New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Jan 10, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #1,741 of 1,838
Interestingly, I've changed from aftermarket pads (likely Geeria) to like-new stock pads and sound has improved as has the seal around my ear.

I wear glasses so I hope the pads wont misshape the pad.

I'm assuming stock pads are very hard to come by.

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,742 of 1,838
Interestingly, I've changed from aftermarket pads (likely Geeria) to like-new stock pads and sound has improved as has the seal around my ear.

I wear glasses so I hope the pads wont misshape the pad.

I'm assuming stock pads are very hard to come by.
From what I read is that D2000/D5000 (not sure about D7000) uses carbon foam (softer, more airy) as oppose to most modern earpads uses memory foam which changes the sound (in this case, for the worse).

And it's been extremely hard finding an earpad that sound exactly the same (despite looking identical physically).

I wear glasses too and haven't had a problem so far.

So hold on to the stock pad with your dear life lol. 😆

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #1,743 of 1,838
From what I read is that D2000/D5000 (not sure about D7000) uses carbon foam (softer, more airy) as oppose to most modern earpads uses memory foam which changes the sound (in this case, for the worse).

And it's been extremely hard finding an earpad that sound exactly the same (despite looking identical physically).

I wear glasses too and haven't had a problem so far.

So hold on to the stock pad with your dear life lol. 😆
Okay that's interesting. Didn't know carbon foam is a thing! Makes sense about memory foam as the Geekria ones I took off today have indentations from repeated use with glasses from the previous owner.

That's good to hear hope they last a long time.

Haha I will do definitely!

In my experience, by far the most comfortable pads I've used were the lambskin pads on my (now sold) Alpha Primes. They were sumptuous, and had loads of space in them. I could wear them for hours and hours and I'd barely know they were there.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,746 of 1,838
My Schiit Modi 3 arrived late afternoon, and I've had a full evening with it (well 4 hours). I'm impressed. It pairs with Project Polaris & Denon D2000 beautifully. Huge difference compared to just using the Polaris with PC Line out!

I'm getting a lovely sound - very musical/fun. I was unsure if the Modi would be too hard edged but it's not harsh at all. There is plenty of detail, wide soundstage, shed loads of bass (sublime) but not muddy or overbearing, and mids are just right for me.

I think the Modi 3 & Project Polaris are complimentary. I was unsure if the Modi 3's AKM dac chip would be too dry (like how I found the Fiio K5 Pro) for me, but I think it retains timbre in instruments etc in way that the Fiio never did.

The Polaris adds the flavour to the sound from the Modi 3.

This is a great value setup, sounds brilliant, is compact, and looks cool too. I will not bother upgrading from this point for my home office.

Attachments

• signal-2021-01-12-154035.jpeg
    signal-2021-01-12-154035.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 12, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #1,748 of 1,838
That's good to hear though, like you said in the past I always find AKM dac sounded a bit dry so I tend to stick with ESS DACs. But good to know it's a good pairing here. 👍
Well for me, ESS (Sabre) are too sparkly and bright for my ears.

Overall my favourite Dac was the Gungnir Multibit, closely followed by Bifrost Multibit.

May head down that road again (budget and wife allowing) in future for listening in the lounge.

Possibly Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2 is a stretch to far these days now we focus on our daughter lol. Might push it to a Lyr 3 multibit perhaps... One day.

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #1,749 of 1,838
I got the amp! And finally have time to listen to it but the results is......... confusing....... do these amps need burn in?

Currently running PC 100% Volume -> Dragonfly Red -> Project Polaris.

And first impression is that it sounds........... flat........????? Also seperation is not good either, am I doing something wrong?

I've tested using PC line out instead and it's a bit better but it just sounds cold/metallic which is not what I expect from the reputation.

Previously I've tried Dragonfly Red -> Project Ember and Dragonfly Red -> Liquid Spark and both of of those were fine. Could I have a faulty unit or is that just how it is?????

Super confused now lol.

EDIT: It physically look super amazing though.

PXL_20210116_171345691.jpg

PXL_20210116_171409332.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #1,750 of 1,838
I got the amp! And finally have time to listen to it but the results is......... confusing....... do these amps need burn in?

Currently running PC 100% Volume -> Dragonfly Red -> Project Polaris.

And first impression is that it sounds........... flat........????? Also seperation is not good either, am I doing something wrong?

I've tested using PC line out instead and it's a bit better but it just sounds cold/metallic which is not what I expect from the reputation.

Previously I've tried Dragonfly Red -> Project Ember and Dragonfly Red -> Liquid Spark and both of of those were fine. Could I have a faulty unit or is that just how it is?????

Super confused now lol.

EDIT: It physically look super amazing though.
Hmm interesting. Personally I haven't heard what I think is a cold/analytical sound.

There are a number of settings on the amp that can change the sound... Maybe have a play?

The only setting I've changed is the impedance to low (jumper switch near headphone jack). I think it makes a noticeable difference. Give it a go.

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #1,753 of 1,838
Hmm interesting. Personally I haven't heard what I think is a cold/analytical sound.

There are a number of settings on the amp that can change the sound... Maybe have a play?

The only setting I've changed is the impedance to low (jumper switch near headphone jack). I think it makes a noticeable difference. Give it a go.
It's the first thing I change before I even listen to it lol. And the only setting I changed.

So right now it's with attenuation module, low gain, and low resistance.

That's why I'm so confused.

@Hyde00 What headphones are you using?

Lol yeah as M-83 said it's Denon AH-D2000 (25 Ohm).

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,754 of 1,838
It's the first thing I change before I even listen to it lol. And the only setting I changed.

So right now it's with attenuation module, low gain, and low resistance.

That's why I'm so confused.

Lol yeah as M-83 said it's Denon AH-D2000 (25 Ohm).
I'm not sure what to suggest to be honest.

Give it a bit of time to see if it warms and opens up with use.

I have been pleased with mine even on line out and very impressed with Schiit Modi 3.

Apologies for answering the question that was directed to you... I'm using my small smartphone screen at the moment and thought you were asking me which model headphone I'm using!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back