting thanks.

Now you mention it - I think you are right about benefitting from being on for a while.

The only small bugbear I have with the Polaris is that the resistance jumper near the headphone jack does not fit snugly on the pins. There is a small amount of play in it... I would prefer physically sliding switches rather than the jumpers.

At some point I may grab an Ember II to compare directly with the Polaris. I had an Ember years ago and still have Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 Tubes from when I had a Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2 a few years back.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #1,760 of 1,838
I'm not sure what to suggest to be honest.

Give it a bit of time to see if it warms and opens up with use.

I have been pleased with mine even on line out and very impressed with Schiit Modi 3.

Apologies for answering the question that was directed to you... I'm using my small smartphone screen at the moment and thought you were asking me which model headphone I'm using!
It's ok we use the same headphone anyway so the answer is the same anyway LOLLL.
Also on the back right jumpers, switch to w/o attenuation module and see how that plays out. Also, Jeremy is always respondent through emails so reach out to him if you need to!
Yeah I'll give it one more day, if it doesn't improve I'll shoot him a message, thanks for the help guys!

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #1,761 of 1,838
Also on the back right jumpers, switch to w/o attenuation module and see how that plays out. Also, Jeremy is always respondent through emails so reach out to him if you need to!
HOLYCRAP this does it!!!

I switch to without the module, now everything is back full force. Though according to manual with low gain now I'm changing it from 2.2x to 4.5x, though in practice it's not that much louder. But I do have to use volume slightly below 9:00, like now I have to use like 8:30 or something.

I should still message Jeremy though, why does with the module it just sounded so bad. Like I swear running straight off Dragonfly Red sounds better than running through Dragonfly Red + Project Polaris. And I started to wonder wonder why does everyone rave this amp so much when it sounded terrible LOL.

But yeah definitely gonna shoot Jeremy a message to see if this is normal.

Thanks again for helping me out!!!

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #1,762 of 1,838
HOLYCRAP this does it!!!

I switch to without the module, now everything is back full force. Though according to manual with low gain now I'm changing it from 2.2x to 4.5x, though in practice it's not that much louder. But I do have to use volume slightly below 9:00, like now I have to use like 8:30 or something.

I should still message Jeremy though, why does with the module it just sounded so bad. Like I swear running straight off Dragonfly Red sounds better than running through Dragonfly Red + Project Polaris. And I started to wonder wonder why does everyone rave this amp so much when it sounded terrible LOL.

I may be wrong but I think it's to do with the signal strength coming into "line in", and by changing the setting you have removed a limit on this.

My guess is that your PC line out and dragonfly red are not optimal in this capability thus removing the limit opens it up.

Check with Jeremy though he's a great guy, very helpful and attentive.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #1,763 of 1,838
I may be wrong but I think it's to do with the signal strength coming into "line in", and by changing the setting you have removed a limit on this.

My guess is that your PC line out and dragonfly red are not optimal in this capability thus removing the limit opens it up.

Check with Jeremy though he's a great guy, very helpful and attentive.
Yeah now that looking back, I think typically line out has different impedance rating as oppose to headphone out (Dragonfly Red), not sure if that messes with anything. My electrical knowledge is quite crap so I don't know much regarding this.

I've sent Jeremy a message so I'll see what he says. But I almost suspect I might need a dedicated dac with line out to work with the attenuation module properly maybe.

In the mean time I'll use without the module lol.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #1,764 of 1,838
Yeah now that looking back, I think typically line out has different impedance rating as oppose to headphone out (Dragonfly Red), not sure if that messes with anything. My electrical knowledge is quite crap so I don't know much regarding this.

I've sent Jeremy a message so I'll see what he says. But I almost suspect I might need a dedicated dac with line out to work with the attenuation module properly maybe.

In the mean time I'll use without the module lol.
My Modi 3 has a line out impedance of 75ohms. I could tell immediately that using a Dac was far better than line out from the PC. If using Windows 10, there is no need for drivers- you connect usb and off you go.

Decent DAC options that are sensibly priced are Schiit Modi 3 (and Modi 3+), Topping E30, Khardas Tone board, and ifi Zen Dac.

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #1,765 of 1,838
HOLYCRAP this does it!!!

I've just tried this and yes it increases the gain. It's quite a jump. I reverted back to using the module after a quick A/B, then tried it again and I prefer without the module like you do.

I have read that ideally the vol pot wants to be at 9 o'clock or above. I generally can't listen above 10 o'clock on low gain with my D2000 as it's too loud.

Also, may make a difference for you to use "exclusive mode" on streaming app services so windows does not interfere (see attached pic of how this looks in Amazon Music).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-17 111039.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-17 111039.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,766 of 1,838
Gosh you guys make me want to pick up a new Polaris hahaha

The first time I had a Polaris I was using a measly Fiio D3 for a dac and wasn't getting the true potential. That was a few years back and I can't imagine how it would sound now with my Motu M2.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #1,768 of 1,838
My Modi 3 has a line out impedance of 75ohms. I could tell immediately that using a Dac was far better than line out from the PC. If using Windows 10, there is no need for drivers- you connect usb and off you go.

Decent DAC options that are sensibly priced are Schiit Modi 3 (and Modi 3+), Topping E30, Khardas Tone board, and ifi Zen Dac.
lol yeah I'm literally just waiting till Monday so I can get a reply back from Jeremy then see where to go from there. But I'm like 90% convinced I'll need a dac anyway but I want to hear from him first. :p

Also Canada sucks for dac options, things like Schiit and Khadas Tone Board are basically imports (expensive) so I might have to resort to Amazon choices. Currently looking at SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII or SMSL M100 MKII (I know I pick unpopular dac choices LOLLL).

Though now that I turned off the attenuation module it sounds great even with Dragonfly Red. I could survive with this for 1 more day lol.
I've just tried this and yes it increases the gain. It's quite a jump. I reverted back to using the module after a quick A/B, then tried it again and I prefer without the module like you do.

I have read that ideally the vol pot wants to be at 9 o'clock or above. I generally can't listen above 10 o'clock on low gain with my D2000 as it's too loud.

Also, may make a difference for you to use "exclusive mode" on streaming app services so windows does not interfere (see attached pic of how this looks in Amazon Music).
I use Spotify and can't find exclusive mode, but I did turn off all the normalization options so hopefully that helps lol.
Gosh you guys make me want to pick up a new Polaris hahaha

The first time I had a Polaris I was using a measly Fiio D3 for a dac and wasn't getting the true potential. That was a few years back and I can't imagine how it would sound now with my Motu M2.
I do have FiiO D3K so I could re-imagine your life for you if you want LOL.

Jan 20, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #1,769 of 1,838
Here's some update, my new dac came in and it totally fixed the issue with the attenuation module. Now I can use it with no problem and it sounds great too!

Moral of the story, Dragonfly Red is not proper substitution for a dac. I guess headphone out vs line out is indeed different.

This might be the stupidest thing but I'm super impressed at how small the dac is LOLLLL. Also granted I haven't heard any other standalone dac yet so I don't know how it compares but so far it sounds really nice.

I did find though sound signature wise, Dragonfly Red is warmer and more lush than SMSL M100 MKII + Project Polaris which is more precise and better sense of 3D space.

Signature wise I still like Dragonfly Red (on D2000, pretty sure it's different on other headphone) but technicality wise SMSL M100 MKII + Project Polaris is much cleaner / precise.

PXL_20210120_144123514.jpg

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #1,770 of 1,838
Here's some update, my new dac came in and it totally fixed the issue with the attenuation module. Now I can use it with no problem and it sounds great too!

Moral of the story, Dragonfly Red is not proper substitution for a dac. I guess headphone out vs line out is indeed different.

This might be the stupidest thing but I'm super impressed at how small the dac is LOLLLL. Also granted I haven't heard any other standalone dac yet so I don't know how it compares but so far it sounds really nice.

I did find though sound signature wise, Dragonfly Red is warmer and more lush than SMSL M100 MKII + Project Polaris which is more precise and better sense of 3D space.

Signature wise I still like Dragonfly Red (on D2000, pretty sure it's different on other headphone) but technicality wise SMSL M100 MKII + Project Polaris is much cleaner / precise.

PXL_20210120_144123514.jpg
Glad you have the issue sorted and you are happy with SQ.

Yeah Dragonfly Red is warm. I feel similar in comparing ifi Zen dac lush warm with Modi 3 more precise.

I still aim to one day be upgrading to Schiit Lyr 3 with multibit dac. Should get back some nice warm tube lushness. That's a way off though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back