NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Oct 3, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #376 of 974

​Maybe it's a problem with production. What's you production-number? I Have 00092 and i would call them balanced and slightly U-shaped. I compared them to the AKG K550 today and the AKG are much harsher and do have less mids. It remains a mistery to me, but hey, I love mine 
smily_headphones1.gif

I also heard from hifisound, that a whole delivery was called back for production errors and the new batch will arrive mid october.  

Mine arrives in 3-4 days. I'm wondering if there is a way to spot these units with issues - by the serial number or some visual cues.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #378 of 974
I wouldn't worry too much about "units with issues". All because one negative review by Tyll people start to worry :)
"Grain" is for a big part purely subjective, Tyll's ears are not yours. Tyll makes no secret about his general distaste for brighter, more trebly headphones.
My D5000s, the pair Tyll disliked the most are for the biggest part smooth, fluid and liquid sounding, but not always, when I am physically not fit or when I come from a different pair of headphones, they can sound awful. But this works vice versa.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #379 of 974
  I wouldn't worry too much about "units with issues". All because one negative review by Tyll people start to worry :)
"Grain" is for a big part purely subjective, Tyll's ears are not yours. Tyll makes no secret about his general distaste for brighter, more trebly headphones.
My D5000s, the pair Tyll disliked the most are for the biggest part smooth, fluid and liquid sounding, but not always, when I am physically not fit or when I come from a different pair of headphones, they can sound awful. But this works vice versa.

I also heard from hifisound, that a whole delivery was called back for production errors and the new batch will arrive mid october.  

This is what worries me, not Tyll,

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #381 of 974
  The batch was called back by the quality control, before they reached the consumer market. That's why they have a long waiting period in Germany.  So no worries.

Ah, great. I understood that Hifisound sold some units with issues and decided to complain to Fostex, return the batch and wait for a new one. Other distributors might just continue selling what they have. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #382 of 974
No, sorry for the misunderstanding. I was just surprised by these very different reviews. Maybe they really need burn-in time, because i have the feeling that mine sounded more balanced after a couple of days, but maybe that's just me getting used to their sound-signature.

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #383 of 974
I have about 10-20 hours on mine so far and can already tell the mids are opening up a little. I am really looking forward to getting a couple hundred hours on these and see what they sound like. Very much enjoying my purchase so far, and the dark walnut looks beautiful. Heres a pic I snapped of mine. 

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #384 of 974
I absolutely love the walnut. Love. My one tiny niggle is the gap between the wood cups and the surround the yoke mounts to. I'd maybe consider removing the cups to paint the wood in that void black, but maybe not.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #386 of 974
Check out Innerfidelity's comparison... Not that away in this thread :wink:

Enviado desde mi H1

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #387 of 974
Ordered a pair. I'll be driving them with a Bifrost Über to Elekit TU-8200 with Mullard KT88 tubes. This and my HD-800 I think will keep me happy for a long long time. Though I would love to track down a Bottlehead Smack, but they are proving elusive.

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #388 of 974
Ordered a pair. I'll be driving them with a Bifrost Über to Elekit TU-8200 with Mullard KT88 tubes. This and my HD-800 I think will keep me happy for a long long time. Though I would love to track down a Bottlehead Smack, but they are proving elusive.

I think that's a golden combination that will keep you happy for a very long time.

At least the headphones won't let you down whatever you venture out to do on the tube front. Smack would be fun to play around with hand-picking quality components..

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #389 of 974
That's exactly what I want to do with the Smack. Building and tweaking is half the fun for me. Having 25 and 300 ohm headphones means output transformers for me. The Mainline is just too much money for me to drop, I may do a little modifying of my 8200.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #390 of 974
I'm admittedly a "new audiophile", I've only been in the high-end headphone game for a year. But I've really thrown myself into the hobby.
In that time I've owned the following headphones:
-Sennheiser 558
-Sennheiser 600 and 650
-Philips Fidelio X2
-Oppo PM-3
-PSB M4U 1
-Audio Technica R70x
-Audio Technica MSR7
-Fostex TRP50 MkIII

Not including the Fostex Th-610s, I've reduced my collection down to HD 650s. Which I adore. 

This isn't exactly a review, just some impressions. I hope it helps those considering purchasing a pair of Th-600s.

I just got mine in yesterday and have really positive impressions so far. There is definitely mildly recessed mids, but not devastatingly so. I've burned them in for maybe 7 hours and it seems like things are opening up. They did initially have the infamous "glue smell", which was extremely concerning. However after just a day the smell is gone. They sound good, really good. Extremely rich and smooth at NO cost of resolution and fidelity. These are the most detailed headphones I've ever heard and they sttill are smooth and don't fatigue me. 

The build quality is excellent, and the pads are exquisite. One of my only complaints is that they fit loose on my (what I consider large) head. This is my first experience with the classic Denon/Fostex frame, so that might contribute to it. 

The $600 price tag hurts, but the more I listen the more I feel like I made an amazing purchase.

Quote:
  Mine are 00381, sound full and smooth across the board with very solid, thick and pleasant low end.

Intestines, cups etc are without fault - disassembly here.

Yes I agree--extremely smooth and pleasant and rich. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back