NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Apr 20, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #676 of 974
As a treble sensitive person, I have zero problems with TH-610's treble. I could not tolerate Fostex TH900 or AKG Q701, for instance. They both had much harsher treble. TH-610 has a very nice balance. It has detailed and airy treble without being sibilant and strident. On the other hand, Oppo PM-3 for instance, has great bass but very dull and subdued treble (also shouty mids) making them not very suitable for EDM whereas TH-610 is perfect for it.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #677 of 974
I'm happy to see a little action in this thread. I feel the 610's are really underrated, maybe because of all the Massdrop variations available. For me, the 610's are the 900's, only without the treble and bass extension. They're so smooth and enjoyable. And I feel they are a bargain at their current price.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #679 of 974
I get the impression that the X00's are the consumer-friendly tuning, whereas the 610's are more of an audiophile tuning. Maybe that helps explain the difference in popularity?

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #680 of 974

I'm happy to see a little action in this thread. I feel the 610's are really underrated, maybe because of all the Massdrop variations available. For me, the 610's are the 900's, only without the treble and bass extension. They're so smooth and enjoyable. And I feel they are a bargain at their current price.

I agree. I've heard countless headphones in this price range including popular headphones like HD700, Oppo PM-2, Nighthawk etc... TH-610 is better than all of them, in my opinion. Only ones I'm wondering about is Beyer DT1990 which is said to be very good as well. 

My TH-610's serial number is 492 by the way. Among the first 500. 
smile.gif

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #682 of 974
www.whathifi.com/fo

These get such a bad review on whathifi 2 out of 5 stars

A couple things. I just don't get the comments about harsh treble on these. And while I may not have most of the music handy they used in their review, I do have the Bowie song. And once again, I have no idea what they're complaining about. His vocals are not buried, I can hear them just fine. If you feel vocals should be ahead of all instruments, then you may be disappointed. I feel that everything is fairly even on these. They are slightly dark. But not to the point that it's a detriment to the other sound coming out of them. My two cents.

Ok, I'll admit when I'm wrong. Went ahead and listened to about 20 songs, different genres. And yeah, the vocals are a but buried. But I don't think it's to the point the review said.

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #683 of 974
www.whathifi.com/fo

These get such a bad review on whathifi 2 out of 5 stars

Every review is subjective to a degree, Whathifi's reviews are very much so.

Some positive reviews:

http://headphone.guru/fostex-th610-stereo-headphones/
https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/fostex-th-610/

Always trust your own ears, not someone else's. I bought Oppo PM-2 without audition because everyone seemed to like them. Well, I hated them and sold them the first chance I got. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #684 of 974
Great review. Everything you mentioned is the exact reasoning why I ordered the X00's. I want more bass, I like when bass bleeds into lower mids as it gives vocals depth and body and not so anemic. Treble on the 610's don't fatigue my ears but would prefer a more smooth treble and with your words on that, I feel very relaxed this will be a proper choice for me. I don't notice any grain in the treble like Tyll neither and haven't come across anyone else noticing it here. They seem airy, like a ribbon tweeter. I like the pads of the 610's. Hopefully the x00's aren't too different. I've always hated leather pads but those were from cheaper headphones and not of this quality. They don't make me sweat like cheap ones.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #685 of 974
I sold off the X00 because of too much bass. I got quickly fatigued by the always present bass.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #688 of 974
Jun 24, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #690 of 974
As forum threads are not searchable in its current form, I have to ask if redundantly.

Do you feel TH610's stock pads are really utilizing memory foams as stated? Or they are just soft but not actually slow-rebounding?
If you have been wearing a TH-X00, does TH610 feel apparently softer and less clamping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back